The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Gran Torino turn signal problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Gran Torino turn signal problem
    Posted: 16-April-2018 at 3:12PM
I had a similar issue with an old wagon. Try removing one bulb at a time to see where the problem is. Then you will have an easier time finding the source of the problem.
I found a short between the wheel well and body in the passenger side rear.
   It has been a long time since I opened the trunk on my old car and forget how the harness was run.
19gransport72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 1:19AM
Thanks for the info B.B., if and when I find the problem. 
Project72
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 1:47PM
If you just put the brake light switch in and this started, unplug the brake light switch and see if that fixes the directional issue. also check the emergency light flasher. it is a separate one from the directional flasher. Beyond that, headlight switch, directional switch, flasher switch or wiring
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 3:02AM
Shocked i had an auction flip car that did that on one side they had the wrong bulb in a socket it had 1 contact not 2 like 1157 bulb does so it being centered caused it to short across both socket contacts feeding power through the park lights  drove me nuts for about an hour until i found it
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 2:55AM
Thanks for your reply C.J., when the turn signals are on left or right they blink as if the emergency flashers were on, both at the same time. The lights front and rear both work, I don't have brake lites even tho its a new B.L. switch. I had to put in new aftermarket parking lite sockets for the bulbs, could not find original factory type.  
Project72
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 2:52AM
i think he means he tested it where the connector is at the base of the column where it plugs to the wiring harness
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 10:34PM
I think he is saying both sides blink with the switch either left or right?

but then I am confused about the TS switch at the base of the column? I thought the ignition switch was down there and the TS switch was at the top under the steering wheel?

Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 4:34PM
so if you click the turn lever to left and then right it blinks correctly? and are the lights front and rear working fine?
 i'd think it's in the turn sig unit, but if the old one did it too... idk strange! how are the brake lights???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2018 at 10:38AM
Hello all, I'm having a problem with my turn signal which is new, the type that plugs in at the base of the steering column, when actuating right or left both sides blink, when the emergency flasher is turned on a fuse blows thats located near the relay thats mounted on the passenger side wheel well. I know there is a short some where but just can't locate it, have any of you had similar problem?        Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance. Also It did the same thing with the old T.S. 
Project72
 Post Reply Post Reply