The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74 ranchero conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 2:43PM
Originally posted by Dmarc28 Dmarc28 wrote:

Todays profress. 4/4/18
hopefully tomorrow I'll get my left hand drive speedo gear set.

toploader speedo on the left / drivers side?
72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 2:50PM
The manual trans starter from a small block whether a 302/351c/351w will work. The speedo cable for a c6 automatic is the same as the 72-73 4spd Torino. The choice of speedo gears (both drive and driven) are different for the axle ratio you plan on using. I'm assuming you have a passenger side cable entry on your Trans, I believe there was a few drivers side cable manual trans that ford had...In what models I don't recall. I wouldn't have welded the spring steel clip that retains the arm to the bell housing but that's just my opinion.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 5:44PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Originally posted by Dmarc28 Dmarc28 wrote:

Todays profress. 4/4/18
hopefully tomorrow I'll get my left hand drive speedo gear set.

toploader speedo on the left / drivers side?

No my speedo input is on the passenger side. I spent a few houses last night looking the gears up. While making sure I got the correct "drive".
I figured left hand drive was having the input on the driver side but that was not the case with all of the things I found.
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 6:05PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

The manual trans starter from a small block whether a 302/351c/351w will work. The speedo cable for a c6 automatic is the same as the 72-73 4spd Torino. The choice of speedo gears (both drive and driven) are different for the axle ratio you plan on using. I'm assuming you have a passenger side cable entry on your Trans, I believe there was a few drivers side cable manual trans that ford had...In what models I don't recall. I wouldn't have welded the spring steel clip that retains the arm to the bell housing but that's just my opinion.

QUOTE]

I think I had found a write up either here or on some vintage mustang forum in which they provided me with the same starter info. So talked to my parts guy and stressed that I needed a starter for a manual. Got one and it worked like a charm.

Yeah my speedo input is on the passenger side. The new cable I received is for a manual transmission. The gear set I ordered should be here Friday.

....go with me on this, as far as choosing a speedo cable gear....

I'm not changing anything except the transmission. My toploader has the black 7t drive gear. Now if my stock fmx has/had the same drive gear with an 18t driven gear, would I be able to use a 18t left hand drive gear in my toploader?

Outta curiosity why wouldn't you have welded the clip to the fork?

Edited by Dmarc28 - 04-April-2018 at 6:07PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 6:15PM
i believe the passenger side speedo is an opposite rotation gear??? but if you count the gear teeth on the original trans and your 4 sp if they are the same you should be able to use the same tooth count for the new gear...assuming the speedo was reading correct before? but may be a good place to start...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 6:31PM
Aight CJ, I'm going to check it out. Then make sure I can use to the same number of teeth with the correct passenger side toploader speedo gear.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 7:25PM
yeah when i swapped from an FMX to an AOD  one had a 8T gear machined into the output shaft the other had a 7T to get the ratio correct i needed a 14T driven gear which they don't make!!! so i ended up going with a ratio adapter and a new custom cable Confused but it worked Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2018 at 7:38PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

yeah when i swapped from an FMX to an AOD  one had a 8T gear machined into the output shaft the other had a 7T to get the ratio correct i needed a 14T driven gear which they don't make!!! so i ended up going with a ratio adapter and a new custom cable Confused but it worked Wink

Dang, lotta work?

After doing this swap I'm so amazed at how much stuff I didn't have and needed to get. You don't know what you don't know. Know what I mean?

Being an adolescent when my pops did it I always thought it was going to be get pedals, tranny, linkage and put it in. I think that's because he had a direct swap. He did it in a weekend.
I been at it for a month it so haha, obviously soooooo not the case for me.
But I definitely have a lot more respect for people who are able and capable to do it on their own.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 6:50AM
driven gear being the same will depend upon if the output shaft tooth count for each trans is the same, i know in C6's there are 3 different output shaft tooth counts and 1 of them is impossible to correct to car use because there's no driven gear made with that many teeth

not 100% sure but IIRC there's at least 2 output shaft tooth counts for FMX
72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 6:37PM
Thanks Rockatansky. My output shaft on the FMX was 31 spline I think. But the toploader is a 28 spline.

Now for the update and todays progress 4/5/18.

With drive shaft at the shop I decided to work on getting the interior back together.
N I do not know why to the pics are upside down.

I had to put the hump over the carpet because there was not enough carpet for it to go over the hump.
That carpet is hella old too. Got it for my 17th birthday, haha.

I then got a call from the driveshaft shop. The custom shaft was ready.so I took my happy ass down there and picked it up.
Got home and put the dash cluster in so I could make sure to reroute the speedo cable.
Then while I was doing that UPS guy came with a delivery.

My speedo gears!😊.

So with that I hooked up the driveshaft, rerouted the cable, picked the 19tooth gear and put it in. Topped off the gear oil in the trans. Hooked up the exhaust and started her up.

Ran amazingly, went through some shifts and then decided to drop it down and take it for a test drive.

So that's what I did.
Took it off the stands and drive it to the gas station, my gas level isn't reading, n then cruised it around the block. Then I had my sis get in use some speedometer app to see if my reading is accurate. It was within 2/3 mph. It's coo, I drive slow anyways.

So for now I am finished. Tomorrow is clean day, haha.
Thanks for all your guys insight and help.
Next big thing I'm going to tackle is a disk break conversation. But that won't be for a while.

Edited by Dmarc28 - 05-April-2018 at 6:40PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 7:24PM
Clap awesome!
if you're within 2 or 3 MPH that's good, but at what speed did you check it at?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 7:41PM
At 40, or at least what my speedometer said was 40.

N my sis said it was 43.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 3:03AM
thats not bad then
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 4:52AM
That's what I was thinking.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 7:38AM
my old trans builder bud told me each driven gear tooth is 3 mph, i've never checked that myself ... but if you happen to stumble upon a driven gear with 1 less tooth than what you have snag it & give it a try, or larger diameter rear tires will bump your mph to read higher

FWIW from the factory it's normal for the speedo to read slightly lower than actual mph

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-April-2018 at 7:38AM
72 GT Ute

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 11:35AM
Thanks for the insight fellas.

I jus lost mph n od while driving to my pops house. So I will be checking on that.

Heres a pic of my dad's and my rancheros.

Pops is helping me with my sticky parking break.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 1:22PM
Wow. Dad's car is looking sharp. Does he still have the other green 72 formal?
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 1:24PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 1:38PM
It is Rick, but the old man doesn't drive it much. Ive been trying to get him to do Sunday morning cruises but he said he doesn't "do mornings", haha.

No he doesn't. I don't remember when he sold that one. But we talked about that today. He said it went to someone out in Germany and then that guy sold it. I loved that one and how he built it. Color, interior, wheels/tires exhaust, I thought it was awesome.

Also let the old man drive mine today. He said it brought back memories of driving "the yellow one".
Then he said he was excited get a chance to visit with you when he's out there in June or July or whenever he's out there.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 2:26PM
Those are some nice rides.  Great shot of the father son Rancheros.  Rick your care looked so different back in the day!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 1:33PM
Looks like it was in need of some new springs in the front
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 11:00AM
Update, 4/8/18.

So ranchero is running great. Thursday night test drive went well. Speedo, odoneter, light, shifts, steering, everything that needed to work worked.

Friday morning got up to drive to my pops house to let him check my handy work. There was a like pool of gear oil dripping out of the rear tail housing.

Then driving to catch the freeway, the speedo needle dropped. So I lost the speedo and odometer. Regardless I was able to get to my dad's for him to evaluate my 5 weeks of work. Happy to say he said it felt good to drive and took him back to when he had Rick's car.

Saturday got up and jacked the car up to check seal and speedo gears.
I think the seal might need to be replaced. I had the trans for about 2 years freshly rebuilt when I bought it. Then it just sat. So I'm thinking the rubber might have dried out. Im planning on changing it and the bushing.
Any thoughts?

Next was the speedo.the needle seemed to be jumping around hard when i was driving. Then jus stopped
I thought that might have been due to the fact the cable was twisted.
When I took the gear out it looked fine. But when I looked on the inside it was another story.
The cable insert striped out the inside if the gear.
It's hard to see but it's dust.

This is an 18t gear that I put in..
I then tried to untwist the cable so if had more of a direct path to the firewall and ddash.

Speedometer and odometer seemed to work fine all day yesterday. There was a little needle jump but nothing bad.

Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2018 at 6:41PM
Update: 4/16/18.

Had been having some fuel problems lately. Shifting gears from 2nd into 3rd and hitting the gas the car would die like the car was starved for gas. I'd coast throw it in gear n pop the clutch she'd start back up n I'd drive less then a mile and it'd happen again.

I know there was gas in it I'd jus out 8 gallons in. So wtf was going on.

Last week I said fug it and dropped the tank. Pulled out the sending unit, original, which was hella rusted with no float!?!?

So I deduced that the float had disintegrated an along with the pick up tube being dang near rusted close it had to have been the float cloging the gas line.

Saturday rebuilt the carb.

Today I received the new sending unit also bought a solid float which I fugging misplaced. Luckily the new sending unit came with a float although it is brass like the original. Dumped out the gas that was in the tank and found the reminants of my float and screen filter thing.
Disconnected the line from the pump blew it out, reconnected. Installed the sending unit, placed the fill tube,then threw up the tank.

I have yet to add gass but I'm hoping that was my problem.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2018 at 7:07PM
Shocked   wow
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:07PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Shocked   wow

I know right. All my buddies, older cats, had never heard of it dissolving.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:26PM
Older cats.....i love it. Is that a so.cal. thing? Sounds like your dad. I remember him sending me a few messages like that.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:58PM
idk, i'm from socal but i often use the term "dude"LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 5:07PM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

Older cats.....i love it. Is that a so.cal. thing? Sounds like your dad. I remember him sending me a few messages like that.

Haha. Yeah might be a "smooth" So cal thing,like huggy bear, ya dig?....haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12