The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flex fan to clutch conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flex fan to clutch conversion
    Posted: 27-April-2018 at 4:27PM
Hey where was the discussion on this? I can’t seem to find it again.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2018 at 7:27AM
Yeah, I did one on my car.  Here is the thread.  The part numbers I used would apply to a 351C, 351M, or 400 powered Torino.  I have pics and part numbers in the thread.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2018 at 7:24AM
Is there a torque limiting clutch that crosses over?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2018 at 1:55PM

Do you mean a torque limit for the fan clutch?  Not that I am aware of.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2018 at 7:47AM
A centrifugal fan clutch rather then a thermostatic clutch.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 3:35AM
I am not sure on the mechanical clutches. Why not use a thermostatically controlled clutch? They use less power.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 5:35AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I am not sure on the mechanical clutches. Why not use a thermostatically controlled clutch? They use less power.

x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2018 at 6:32AM
Just wondering.
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2018 at 7:57AM
Vince, I just read your post, great info!

I had no idea these cars ever came with a 4 blade fan, I've never seen one in person! 

My car has the 6 or 7 blade fan, but I drive my car a LOT and on the highway back and forth to work most of the time (75mph). 

I might be interested in the clutch setup, if it will pick me up a few more mpg. Did you see any mpg improvement?

I can't use the stock fan, right? 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2018 at 3:21AM
Thanks for the feedback Sal. The four blade fans only came on cars without A/C. Other cars got a flex fan. There was no clutch fan offered from the factory.

I don't know if it made any real difference in the MPG as I don't track it on this car. I definitely noticed less fan noise at high RPM and the engine seemed somewhat more willing to rev. I do almost all highway with my car too which is part of the reason I wanted to get rid of the direct drive fan. Plus I am sure in traffic it will pull much more air.

You can't use your stock fan as it won't bolt to a clutch. Overall it's worthwhile upgrade and the best mechanical fan setup available. The only better setup would be a electric fan but it's quite a bit more work and money and you lose the stock appearance.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2018 at 3:28AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Sal. The four blade fans only came on cars without A/C. Other cars got a flex fan. There was no clutch fan offered from the factory.

I don't know if it made any real difference in the MPG as I don't track it on this car. I definitely noticed less fan noise at high RPM and the engine seemed somewhat more willing to rev. I do almost all highway with my car too which is part of the reason I wanted to get rid of the direct drive fan. Plus I am sure in traffic it will pull much more air.

You can't use your stock fan as it won't bolt to a clutch. Overall it's worthwhile upgrade and the best mechanical fan setup available. The only better setup would be a electric fan but it's quite a bit more work and money and you lose the stock appearance.

You can actually have an electric fan with a stock appearance. I used to build them back when I was making Lightning parts. I would mount an 18" electric fan in the opening of a stock shroud, and it the only way you'd notice is if you looked behind the shroud at the engine. 

My concern with the clutch fan, is airflow. I already have the upgraded stock fan. My car doesn't overheat, however in heavy traffic here in FL on hot days, the temp does creep up a bit past where it normally runs. With the clutch setup, that would give me 80% lockup, with pretty much the same size fan. So wouldn't that give me LESS airflow at idle?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2018 at 4:07AM
The issue is a flex fan and clutch fan are not the same in terms of airflow. So I don't know what kind of air it moves in comparison to a flex fan.

In any case it seems most OEM setups for maximum cooling had clutch fans not flex fans.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2018 at 4:16PM
I just want the factory knife thrower flex fan gone. I had one of those POS things come apart once. Tears the crap out of fan shrouds radiators and if you are super lucky it’ll even f up your hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply