The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You Are Not Crazy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You Are Not Crazy
    Posted: 03-July-2018 at 10:13PM
Hello Forum,

After years of wanting, wishing and dreaming - opportunity knocks. Would always look online looking for that perfect 1972 Montego GT for sale that maybe didn't need a lot of work. The recent add in Hemmings of the low mile, original owner GT for sale in New York popped up and the gears were turning. With the full support of my wife I contacted the owner and flew up to New York from Houston last weekend to see it in person. The car was every bit as stated in the ad, was even my favorite color - Dark Blue Metallic. 351 CJ, C6, bucket seats, competition suspension...only "negative" was no air conditioner. Not good in Houston, oh well...too good to pass up so I bought it. Have arranged to get it shipped, so now we wait. Wanted to express my gratitude to the original owner, she was a gracious host along with her neighbor and close friend who gave me the tour of the GT along with a fun test drive. Can't wait to get her on the road on nice (cooler) days
Billy
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 12:47AM
Congrats on the purchase...But how does this make me not crazy? LOL
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 2:43AM
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like a great car. Where was it in NY? Love to see some pics. -Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 3:25AM
Joke shared with my wife..."honey, call me crazy but I want to buy a 46 year old car!"
Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 3:29AM
Thanks Rick - it was located in Voorheesville just outside of Albany. As soon as I get permissions from the moderators I will post some pictures.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 4:39AM
no, you're not crazy, i own several 40 year old cars Wink i prefer them to any of this new plastic junk on the roads todayBig smile yes pics!!! and welcome!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 10:53AM
 WELCOME ,sounds like a good buy, good luck with it post lots of pictures/ ANDY
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 12:37AM
We've all got this strange addiction to 40+ year olds! Welcome and hope to see what she looks like when you get pics up.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 1:43AM
Welcome!  And congrats!  Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 10:03AM

Welcome to the forum Billy!  That sounds like a great car you got there.  The '72 Montego GT is one of my all time favourite Mercs.  We have a member here, Iangj who's really knowledgeable about the Montegos specifically.  He used to run a registry.

Please post some pics, we'd love to see it.

You are all good to upload photos now. Here's how to post photos if you need some help:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 05-July-2018 at 1:06PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 2:13AM
Thanks Vince - it is my favorite as well. I drove a 4 door in high school back in the early 80's. It was a hunk of junk, but it got me where I needed to go - RAPIDLY! There were two GT's in my hometown back
then and I kept tabs on one. It was for sale in the late 80's but I wasn't in any position to buy. I tend to like the forgotten and uncommon cars of that era. I will post some photos - thanks! Looks like I am in good company here.

Billy
 Post Reply Post Reply