The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C question
    Posted: 05-April-2018 at 10:22AM
BTW the sticky on ac questions says "topic closed". Never saw that before . Anyway it's been awhile since I worked on ac. So I have a totally stock system. I'm going to hook up the vacuum pump to the low side? Does it matter? How long should the pump be connected? If it's pulling negative numbers than I don't have a leak? How many 12oz cans of r12 should I need. I think I have 8. Thanks-Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 11:13AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

BTW the sticky on ac questions says "topic closed". Never saw that before . Anyway it's been awhile since I worked on ac. So I have a totally stock system. I'm going to hook up the vacuum pump to the low side? Does it matter? How long should the pump be connected? If it's pulling negative numbers than I don't have a leak? How many 12oz cans of r12 should I need. I think I have 8. Thanks-Rick-

Yes, vacuum pump to the low side. Pull it down to 30 inches, and let it sit 10 minutes. If the needs drops at all, there's a leak. 

The system holds 4lbs of R12. 

Now... what do you know about your system? Has it been off the car? Has it been open to atmosphere? Or has it been intact on the car the whole time? Does your compressor have oil in it?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 11:30AM
Original to the car never opened. New compressor with proper r12 oil,new condenser, new expansion valve, new receiver/dryer and new hoses. All n.o.s. parts. No idea about the evap or that other large valve in the engine compartment (I can't think of the name). I'm a gambling man. If no leaks what are my chances?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 1:18PM
Do yourself a BIG favor and have the POA/STV checked, it is very easy to do with just an adapter(I used a PCV fitting), a air compressor and a/c gauge set. Here are the instructions, hope it helps:
My original, 40+ year old POA/STV checked out good, a $200 NOS never used valve I was wanting to install tested bad, glad I checked before dispensing the R12. Good luck.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 3:11AM
Thanks guys!! That's a big help. I'll use your advice and report back after it stops snowing. Yes SNOW. Unbelievable
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 10:19AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

BTW the sticky on ac questions says "topic closed". Never saw that before .

I think if threads become inactive after a certain length of time they automatically lock. I am not sure what that time is and I am assuming this is a setting Scott put in place. I have noticed there are lots of old threads that got locked out when I have done searches.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply