The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct clutch fork?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 3:20PM
i'm getting dizzy seems like your threads are crossed up with the conversion featuring the fork and the fork thread featuring the conversion

anyway here's a pic of the frame holes i found on a 1972 FMX automatic equipped car, i constructed quite an extension with universals to tighten my hardware from the first opportunity where the frame is open. no manual transmissions after 1973 so no pivot ball mount holes in the frame in 1974. Comet & Maverick are unibody so fasteners are not going to be the same, no comparison

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-April-2018 at 3:22PM
72 GT Ute

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 3:30PM
Ahhh yes. No comparison with the comet but the point being made that if there was a nut under the bolt it would show it. So no 4 speed ranchero in 74? I guess that's why there were no holes at all in the frame

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 04-April-2018 at 3:23AM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 6:04PM
I know the postings are all over the place, sorry.

Ok so no manual in 74.
The thing is though, I had the same holes on the top of my frame jus like in the picture Rockatansky put up.
But that was it, no nuts welded in them, jus the holes.
That's why I opened up the bottom of the frame so I could get the hardware in and the mount bolted up to the frame.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 8:14PM
so they did just leave the holes in production, 'engineers' say it's more expensive to change something than to make it right Wacko but yeah i made up an extension to hold my bolts and snake them through pointing upward through the frame then i used a thin jam nut to keep them and recreate the height of the riv-nuts. since i didn't use the riv-nuts i was able to use upsized 7/16" bolts rather than the factory size

Duh, now i get why your holes look like they're in a different place than mine Clap

72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 8:53PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

so they did just leave the holes in production, 'engineers' say it's more expensive to change something than to make it right Wacko but yeah i made up an extension to hold my bolts and snake them through pointing upward through the frame then i used a thin jam nut to keep them and recreate the height of the riv-nuts. since i didn't use the riv-nuts i was able to use upsized 7/16" bolts rather than the factory size

Duh, now i get why your holes look like they're in a different place than mine Clap

Yeah this picture I took was from the bottom. Actually cut out a like piece of the bottom today so I had better access to the nuts.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2018 at 3:18PM
Spray some paint on it before you do the install. Rustoleum is a good sealing paint that will last way beyond the next clutch.

I snapped a rusted out fork on a pickup one time. 4x4 K-20. Not an easy fix.

Edited by handsofstone - 16-April-2018 at 3:19PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2018 at 6:22PM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Spray some paint on it before you do the install. Rustoleum is a good sealing paint that will last way beyond the next clutch.

I snapped a rusted out fork on a pickup one time. 4x4 K-20. Not an easy fix.

Copy that Roberto Duran, haha. Your handle is awesome.
I actually sprayed it a day or so after with some black primer. Did that with the trans tunnel cut out as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 6:21AM
primer is not paint, i hosed my brackets & fork with Harbor Freight rattle can Black after welding the pins to the stampings. they were loose & wobbled out

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 9:29AM
Nice job. We did plenty of welding at Aamco. Lot of greasing too. The old setups would squeak like heck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 9:59AM
looking at the pics i think it's Rust-O brush on

they'll get another coat before it's over
72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:03PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

primer is not paint, i hosed my brackets & fork with Harbor Freight rattle can Black after welding the pins to the stampings. they were loose & wobbled out

Ok, I'll make sure that I get some actual paint on it. I have it up in the air now. So that'll make it easier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:05PM
Primer is a sponge for paint.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 5:43PM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Primer is a sponge for paint.

Got you. Sprayed it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12