Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame Paint
    Posted: 12-June-2018 at 2:11PM

I am looking for opinions on chassis paint.  I am stripping the front frame section on my car and I want to repaint it with the best quality paint I can.  So far the frame is pretty well rust free, but there are some areas with very light surface rust (no pitting).  Once I have finished removing the undercoat, have a HVLP spray gun that I borrowed, so I can shoot it in my garage.  I am a complete newbie at using a spray gun, but I am very good with a rattle can.

CalifoniaJohnny suggested SEM's Rust Shield paint, which looks to be great stuff.  Paint right over metal and rust, no primer and doesn't need to be top coated.  It can be sprayed or brushed. It seems to have a good reputation for the most part.  The problem is, I can't seem to get the stuff anywhere!  Even the SEM dealer closest to me says he can't get it (or is unwilling).  I have one more paint supply guy that says he might be able to get it, but only in the gallon size, which is probably way too much.  He will get back to me soon.

The only other option I looked at was Eastwood's paints.  I have used there stuff in the past and it's decent, but I think it's probably overpriced (maybe I am wrong).  I'd probably used Eastwood's Encapsulator paint as a base and then top it with their extreme chassis paint.  It looks like it can only be sprayed.  They claim their extreme chassis paint is super durable and hard.  I am really not sure if it would be at all better than the SEM stuff I mentioned above, but it does seem more expensive.

I was also planning on using whatever chassis paint I pick to paint some of the engine brackets, and other small underhood parts, unless that's not a good idea?

Anyone have any opinions or input?  Any other good options out there for a decent high quality chassis paint that can stand up to some road use?

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 3:21PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 3:26PM
Thanks Rock, except it won't ship to my location.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 3:32PM
the great almighty amazon won't ship to NA

that's a hoot / er ..  um ... just about what i expected

have it shipped to meet your motor
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 4:03PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 8:03AM
Lots of stuff on Amazon won't ship up here.  Depends on the vendor in a lot of cases, and sometimes with paint products, there is environmental issues.  I would like the paint before I get my engine if possible, which is why I just wanted to get it locally.

John, how much do you think I will need?  Will a quart be enough?  Do you think this stuff will be okay for the engine brackets and some other small bits under the hood?

I forgot to check eBay, but it looks like they will ship up here.  I just got to watch the extra fees they charge on that global shipping, sometimes it makes it crazy expensive.

The body supplier got back to me and he says his SEM supplier won't sell it up here due to no longer meeting the environmental standards.  Maybe that's why Amazon won't ship it up here.   The Eastwood stuff I can get from a Canadian supplier, so there is no hassle when I have ordered in the past. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 13-June-2018 at 8:04AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 12:05PM
you have tractor supplies up there? just get the black implement paint, I use gloss as it dulls out fast enough to look like the factory shade.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 1:20PM
These next three sellers are all located in Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/SEM-28104-2-8-Rust-Shield/dp/B00EDE6YAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1528935581&sr=1-1&keywords=SEM+28104+2.8+VOC+Rust+Shield

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vht-high-temperature-roll-bar-and-chassis-paint-312-g-0473707p.html

Edited by dave302 - 13-June-2018 at 1:47PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 1:34PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 6:55PM
vince, if you're just doing the underhood area of the frame a qt should do it... yes you can use it on brackets and stuff too

i did my whole frame with a gallon and had a little left over
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 3:16AM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-anti-rust-automotive-paint-0477970p.html#spc

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tremclad-rust-paint-semi-gloss-0489210p.html

https://www.amazon.ca/GLOSS-BLACK-CHASSIS-SAVER-MPC-UCP99-04/dp/B00EP8BYNK/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1528986298&sr=1-2&keywords=chassis+paint++black

Edited by dave302 - 14-June-2018 at 3:30AM
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 7:45AM
Vince / this place will ship to you x-tra 70.00 to cross-border , i called and spoke with MANNY 
California Johnny is right best stuff to use hardens and almost impossible to scratch once cured,

Edited by andrewok1 - 14-June-2018 at 7:47AM
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 11:42AM
Thanks guys for all the help, much appreciated! I am going to get the Rust Shield ordered from the States. I found a company that doesn't charge ridiculous shipping.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 14-June-2018 at 11:52AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 12:04PM
lots of pictures 
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 3:32PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply