The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Manual Transmission Pedal from MDL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Manual Transmission Pedal from MDL
    Posted: 20-March-2018 at 6:08PM
Starting a discussion. Through the work of John {BackinBlack} working with an aftermarket company, I have some fantastic news to announce. I am waiting on more information but I feel it's really important to start the discussion here. 

We have a supplier in process of producing 72+ clutch pedals, and related manual transmission conversion parts. Modern Driveline has these in stock!

Updating with link as it is now posted on MDL's website, as of January 2022:

Part number: SKU: MD-402-7276T-C

No more overpriced factory, worn out parts. 
Modern conversion pieces to hydraulic clutches, along with other pieces and parts for a COMPLETE manual transmission conversion when going to a Tremec TKO or T-56.

What I need from people is good, clear, detailed information on conversions that have been done. 
What was good/bad/ugly. I can't stress the need more right now about good information being needed.

Parts are due to be ready around mid-April.

There is a good deal more to discuss, and I will update this post as I have time. 

My key thing here is I want to make sure we support companies willing to produce some really hard to find parts and have put time and effort into conversions where your typically mechanically inclined person with a little work and time can convert a factory automatic pedal hanger to a manual transmission.

More to Follow.

Andrew

*edited 9-3-2018 with pics and info. 

Additional information, Revised January 2022:

Pedal p/n is MD-402-7276T-C and is $215.00.

It does not include any springs or linkage. 

The pedal uses MD-412-6568-DB pedal pad kit for $29.00 (brake and clutch w/trim rings).

Edited by Eliteman76 - 19-January-2022 at 3:14PM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2018 at 6:54PM
Sounds really promising.

But will this support a swap to a toploader from an automatic as well? At least the pedal I would think? Not sure which way I am going at this point. Really leaning towards a toploader with the Gear Vendors o/d.

Thanks,
Russ
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2018 at 11:22PM
I REALLY hope this come to pass.  I could probably adapt it to the 'bird.  Would LOVE to put a stick in the beast. Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 1:29AM
this would be great , looking forward to more updates .Clap
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 2:05AM
This is great news!!!
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 2:36AM
Currently I have a 94 Mustang clutch pedal assembly and brake booster I was going to attempt to adapt.

Definitely would be interested in something a little more specifically designed for the Torino chassis. I don't think it would be hard to manufacture a pedal assembly that would work with z-bar, cable, or hydraulic setups. I've seen conversion kits for other Fords that adapt original clutch pedals to cable and hydraulic setups so a redesign to fit our cars shouldn't be too hard. Cost would be my biggest concern. I am eager to see what they come up with and if it truly can be fabricated and sold at a reasonable price. The market isn't as guaranteed as it is for the Mustang or Brand X vehicles.
Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 7:40AM
You must've been reading my diary...was gearing up for the headache of trying to adapt something to suit a T56..I'm definitely keen on a kit...will keep an eye on this thread...nice one mate
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 8:20AM
I just bolted in a Tilton pedal box, also gave me adjustable bias brakes and progressive throttle linkage
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 8:50AM
I've been waiting for pictures and info, the first back of clutch pedals are due for sale in April. I've asked if they can bring the finished product to the All Ford Nationals in June as I will be attending. This will be a bolt in affair for the clutch pedal. 

Now, concerning the linkage, the goal honestly is to update over to a modern Hydraulic throw out bearing with remote mounted reservoir. Something either small block or big block cars can utilize. Something that honestly anyone from 1972 to 1979 with a Ford intermediate can build.

I'm also highly interested in learning if the 1972+ full size cars, like the LTD {Think Burt Reynolds - White Lightning 4 speed LTD} as an example use the same steering column pedal support and brake pedal assembly as the Torino. 
Not that I honestly expect a bunch of Lincoln Mark 5 owners to want to swap as well, but hell I'd build a T-56 backed Lincoln Mark V in triple black if I had the time and money.

The key thing is the market opens up a number of cars that could be converted to manual transmissions easily with a single kit that an average mechanically inclined guy can install over a weekend.

To answer the question about retaining an all-factory Z bar set up:
I can't answer that as of yet. I know everything off the pedal stet John supplied was measure, and modeled in Autocad. They were sent all parts from my understanding.

I've had discussions with the company owner in the last two days about specific details and they want to make sure the kit offered is high quality, reliable, and made to last.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 8:55AM
Originally posted by IndyLTD I I IndyLTD I I wrote:

Currently I have a 94 Mustang clutch pedal assembly and brake booster I was going to attempt to adapt.

Definitely would be interested in something a little more specifically designed for the Torino chassis. I don't think it would be hard to manufacture a pedal assembly that would work with z-bar, cable, or hydraulic setups. I've seen conversion kits for other Fords that adapt original clutch pedals to cable and hydraulic setups so a redesign to fit our cars shouldn't be too hard. Cost would be my biggest concern. I am eager to see what they come up with and if it truly can be fabricated and sold at a reasonable price. The market isn't as guaranteed as it is for the Mustang or Brand X vehicles.

Clutch pedal kit will be around $200 mark. I was told as of today, if they know specifically it's from Gran Torino Sport {I also plan on posting up details on TorinoCobra.com and FordMuscle.com} that they will extend a 10% discount for our site.

With that said that's JUST the pedal kit from my understanding. The original automatic brake pedal may need to have the pad trimmed down and a new manual transmission rubber pad installed as the original automatic pad is too wide.
There will still be the linkage portion that's needed when converting over to a hydraulic throw out bearing which is around $600 or so, unless you have an OEM Z bar and frame and bell house mounts.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 21-March-2018 at 8:59AM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 9:02AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

Sounds really promising.

But will this support a swap to a toploader from an automatic as well? At least the pedal I would think? Not sure which way I am going at this point. Really leaning towards a toploader with the Gear Vendors o/d.

Thanks,
Russ

In the case of the toploader, it would still work but keep in mine the conversion is geared to work with an adapter kit to go to a hydraulic throw out bearing, which could easily be done with the Toploader. No different than say setting up a TKO500.

I considered a gear vendors at one time but I looked more at the route of TKO/T-56 myself.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 9:02AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

I just bolted in a Tilton pedal box, also gave me adjustable bias brakes and progressive throttle linkage

Nuggets, the goal here is being able to easily adapt into a stock setup to a high degree. Personally I'd love to see your setup but the goal here was to replicate the stock components and make something easily bolt in with no need to deviate to a high degree from the OEM clutch pedal setup.

I know myself I was considering Wilwood's clutch reservoir system tied to my original pedal.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 9:05AM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

I REALLY hope this come to pass.  I could probably adapt it to the 'bird.  Would LOVE to put a stick in the beast. Thumbs Up

I don't know if there are any differences in the 77-79 pedal hangers compared to the 72-76 stuff for the Torino. Knowing Ford though it's one of the parts they left alone over the 8-9 year run on our era of cars.

I'd love to see a couple pictures of the pedal setup / steering column hanger from a 77-79 LTD2/T-bird/Cougar/Ranchero.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2018 at 12:56PM
I wonder how this would fit in a Panther chassis (Boxcar LTD)
I beat my head against the wall 16 years ago trying to figure out a hydraulic setup from a 90s F150 to run a 300 inline and 5 speed M5OD in my T-Bird. Interweb back then was less than helpful.
Pedals would have been a great help.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 10:41AM
I think I did my entire auto to hydro clutch swap without modifying or welding a single part of the original car. All my parts were fabricated from laser cut sheet metal, bent, and welded on the bench. The hardest part to make myself, if I can remember, was heat treating the bearing race inside the needle bearing for the pedal swing. The entire setup is also adjustable in almost every way possible for different master cylinder sizes and pedal positioning. There are quite a few details in my project thread.
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 10:45AM
Oh, I almost forgot. I moved the brake pedal pad over towards the gas pedal before I even did the swap. It was only because I was used to it that way from my other cars.  I'm sure it would have needed to be moved for the swap anyways though. It was a very simple job if I can remember.
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 11:39AM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/billy-cs-72-gts-better-late-than-never_topic5080_page14.html

I have the cad files for the entire thing somewhere on some hard drive. Can't believe how long ago that was. There are a few things I'd do differently if I had to remake it of course.
-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2018 at 12:21AM
This is great news if it comes to fruition. Please keep us posted Andy. I have asked John to do a write-up on the tremec install too which I want to add to the technical section.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2018 at 1:38PM
I saw this posted on the FB group by Andy, so I thought I'd share it here so everyone can see.  Apparently Modern Driveline is introducing a clutch pedal kit for the 1972-79 Torinos et al.  It's part number MD-402-7276T-C.
Here's an example of their work on the website:

It looks like Andy will be posting more info on this on the forum soon, but in the mean time this is what he posted on Facebook:

Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Well look at what I got today from our friends at MDL...Modern Driveline Inc. 1972+ clutch pedal.
Heavy stout piece.
Say goodby to overpriced factory pedal sets kids, and say hello to being able to adapt the 72-79 automatic pedal hangers to manual transmission goodness.
$195.00 from MDL.
If you mention you are from GranTorinoSport.org they will give an additional discount.

I’ll also say MDL also built my clutch package and helped me so let’s do what we can to support these guys!

Also as an FYI I am working with them and sending a firewall and 72-73 parts I had and ‘76 brake parts with the help of Justin Wicker.

Lastly John P. Steinberger was HUGE in this as he sent them a factory pedal set to get this ball rolling.

John’s car is set up with hydroboost but I’m working with MDL to get them to develop a hydraulic conversion kit similar to American Powertrain’s firewall kit they make.

I’ll be posting things to the forum but I wanted to share this good news.

This is the reason I’ve been asking members to post up on the forum on the thread to share details and pictures. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 1:00AM
Does this run the Z-Bar or some kind of hydraulic setup?

-Billy Conturo
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 4:05AM
It appears that it will work with a Z-Bar and it might be possible to adapt this to a cable style clutch, using parts that are already made for other Ford 4 and 5 speed conversions. The parts that Andy is sending to MDL will be for a hydraulic slave setup. Andy's goal is a kit that works with a standard power brake booster on the firewall and no need for Hydro boost. MDL said they need to work on the firewall mount.

Edited by dave302 - 19-June-2018 at 3:16AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 6:14AM
What Dave posted above is what I believe is correct.  I am hoping Andy will come on here and explain the details.  I literally just copied his FB post to put it on here so that those not on FB could see this info.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 18-June-2018 at 6:15AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2018 at 11:10PM
Hey guys, sorry it's been a bit. Work and life have been a mess of sorts.
Anyways, the pedal is directly meant to install on an automatic car, or replace an existing manual pedal.

Modern Driveline has told me they have these on the shelf now and ready to ship.

They are not reproducing the factory Z bar setup, these will be for use with mainly hydraulic conversions.

Vince, I think I mentioned this awhile back but any progress on getting a Manual Transmission section added into the forum? Also, I'd like to sticky this thread as well as I feel it's important we let folks know there are options out there. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2018 at 11:15PM
And I never thought I was as happy as I was to have saved a Torino firewall. 
I was glad to send this, along with a bunch of 1972 and 75-76 Brake parts and two steering columns to them for testing and fitment.

I need to follow up with the guys and see if they have managed to do much in fitment. Paul at Modern Driveline worked with John on this originally and I'm really hoping this helps to get a complete package for vacuum brake cars set up soon.
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2018 at 11:18PM
I just looked on their Pedal page, not listed yet.
Russ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2018 at 8:00AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

I just looked on their Pedal page, not listed yet.
Russ

They have it, but not added yet. They need to update things on this website.

Also, as an FYI they are selling the pedal trim and pad. Here is the info I had from MDL:

The pedal p/n is MD-402-7276T-C and is $195.00.

It does not include any springs or linkage. The pedal uses MD-412-6568-DB pedal pad kit for $29.00 (brake and clutch w/trim rings).

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 1:26PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

This is great news if it comes to fruition. Please keep us posted Andy. I have asked John to do a write-up on the tremec install too which I want to add to the technical section.

Ooops
I completely forgot about that Tremec stuff...
I have already did a clutch pedal swap and a hydraulic clutch setup.   I used Mustangsteve bearing and race kit to hang the pedals.  Moderndriveline helped with the slave cylinder position and pedal position/setup.   I was their Guinea pig.

They 3D scanned all my pedals (manual and auto) with linkage to develop it.   They were very helpful and a great resource.   It was a challenge to get the slave cylinder positioned correctly and get the pedal geometry setup correctly.  Its all good now.  

For some reason I'm not getting notices when people update the links.  Months go by before I get an email notifying me that someone posted.   Not sure why.

-John
1973 GTS
mean steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mean steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 1:49PM
I used a 94 mustang peddle box to convert mine.wanted to use the cable setup so I didn't have to change headers. I own a welder so might not be that easy for everyone but the box from the mustang is 2 pices6. Split it. Cut automatic brake pedal pad off. Welded clutch side of pedal box to my original much like done in the mustang. Clutch pedal shaft runs through to locate quadrant over throttle pedal. Cable exits next to throttle cable. Used the brake pedal pad from mustang
It wasn't that bad. Much cheaper option than sourcing factory parts.
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 2:52PM
Great idea to add to a DIY guide.   Cables are great idea for relocating access through the firewall without changing pedals or geometry.
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2019 at 12:30PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Great idea to add to a DIY guide.   Cables are great idea for relocating access through the firewall without changing pedals or geometry.

+1, a DIY guide would be great.  We can add it to the how-to section of the forum.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>