The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WIX Racing Oil Filter Experiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WIX Racing Oil Filter Experiment
    Posted: 20-July-2018 at 4:11AM
Not sure if this will be helpful, but I remember a 1999 article in Car Craft magazine where they changed the thermostat on a 429 in a '69 Cougar from a 190 to 165 and without changing anything else this gained 18.8 hp and 29 lb ft torque. I do know when I changed from a mechanical clutch fan to dual electric fans allows my mild 472 to spool up faster, not sure about the hp/tq gains but could tell a difference and also gained a little in the mpg department.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 1:04PM
If I had a few more dollars to spend I'd invest in one of these CM oil filters from Canton.

Check out the Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIzi11WP60

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 19-July-2018 at 1:08PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 1:01PM

I am curious on the results too.  I'd be pretty cool if it does drop your ET just from a filter!

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 4:18PM
I forgot to mention WIX Racing Oil filters are not for street use, so I'll be switching back to my oversized filter after the race.

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 16-July-2018 at 4:38PM
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 3:28PM
I'm curious to know. That's all we ran in the late 80s. Didn't know they were still around
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 3:10PM
Over the years I've done just about everything possible to my 472 BBF to free up HP for the 1/4 mile.
WIX makes a race filter they claim will do just that, especially if your using a high volume oil pump.
My engine has the stock CJ pump that takes a lot to turn especially when the oil is cold.          
I'll be drag racing the 1st weekend of August and I plan to change only my oil filter to see if it truly does free up enough HP to make a difference. I'll be using Lucas 10W30, same as last year.
Last year I recorded my best 1/4 mile time 11.53 so I'll post my results after this years race.

WIX Racing Filter Part #51515R         

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 16-July-2018 at 4:20PM
 Post Reply Post Reply