The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cigarette Lighter Power Feed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cigarette Lighter Power Feed
    Posted: 25-March-2018 at 7:23AM
I have both physically looked at the harness itself and the wiring diagram and wanted to know if anyone can confirm that this junction (below the radio) is the feed for the clock (with the rally pack). I'm looking to use an existing power source for the radio memory. The clock didn't keep time and I'm not really that interested in it working either.

Edited by lynchster - 25-March-2018 at 7:24AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
qcode72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2018 at 11:45AM
Blue wire shown is for lighter.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2018 at 12:53PM
From what I can see in the wiring diagram, the clock is supposed to have a LG-Y (light-green yellow) wire.  It goes to an connector, but not one shared with the cigarette lighter. 

Why not just run a splice off the cigarette lighter wire? 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2018 at 3:12PM

According to what I'm seeing in the car and wiring diagram mine is Light Blue and White and that the clock is tied to the lighter. I'm almost certain the previous dash pick is that junction (the straight up wire being the clock ?) but I thought I'd run it past a bunch of other Torino people too.     

I'm figuring to tap the lighter for the memory by either creating a jumper at that intersection or if I verify it's just the clock I'll unplug the clock. This way I'm not cutting the harness to do it.   

Edited by lynchster - 25-March-2018 at 3:14PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2018 at 3:47PM
just reach up there to the back of the clock and unplug it, blk wire is the ground the other is the hot to the clock, it's a lt blue wire (dont recall the stripe color) it only runs to the clockWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2018 at 6:07PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

just reach up there to the back of the clock and unplug it, blk wire is the ground the other is the hot to the clock, it's a lt blue wire (dont recall the stripe color) it only runs to the clockWink

I'm looking to tap it right there in the first picture. If I'm right I can pull that wire and put a bullet connector on the lead for the radio and plug it in right there.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2018 at 1:15AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

According to what I'm seeing in the car and wiring diagram mine is Light Blue and White and that the clock is tied to the lighter. I'm almost certain the previous dash pick is that junction (the straight up wire being the clock ?) but I thought I'd run it past a bunch of other Torino people too.     

I'm figuring to tap the lighter for the memory by either creating a jumper at that intersection or if I verify it's just the clock I'll unplug the clock. This way I'm not cutting the harness to do it.   

Sorry Chuck.  I looked at the wiring diagram a little too quick.  I looked at the standard cluster setup not the performance cluster.  In any case, I found the section you posted above and yes I believe you are correct.  That appears to be the splice in the wiring diagram.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply