The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Colorado-New member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Colorado-New member
    Posted: 10-April-2018 at 1:56PM
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Got caught up reading a thread and decided to join. I've got a 72 Gran Torino Sport that was my first car. Bought in 1987 and have had it ever since. I've never done a restoration on it, just as much as I could at the time. It's been painted (25 years ago) Had the engine rebuilt about 12 years ago and other odds and ends along the way. Life happens and other things become a priority. I eventually want to tear it apart and do it right, but the kids come first and I have a few more years until they are off to college. For now I'll just lurk and read up on everyone else's builds and learn all I can from the community. Thanks.
72 GTS 4 speed
Q-code 408 stroker
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2018 at 6:00PM
Welcome Jim!! You are fortunate enough to still have the car. I wrecked mine back in the day. We'd love to see some pics. -Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2018 at 6:35PM
Welcome aboard!

Rick and I both wrecked our GTS's back in the day....but we simply got another one! But I wish I had my original one like you have.

Lot's of good stuff here to enjoy before you launch the kids! Then we all want pics & status of your GTS projects!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2018 at 6:47PM
welcome! at least you kept the car Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 12:38AM
Welcome to the site! Biggest regret I've had was selling my 73 Sportsroof I had when I was (sigh) LOTS younger. Glad you kept it, and like Rick mentioned, send us some pictures of how she currently sits. 
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 12:51AM
Welcome!! Glad you were able to hold on to the car & enjoy it!
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 2:16AM
welcome aboard
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 2:33AM
Welcome aboard! BeerBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 2:36AM
WELCOME
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 4:21AM
welcome
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 8:52AM
Welcome to the site.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Atomican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 11:02AM
Here's a recent picture sitting in my shop.

72 GTS 4 speed
Q-code 408 stroker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 12:12PM
Looks like you're done!!! Love that look
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 12:17PM
Welcome!  You're Torino looks awesome and very cool it was you're first car that you still own today.  While lurkers are always welcome, feel free to jump into conversations and ask questions. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Atomican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 1:10PM
Thanks for the compliments guys...the pictures make it look a little nicer than it really is. Like I said, paint is 25 years old and has the usual dents and dings here and there. It's nice enough to look like a nice car, but not so nice that you have to worry about the paint every time you take it out. 

I'd like to rebuild the suspension and I have all new bushings for the front end, and new shocks for all four corners but haven't found the time to work on it. Eventually when I really get serious, I'd like to put bigger brakes all the way around, a gear vendors overdrive, more sound deadening, etc.. My 2013 SHO Taurus weighs more but stops better, goes around corners better, is quieter, and gets better fuel economy. I'd like to at least close the gap a little even if we are talking about a car 40 years newer. I guess the final goal is to make the car better than it was new and run and drive closer to a modern performance sedan. 

The only big brake kit I've found is from Baer Brakes, and they run between $1800-2500.00 depending upon which size rotors you want and what style calipers. I'm not made of money so I'd like to come up with a similar setup that used OEM rotors and calipers from a newer performance car and design my own caliper mounting bracket and hub assembly. Maybe someone here has already done this, or knows a better way?

Edited by Atomican - 11-April-2018 at 1:12PM
72 GTS 4 speed
Q-code 408 stroker
Atomican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 1:13PM
Oh yeah, the bigger brakes will require bigger wheels, which is a good thing. I'd like to get rid of the 80's era wheels too!

72 GTS 4 speed
Q-code 408 stroker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2018 at 1:38PM
Start gathering up the parts. At least you have the car. I'm sure when you look at it it makes you smile. I installed the gear vendors. Probably my favorite upgrade
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2018 at 12:01PM
1 option if you want to go OEM... i did this on my car... mid 70's lincoln mark 4 or 5 mostly bolt on a couple minor mods needed.

there's my thread: follow along on the next few pages  and there's some links posted that will explain all that's needed
 http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024_page95.html

Edited by californiajohnny - 12-April-2018 at 12:08PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Atomican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2018 at 3:35AM
Thanks, and I'll check out the link.
72 GTS 4 speed
Q-code 408 stroker
 Post Reply Post Reply