The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

77 wagon frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 wagon frame
    Posted: 19-May-2018 at 11:29AM
i was wondering if any one has put a 1972 ranchero frame under a 1977 wagon body.are the body mounts the same.i thought theres a difference in the body mounts location.i got a chance to get a rust free body and frame (not much more) to do the swap.let me no what you think...thanks   
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2018 at 7:26PM
are the wheel bases the same? 72 cars had an extra body mount near the top of the rear axle arch that was deleted on the later cars, and the 72 ranchero frames had a pair of rubber bushings inboard on the axle arch crossmember but they only sit against the bed floor for support not bolted! just basically pads so that may not matter? that's about as much as i can tell you, unfortunately i scrapped the 72 ranch frame i had so i can't take any measurements off of it for you Cry 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2018 at 9:10PM
What kind of '77 wagon?  It would have to be either a 77 LTD II or Cougar, both of which are not that easy to find.

Either way, when I had picked up a receiver hitch from a 77-79 Ranchero, I discovered that the back end of the frame of the Ranchero was different than my 76 Montego wagon, and the hitch would not work on my wagon.  I'm assuming all 72 - 79 Rancheros are the same.  And all 72 - 77 wagons are the same.  Although maybe there are some slight differences with the 72 like John mentioned.  At the rear of the vehicle, one of the frames is parallel to the ground.  While, on the other vehicle, the frame angles up.  I can't remember which was which (wagon vs Ranchero).  I can look at my Montego wagon tomorrow to confirm.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 2:48PM
Frames behind the rear axle are different. Ranchero and wagon mount gas tanks in different locations. Wagon had the cargo well or rear seat well and tank on the side. ranchero had a underbody tank. Wagon got a 5 MPH rear bumper with energy absorbers, but Ranchero was a truck and kept 72-73 type bumper.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 3:41PM
the factory chassis manual should show top & side views of each frame with measurements
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2018 at 3:31PM
Interesting. I have held onto a perfect '74 Ranchero frame in case I needed one for either of my wagons. If they are different, to scrap it goes.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2018 at 10:53AM
The 72-79 ranchero and the 72-76 torino/montego wagon and the 77-LTD II/couger wagon frame are all the same EXCEPT for the front bumper mounting on the 72 and the rear bumper mounting on the wagons after 73.  There are some other small differences but the bodies for any of these cars will bolt right on to any of the frames mentioned. 
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 3:11PM
Thanks for this info. I held onto the Ranchero frame and was going to cut it up this week, but I may hold onto it for the wagons.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply