The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grant steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grant steering wheel
    Posted: 14-January-2018 at 12:25AM
Just trying to fit a grant steering wheel boss to a 74 Gran Torino and the horn pin connectors on the column don't lined up with the pins on the back of the boss and are shorting the horn out,can't get through to Grant to ask them.Any ideas ?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2018 at 5:55AM
are you using grant #3249 kit?
Grant 3249 Installation Kit
on these cars, there are 2 horn sections it's positive in positive out to the horn (not not negative grounding through a relay like other vehicles!!)
what wheel are you using? if it has the small plastic grant horn button... you'll need to clip off the brass rod on the side of the button or it will short out! ask me how i know Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rob1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2018 at 6:20AM
Hi.Yes that's the one.I'm using the classic chrome Cora wheel but the 2 copper ring don't line up with the pins and so the horn blows,I would put a picture up but I can't work out how to do it !
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2018 at 7:54AM
hmm... maybe the pins are bent? or something in the plastic is dislocated? is the copper rings on the hub centered? maybe that's defective?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jbach72gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach72gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2018 at 3:23PM
I had a similar experience with the 3249 kit where I thought the 2 contacts weren't lining up, but the shorting and sparks in the steering column were caused by a spring loaded pin at the top of the column that protruded out, contacting the ring.

I ended up disassembling the steering column to get the circlip off that pin, then pulled it out the front.

If you find that pin to be the cause, be careful disassembling the column bc once you remove the 2 nuts behind the turn signal switch, the 2 connecting bolts fall out. They're a bugger to get back in.
 Post Reply Post Reply