The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member with a long journey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with a long journey
    Posted: 05-March-2018 at 1:59PM
Hello, everyone, my name is Dave and I have a 1973 Gran Torino Sport that I am in the process of restoring.  I'm afraid that I have owned this car for 20 years and have not done much work on it until the last year and a half.  In the spring of 1973 I bought my first new car, a 1973 white Gran Torino Sport with the blue laser stripe, 351 auto, and competition suspension.  My present car is blue with the laser stripe, 429 auto, and competition suspension.  The body is presently off the frame getting some final metal work done  by a friend and I have the rest of it at home getting ready to tear it apart and sending the engine out for refreshing.  Color choice at this time is my quandry not being sure if I want it white like my first one or the original blue.  Hopefully I will have it back on the road by mid to late summer barring any major unforseen problems.  Looking forward to gaining information from this forum and advice from its members.  Thanks in advance  -  Dave  

Edited by 1973gts - 05-March-2018 at 3:32PM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2018 at 2:02PM
welcome dave! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2018 at 2:54PM
You've come to the right place. Welcome
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2018 at 2:57PM
Welcome to the group!! We love pics!!!
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2018 at 12:33AM
Welcome! As far as the paint choice goes, If you decide to go white, Ford in the 90's had a incredible pearl white they used on the Thunderbirds. REALLY pops in the sun. Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2018 at 6:48AM
Welcome to the forum!  Great story and looks like a great car.  We all love to follow projects, so feel free to start a project thread to update us on the progress of your restoration.

N-code cars are very rare and I think that blue was one of the nicest colours for the '73s.  My vote is to put it back to the original colour.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2018 at 8:03AM
Welcome and nice car! Looking forward to seeing the progress. I kinda like the blue myself, but I'm biased... Thumbs Up
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2018 at 2:52AM
Welcome Dave! I also have a 73' GTS, looks like your are making good progress on your car. Keep the photos coming!!
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2018 at 5:47AM
Welcome , car looks good . I have seen a lot worse cars getting rebuilt .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2018 at 1:54PM
Nice. going to be a beautiful car when it's done. Where did you source the inner wheel tubs?

Clayton
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2018 at 5:21PM
Desert Valley Auto Parts, needed a little work but they were in pretty nice shape.  Price was reasonable and since they are so uncommon it was cheaper than having my existing ones reworked.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2018 at 2:51AM
Nice GTS and welcome to the site!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2018 at 2:30PM
Welcome to the site. Love seeing another GTS coming back.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2018 at 10:20AM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

Welcome! As far as the paint choice goes, If you decide to go white, Ford in the 90's had a incredible pearl white they used on the Thunderbirds. REALLY pops in the sun. Thumbs Up

I agree that the Pearl White is a great choice. If I am lucky enough to find one in white, that needs a new coat, that would be my choice.

I saw a white 72 online in PA. that had my heart beating extra hard but it is gone.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2018 at 1:20AM
nice car... welcome
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2023 at 3:50PM
Well, I can't believe it's been this long since I started this project but I will admit it was a lot more involved than I originally thought it would be.  Anyway I would say I have reached the 95% stage and have finally started to go to a Tuesday night local weekly old car gathering at a place called Fricanos Pizza.  The owner usually has a band or DJ playing and the first turn out last week had about 80 cars.  Tonight the weather was pretty hot (92) and turnout was affected but still a nice gathering.  I am working out some carb/fuel pump issues but it runs good enough that I feel safe going to local gatherings.   Here are some photos of the car as she is today.

And of course once you mention pizza everyone wants to go..

Anyway, I have finally gotten to the point where I can enjoy the car.  What I have left to do are minor things and I truly want to thank the members of this forum for the guidance, advice, and also the help with locating parts.  I have joined a few forums and I have to say that this one is a real pleasure to belong to due to the friendliness of the members, the willingness to offer help and guidance without criticism for at times simple questions, and also that those responsible for this forum do such a great job overseeing the day to day operation of it.  It is greatly appreciated  -  Dave 

Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 1:57AM
That car turned out great Dave!  I like the blacked out grille, you don't see many others doing that on the '73s.  It works really well with the blue paint.

Do you want me to move your thread to the project section instead of the Welcome mat?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 2:36AM
Thanks, Vince, It's nice to finally be driving it on a fairly regular basis.  Concerning the grill being black I saw that on Sabatonas car and really liked the contrast with the blue on his car and went with it. As to moving this to the project section I was planning on compiling a somewhat timeline on my build and do an after the fact thread on it in the project heading.  I have to get the pics and info organized and will hopefully do it in the near future.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 8:31AM
Well done. And black grilles always look good. Better actually than argent but admit I am somewhat biased.
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 11:29AM
Good job fella, enjoy!
Al
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 11:42AM
That's awesome Dave, well done. I'm glad you are starting to enjoy it now, keep driving it and it should be easy to keep up with things.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply