The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OEM AC R12 system restore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEM AC R12 system restore
    Posted: 09-May-2018 at 12:02PM
Guys,

Getting very near to sending my car off to the body shop and while she's gone, I want to get all the original OEM AC components ready so prior to final sheetmetal installation, I can go in and install all the AC underhood components so things will be in order for system R12 charging once it's out of paint.

My original AC system was was fully charged (R12) prior to being pulled and shipped to me and I recently purchased a second condensor, accumulator hose assembly, compressor hose assembly and liquid tube from a charged R12 system that was being upgraded and converted to R134.

My question is which parts can be flushed, which parts can be reused and which parts need to be replaced....

Condenser & Evaporator: pressure check and FLUSH
Suction Throttling Valve: pressure check and FLUSH
Liquid Line: check for abrasions and FLUSH
Compressor to Receiver/Drier (@ condenser) Hose: check for abrasions and FLUSH
Expansion Valve: REPLACE
Receiver/Drier: REPLACE
Accumulator: REBUILD AND REPLACE BOTH HOSES
Compressor: REBUILD & REPLACE CLUTCH
NEW HBNR O-rings

So am I on track or out in left field?

As always my thanks!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2018 at 12:23PM
All looks good!
Joe, when I re-did my system I removed and flushed the evaporator and condenser using lacquer thinner and an old 12v electric fuel pump. The fuel pump circulated the lacquer thinner for about 20 minutes on each part, then turned pump around and flushed parts backwards. Then flushed with a recommended flush fluid to rid the internals of the LT(the lacquer thinner quickly gets rid of years of accumulated "nastiness").This really cleaned the internals to a "squeaky" clean. Make sure you have STV tested, new expansion valves)from what I have been told) are based on 134a performance but that is a good thing since it will flow a bit more Freon for the R12 system. Make sure you use #525 mineral oil on all O-rings prior to assembly, having/using new hoses(suction and pressure) is best and saves headaches. Good luck on the A/C work, NOTHING like using R12 in an R12 designed system.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 8:07AM
WOO HOO.... we were scrounging around in the dealership equipment room and unearthed the old R12 charging station... a Robinair 10854. Got REALLY excited when I saw an R12 canister setting on the cart.... dang, EMPTY! Now to locate a users manual.

Thinking now I may try to "assemble" the system on the floor and pull a vacuum on it to check for leaks and then pressurize it to check things on the positive side to verify things before installing them on the car. Would that be a valid pre-assembly test?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply