The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74 ranchero conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 ranchero conversion
    Posted: 01-April-2018 at 5:48PM
Hey everyone, i hope you are all doing well. 

Iam new. Posted in the welcome mat area. I bought a 1974 ranchero 500 back in 1997 when I was 14 for 900 bucks from the junkyard. Body was really straight and it had a salvaged title, no big deal though. Around 8 years ago I swapped the front clip with a 72 donor ranchero I found. Ive recently been working on a 4 speed swap and am almost done or at least I hope so, haha. some of the things I have left to do are:

Clutch fork-just about done with this
Driveshaft
Output shaft yoke
Speedo gear
Cut a hole in the trans tunnel- plan on doing this Monday April 2nd. 

If anyone has any insight into the speedo gear I would appreciate it. The original one that pulled out of the FMX that was in the car is obvisiouly from an automatic. Do i need to get a different one for a Manual Transmission?

Here are some pictures of what I have been able to do to my car over the many many years I have had it. It is not much but it is something. 

these are pics of the front end conversion. i cant fint the pics i have of cutting an welding the frame bumper brackets up to my car. 
my orginal front end

donor 72

my buddy helping me sand it down to primer it. 

all sanded

getting primered

all finished. my car in the background getting ready to pull the clip off.

mind you guys i did this bout ten+ years ago.  tomorrow ill get some pics of the clip on it. when i get back to working on the trans swap.  couple last pics are of my sister and i and my dads 72GTS that rick has now. 

this picture of my sister and i is the night before it was to be loaded up and sent to N.Y. 

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 2:48AM
Is that your dad in the background wishing me and his car good fortune in N.Y.? Lol

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 02-April-2018 at 2:48AM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 4:13AM
Haha, yeah. Acting a goof back there. I hadn't noticed that for a long time. Haha.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 5:10AM
toploader 4 speed uses an opposite rotation driven gear and an extra long cable to reach to the passenger side of the tail housing
72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 6:41AM
Copy that Rockatansky. I will continue to look into finding a cable an gear. If you possibly know part numbers that'd be awesome. Again thanks for the info.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 2:33PM
4/2/18, today's progress well kinda. Also pics with the 72 clip on.

Hoods open.thats why it looks "not" closed
The clutch fork spring repair kit. Found a fork that will work, but it had a wire. So I ordered the spring repair kit. Tomorrow I'm going to try and have my buddy tac it in place on the fork.

Trans hump was all bent up. After some gentle hammer massaging I got it to fit kinda nice.
Then I held my breathe and cut the floor.
Primered the hump and used these screw type rivet things to secure it. .
Tomorrow everything else. Haha.

More pics to come.thanks for the help and encouragement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 2:49PM
Nice job on the front clip. Looks great!!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 2:52PM
Nice work!  I am in the process of removing my front clip to detail the engine compartment and the frame.  Cool car and thanks for sharing the history.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 4:32PM
Clap looks good! that's a 74... does it have that stupid seatbelt interlock system? my 74 did but i fixed that Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 5:07PM
Yeah it's a 74.
I have no idea what the seatbelt interlock system is, haha.
I know some rides had a seatbelt buzzer thing. But mine never made any noise.
Plus I never really used them when I drove. I figured that if I got in an accident I would rather not be paralysed because the lap belt popped my spinal cord. But again that was when I was 18 and idgaf, haha.
Now I'd rather stay alive.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 5:17PM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

Nice job on the front clip. Looks great!!

Thanks Rick. Can't wait to get it back and running again.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 5:17PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Nice work!  I am in the process of removing my front clip to detail the engine compartment and the frame.  Cool car and thanks for sharing the history.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and check it out.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 7:07PM
Hey fellas I gave a question.
My toploader is a late 60's date code. Question is regarding the speeding cable.
Do I buy a manual cable for a 72-74 torino/ranchero and hope the gear drive fits in the toploader.
Or do i get a manual cable with a gear that fits the toploader n hope it connects to the back of my 74 speedo?
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 12:30AM
Good job on that front end change! Keep us updated on how it's coming along. What color are you going to paint her?

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 4:06AM
Thanks appreciate it.
Paint probably won't be for a long long time.
I have bigger plans for it after I get the trans swap done.
Want to get it running and driving. Then rebuild the engine with boss heads I have and update the valve train.
Then do a disc brake conversation on the rear end. I have a complete 76 linclon disc break rearend and nodular 9in 3rd member and a set of 325 gears. When time comes I'll send that out to get rebuilt then plug that in.
I want to put airride in it as well. The "Bagman" has a shop down the street from my house.
In a sense I want to get it to be a running and driving "mock up" of what I want the final thing to be.
Thhheeennnn when all that happens, I'll do a BB upgrade(boss 429) and BB toploader upgrade. Once everything is done done I want to paint it this color.

With a set of chrome american torque thrust wheels, bumpers chromed, bed trim either chromed or polished, while keeping the sides clean and smooth. I think it would look nice. But everyone's taste is different.

Long explanation but it's been 20 yrs in the making, so I know what I want, haha. Jus time and money in the way.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 7:27AM
Question guys.
I ordered the manual trans speedo cable, it didn't come with the gear drive. Can I reuse the gear from my stock one? Or do I have to get a manual trans gear as well?
Thanks guys.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 8:34AM
the driven gear needs to be compatible with the transmission, depending upon which side of the tail housing the speedo bullet goes into. the passenger side speedo gears are made for opposite rotation from those that go in on the drivers side. and of course the tooth count will determine speedo accuracy

i think you're gonna have to go back & revisit trimming the hole in the floor, the shifter sits off to the side of the trans,
that's why the hump patch covers the drivers side of the tunnel

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-April-2018 at 8:42AM
72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 2:02PM
Today's semi progress 4/3/18.

Was able to get my clutch fork spring welded this morning. That enabled me to get the tranny bolted up.

Then I connected the shifter and linkage. But had to cut a little more of the tunnel. Was able to secure the hump.

Then I moved to the clutch linkage. I had to shim the trans side pivot because the Lakewood bell housing is a lot thinner then the stock bell. If I didn't shim it the z-bar would have been at a gnarly angle. Definitely didn't want that.
I then had to modify the hardware for the fork pushrod and customize that tiny spring as well as the pushrod. I know it looks extremely tiny but after videoing push upon push upon push of the clutch pedal and analizing it plus the feel of the pedal travel I feel confident enough it will work.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Also I want to say I ran across a thread a while ago about starters. Skimming through it I read manual and automation starters are different. Said something about the nose piece being longer on one or the other. Since I'm going from automatic with stock bell to a manual with safety bell does anyone have a recommendation of starter that would work best. I'm using a 164 tooth flywheel.

I want to say I also read that a stock windsor starter for a manual could work.
Again fellas any help would be appreciated.

More to come.
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 2:45PM
is that the C8AA-B clutch fork.when i did that same bell housing into my  1969 mach it lined up like factory.that fork looks like a 351m truck fork.....

Edited by torinojon - 03-April-2018 at 2:47PM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 2:56PM
I'm not sure what the part number is of the fork. I cleaned it and didn't see anything.

I got it from a place called all Ford, it's a Ford scrap yard. I showed him this picture:
And asked home for anything close to the bottom fork.
The top one is the type I got from McLeod and had to take back because it was too short.

The fork I'm using is what they found. But is not the same part number as the one in the picture.

Edited by Dmarc28 - 03-April-2018 at 2:57PM
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 2:57PM
i bet thats a 351 m truck clutch fork.the truck fork is 1" shorter then the torino 351 fork.thats why you need the spacer and the angle for the rod is off.i got both and it looks like the 351m truck fork.it might work but thats why you have to do what you have to do to make it work....

Edited by torinojon - 03-April-2018 at 3:01PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 3:03PM
I think so too.
I need to find a reasonably priced fork with the part number you shared. They jus seem to be few and far between, plus pricy.
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 3:08PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2018 at 6:07PM
You the man torinojon.

Part is ordered. Thanks for help brother.
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 3:31AM
just so you no that is not me or do i have anything to do with that guy/part.....
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 4:19AM
Ok. I still really appreciate the help. I was only able to find ones that were a few hundred dollars.
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 10:24AM
let me no when you get it in and do a side pic of it.ill tell you for shore what it is.the top looks like its what you needC8AA-B.ill try to do a pic of my lower rod that im doing on my cars.im using a hime-joint on the lower rod so theres no bushing and no metal on metal where it meets the lower z-bar arm..... 

Edited by torinojon - 04-April-2018 at 10:26AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 2:09PM
that heim joint is a damn good idea Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 2:31PM
Todays profress. 4/4/18
Driveshaft/starter day. No pics though sorry.

Have my stock driveshaft with heavy duty u joints and yokes (31 spline I think). Then I have a diveshaft out of a 70's mustang, 28 spline and tiny yoke and u joints.
Took them to my drive shaft guy who, hopingly by Friday, will have a driveshaft for me to put in.
I also got an OEM type starter for a 70's mustang. Bolted it up and was praying to hear the car crank without any horrible grinding noises. Success, the car cranked smoothly. So I put the new spark plugs in and tried again. after a few cranks it started right up. But I quickly shut it off because I don't have my exhaust bolted up. So it was jus popping and spitting outta the manifold.
Also speedo cable came in today n hopefully tomorrow I'll get my left hand drive speedo gear set.
With to the FMX I had a 18t gear. Soooo I'm hoping an 18 tooth will be good for the toploader. If not I'll have a 17,19,20 to try.

T.J. you got it brother. When the fork gets here I'll take a pic of it.
C.J. I was thinking about doing that too when my correct fork gets here and everything lines up how it should be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 2:35PM
Making great progress!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>