The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl roof revisited?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl roof revisited?
    Posted: 11-January-2018 at 7:55AM
I bought a nice 1972 Montego MX Brogham.  Triple green.  It's solid and shiny with very little rust.  It was a drag car for several years and is gutted (dash, wiring, etc.), and before that, it was garaged.  I'm going to hang all of my mechanicals on it, and it'll be a nice driver.  

The car has a nice, full un-padded vinyl roof.  There is no bubbling, no visible signs of rust.  The roof itself is smooth and consistent.  There are are just a few 1/4" long cracks in the surface of the vinyl.

How soon should I pull the vinyl off?  Should I seal it somehow in the mean time?

Edited by SPLUHAR - 11-January-2018 at 8:06AM
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2018 at 8:36AM
tough call, get the tears repaired and hope the rest of it doesn't act like a sponge?

what product seals a vinyl roof?

FWIW a new vinyl roof isn't crazy $ but could mean doing the headliner also
72 GT Ute

SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2018 at 8:45AM
Idk if i want to put a new vinyl roof back on.  I'm thinking about de-trimming it (all the easier ones anyway), gently cutting the vinyl where it disappears, then sanding and painting the roof a nice contrasting color (or black).  I once saw a 1964 Tempest that was beige with a darker toned painted roof that looked great.  All of the trim was replaced after it was painted.
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2018 at 11:22AM
If you have a vinyl roof car with zero rust, you are indeed fortunate. I'd get that vinyl off asap and paint the roof. It will indeed look nice a contrasting color.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2018 at 1:15PM
i wouldn't leave any hidden vinyl remains, it'll hold water

what does the vinyl do at the front & rear window openings,
i can't imagine the butyl sealer is on top of vinyl?

guys on both sides of the fence here.

my vote would be the 2 tone paint & keep the trim

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-January-2018 at 1:28PM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2018 at 5:00PM
get rid of the vinyl!!
just remove the trim everywhere it meets the vinyl and peel it off Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2018 at 4:24AM
REGUL8R said "...Ford installed the vinyl after the painted the cars and BEFORE the installed anything else!" in a post from a couple of years ago.  I'll go as deep as I feel comfortable going, cut it off w/ a razor blade, and possibly silicone the edge that's left.  I'm not pulling the headliner or glass at this point.  If in need to for some reason later down the road, I will.
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2018 at 6:23AM
[QUOTE=unlovedford]If you have a vinyl roof car with zero rust, you are indeed fortunate. I'd get that vinyl off asap and paint the roof. It will indeed look nice a contrasting color./QUOTE]

Yes I do, and am!!!  Started peeling the bulk of it off and, yes, zero rust.  Still have to de-trim it and get all of that off, and "may as well" change out some door weather stripping, and I'll have to have the windshield swapped out (off of the old car) bc it's cracked, and i'll take care of that area.  All of the glue is still nice, paint below is perfect (except where the razor blade dug into it a little).  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2018 at 3:39PM
Wow, you're lucky there is no rust.  Post some pics if you have a chance. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 12-January-2018 at 3:40PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2018 at 5:10AM
I'm going to pick up a trim tool, today or tomorrow, and de-trim it.  Once all of the top is off I'll take some pics.
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2018 at 5:15AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

what does the vinyl do at the front & rear window openings,
i can't imagine the butyl sealer is on top of vinyl?

Some of the vinyl around the back window is coming off in-tact.  It just makes a 90 deg towards the interior and stops, it seems.  I have to get the trim off to be sure, though.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2018 at 6:07AM
i don't think it's under the window sealant but could be???
 worst part is removing all the vinyl glue Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2018 at 6:10AM
I have taken off the windshield trim and rear window trim.  No rust.  The vinyl goes 1/4" to 3/8" past the edge of the trim and stops.  It looks like the rivets for the trim were installed after the vinyl.

The glue comes right off with a Scotch light duty rust and paint remover for a drill.  30 seconds had a 12" x 18" area cleaned down to where I was starting to see patches of primer. 

Next will be tackling the drip channel molding and remainder of the trim around the bottom edges of the vinyl.  Pics will follow at some point.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2018 at 11:34AM
Is yours painted under the vinyl???
Many/most aren't.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2018 at 5:58AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Is yours painted under the vinyl???
Many/most aren't.

Yes.  Green like the rest of the car.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2018 at 12:40PM
what assembly plant?

i forget what digit of the VIN it is Embarrassed
72 GT Ute

SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2018 at 7:47AM
2nd digit "H" - Lorain, Oh.

normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2018 at 6:15AM
I revisited some vintage photos to see if my Torino from high school was painted under the vinyl.  Rust bubbles were in the typical spots around the sides of the rear window (Sportsroof).  This was my first 72 GTS I bought in 1978 and removed the vinyl during the summer if 1979.  There was definitely paint on the quarter panel covered in vinyl and some just above the quarter panel /roof skin joint, but the top of the roof skin did not appear to be painted.  In the background it was great seeing my parent's 66 Ford Country Sedan I learned to drive on.

I knew the roof skin was toast when I purchased (2008) the one I have now.  I removed the vinyl roof and found fiberglass from a cheap fix probably in the 90's.  Did not hold up well at all.
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2018 at 2:59AM
Does anybody need a roof?  The roof on my Elite (which is right now, my daily driver) has a good roof except for right at the bottom of the back window, which i have pieces to fix.  I also have a bunch of other good parts, that if anybody needs, we can possibly work something out.  The complete drivetrain and suspension is going to be pulled out of the Elite and installed into the Montego.  There are good parts on the Montego that'll end up on the Elite, just to keep the Elite looking ok while in the driveway, and to ease it being dragged away once everything is pulled off.
 Post Reply Post Reply