The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2014 Mustang power seat upgrade????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 Mustang power seat upgrade????
    Posted: 24-May-2018 at 7:07AM
Any reason I should NOT attempt to install a pair of 2014 front power bucket seats in my '72 GTS?

I'm thinking I can build an interface bracket to mount the mustang seat to the torino floor and I'm hoping I will not run into any power problems as I want the power seats to work properly. I've never done this before so I'm hoping for your critical input please.................

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 7:11AM
Why not? They have a similar look to the factory seats and should be a lot more comfortable. It'll just take a little fabrication.
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 9:49AM
If the seat controls are in the side of the seat, it should be pretty simple.  If they're like the Mark VI seat where the controls are on the door, wellll....not so much.  But if you attempt it, post pictures! Good luck!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 9:49AM
Excuse me, Mark VII.LOL
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 10:58AM
You mean like this?? WinkBig smile

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 4:17PM
Sal, those look awesome!
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 4:26PM
Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

Sal, those look awesome!

Thanks! I love the vintage look with 6 way power and they are sooooo comfortable!
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 4:53PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Any reason I should NOT attempt to install a pair of 2014 front power bucket seats in my '72 GTS?

I'm thinking I can build an interface bracket to mount the mustang seat to the torino floor and I'm hoping I will not run into any power problems as I want the power seats to work properly. I've never done this before so I'm hoping for your critical input please.................

i just don't think those brown seats will work, you better send them to me Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2018 at 6:11AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Sal, those look awesome!

Thanks! I love the vintage look with 6 way power and they are sooooo comfortable!

Sal, yes, those seats do look awesome and they seem to fit very well! What did you use for brackets?

Where did you find/pull power from, directly from the fuse panel? Did you have to upgrade the ALT.?

Looks like you are using the late model seat belt anchor, correct?

Thanks for posting that pic!

I pulled the trigger on a set of seats....been looking for six months....and no CJ, you CAN'T HAVE THEM!LOL

Edited by fordismyboss - 26-May-2018 at 7:31AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2018 at 10:56AM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Sal, those look awesome!

Sal, yes, those seats do look awesome and they seem to fit very well! What did you use for brackets?

Where did you find/pull power from, directly from the fuse panel? Did you have to upgrade the ALT.?

Looks like you are using the late model seat belt anchor, correct?

Thanks for posting that pic!

I pulled the trigger on a set of seats....been locking for six months....and no CJ, you CAN'T HAVE THEM!LOL

I just made the floor brackets. I would not suggest doing it the way I did, lol. 

My suggestion is just make some out of flat stock in a way that will allow the new seats to bolt in. The rear mounting bolts are at an angle into the floor, so you'll need to make some angled tabs on the rear mount. 

I added power windows at the same time as the seats. For for power, I added a junction box under the dash that has two relays and 4 fuses, and then wired the windows and seats into that. I added a center console at the same time, so the power wires run from the dash under the center console and then out to the seats. It never hurts to have a higher amp alternator, however I don't think it's needed just to have power seats. You're only drawing power when you adjust them.

I have not done anything with the seat belts yet. The anchors are part of the seat assemblies. I could probably reshape the latches on the stock belts to fit the modern anchors. I have haven't had the desire to tackle that yet. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2018 at 12:17PM
Very nice work Sal!  I am sure these seats would be a big improvement over the stock seats and the power adjustment would certainly help with comfort.  They actually work really well with the stock back seat. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 25-May-2018 at 12:18PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2018 at 1:26PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Very nice work Sal!  I am sure these seats would be a big improvement over the stock seats and the power adjustment would certainly help with comfort.  They actually work really well with the stock back seat. 

Thanks, I thought they matched the rear seat quite well. My seats were originally blue, so I recolored the rear to black. I used the regular SEM black first and it was way too shiny. So I reshot the rear with the SEM satin black and it matches much closer. The black Ford front seats have a touch of grey to them, so it's not exact, but in person it's a much closer match. Plus, I plan to do a black carpet at some point, which I think will make them match even better.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply