The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy
    Posted: 30-March-2018 at 5:55PM
Hello everyone. My name is David and I'm from sunny southern California, Orange county area.
I recently started working on my long long term project car.
I bought a 1974 ranchero 500 back in 1997 when I was 14 for 900 bucks from the junkyard. Body was really straight and it had a salvaged title, no big deal though. Around 8 years ago I swapped the front clip with a 72 donor ranchero I found.
Originally I had a FMX 3 speed but I wanted to put a 4 speed in it. I've slowly piecemealed the parts for a tranny swap or at least the big pieces. All the little nuances and tiny nickle and dime parts I had no idea I needed for this conversation are very draining, but worth it. This tranny conversation is been a long time coming. I've wanted to do it for quite a while. My pops did this back in 96 with a 72 GTS. We had it for a very long time and then he sold it to "72GTS351CJ" and if you've every seen pictures from his posts, the now green GTS is the car my pops let me drive on my high school graduation day. But that's another story for another time.

The last few things I have to do to mine are the:

Clutch fork
Driveshaft
Output shaft yoke
Speedo gear
Cut a hole in the trans tunnel

Then all thats left is to reassemble it and test drive to see if I'm as gooda wrench as my pops. I'll post pictures of all the work I've done soon..
Thanks for the warm welcome to the community.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2018 at 6:20PM
Glad you made it here. You should find all your questions answered. Great bunch of guys. Say hello to your dad. -Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 3:35AM
hi david... welcome
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 5:54AM
Welcome David! Great story and very cool that your dad owned Ricks car before hand. Wishing you lots of luck with your new project. Post some pics when you have a chance
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 6:47AM
welcome! cool story, any other stories like showing off in front of the highschool????LOL i'm originally from so cal myselfWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 7:36AM
Yeah Johnny.
Sorry Rick, haha, but we had fun in it right before we sent it to you.

The night before my pops loaded up the GTS to send it to it's new home out in New York.
We went to the high school and my dad let my sister and I drive it one last time. My sis wasn't very versed at driving stick and she was scared.
My turn was next and I left the parking lot and banged gears, laid some tracks down at a stop light. Went back to the parking lot and spun Brodies. Basically drove it like I stole it, or how I used to drive it when my dad wasn't around, but this time he was.
My pops went last.
He laid down the gnarliest burnout I had ever seen him do.
It was a nice send off for the car we had for ten years.

Edited by Dmarc28 - 31-March-2018 at 7:37AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 7:45AM
So let me get this straight..... This so called "babied torino" had the snot kicked out of it before sending it to N.Y..... Also your father said he was the only one who drove it while he owned it. Which probably stands true. I wired him the money a month before I received the car. So you guys were beating the crap out of my car. Too funny. All good. The drivetrain was out of it 6mos later. Great story

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 7:53AM
I have something really cool for you if you want. Pops old stereo out of his Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 7:54AM
You pay shipping...Its yours
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 8:12AM
Haha yeah, we did.

In the entire time we owned that car I only drove it twice. Graduation day and the day before we shipped it off.
But yes for the most part my dad was the only person to drive the car.
You still have the radio, crazy. I don't even think it'd fit in my dash.
What did you put in it instead? Thanks for the offer Rick. I appreciate it, but I'm going to update my stereo as well so I wouldn't even have use for it.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 12:13PM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

So let me get this straight..... This so called "babied torino" had the snot kicked out of it before sending it to N.Y..... Also your father said he was the only one who drove it while he owned it. Which probably stands true. I wired him the money a month before I received the car. So you guys were beating the crap out of my car. Too funny. All good. The drivetrain was out of it 6mos later. Great story
you got ripped off rick
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
torino335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 1:37PM
welcome
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 1:40PM
CJ, I'd say it was worth it, haha.
Where you from in so cal?

Thanks torino335, glad to be here
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2018 at 3:57PM
i'm originally from littlerock (next to palmdale)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2018 at 4:02PM
Awesome CJ. That's about an hour plus from me.
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 2:31AM
Welcome David!!
GoldFinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 3:13PM
Hey David!..I see that you are fitting right in!
DARE to be DIFFERENT!!
       73 GTS
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 6:11PM
Thanks guys I'm trying,haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply