The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3G alternator/choke circuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3G alternator/choke circuit
    Posted: 27-June-2018 at 11:12AM
OK guys, I think I have my choke circuit figured out based upon reading back thru several related threads. AQUARTLOW (Todd) please check out this sketch I made and see if this is what you were describing.......

The existing light green/red stripe wire # 904 is the alternator "energizer" wire to start the 3G charging process as well as triggering the relay to send 12V+ to my Holley electric choke via the existing white/black stripe wire #4. Going to feed the 12V+ to the relay using a #10 red wire because I plan on mounting a 6 relay circuit box to the area where the voltage regulator used to reside so I'll have available "hot on run" relays should the need arise.

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 10:27PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

OK guys, I think I have my choke circuit figured out based upon reading back thru several related threads. AQUARTLOW (Todd) please check out this sketch I made and see if this is what you were describing.......

The existing light green/red stripe wire # 904 is the alternator "energizer" wire to start the 3G charging process as well as triggering the relay to send 12V+ to my Holley electric choke via the existing white/black stripe wire #4. Going to feed the 12V+ to the relay using a #10 red wire because I plan on mounting a 6 relay circuit box to the area where the voltage regulator used to reside so I'll have available "hot on run" relays should the need arise.

THANKS
Joe,
   Yes, that is how I wired my choke(through a relay). I would recommend fusing the output from the relay to the choke with a 7.5 to 10 amp fuse just in case the choke wire comes off the choke's input terminal and touches the engine and/or ground. Good idea on the future wiring option with the use of the circuit panel.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 10:39PM
Thanks Todd!

The relay panel also has provisions for 6 ATO/ATC fuses, so I should be able to jumper from the relay terminal to the fuse leg then on out to the choke... good idea about the choke fuse!

I'll post a few pics of the finished product...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 3:53AM
I will be converting to a 1 wire alternator and adding a choke. Could you
Post some pics of your finished work?
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 6:17AM
Mine is never finished, so that leaves me out LOL.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 7:44AM
Originally posted by bdaugette bdaugette wrote:

I will be converting to a 1 wire alternator and adding a choke. Could you
Post some pics of your finished work?

Bill,

I've had a simple home project blow up into a full scale renovation, so I've not done much on the Torino choke circuit for a while. I'll post a few pics as I get each part of the circuit completed......

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 10:12AM
Thanks
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
 Post Reply Post Reply