The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: 19-July-2018 at 3:45AM
Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum, but joined because my wife and I recently picked up a 1974 Gran Torino Elite as a project car.

The car was basically a barn find, having sat in one for the last 20 years. We bought it from some local people who were selling items from their mother's estate after she passed away.

Near as we can figure it has 113k-ish miles on and is mostly intact. It is not in terrible shape, with most parts present and functional. It runs fairly well. We have been working on getting it running better, new tires, shocks, etc. I will be working on other basic maintenance items like packing bearing, bleeding brakes, replacing fluids.

With a local car show coming up, we are considering entering it in a project category if they have one.

Looking forward to the community for advice and support.

(I will post pictures once my membership is upgraded from "brand new")

Edited by Mantis - 19-July-2018 at 5:51AM
Kevin
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 5:31AM
Welcome! Sounds like a good find, and the guys on here are top notch for helping out with even the smallest issue. Yep, we absolutely LOVE pics here!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 6:15AM
Welcome! I had a chance to buy a running driving Elite with a 460 in it several years ago for $1000, still wishing I had grabbed it up when I had the chance. Good luck with your project
Mantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 8:22AM
Thank you for the welcome.

Our getting the car is kind of a funny story.  It was up for sale for months, and my wife looked at it a few times.  We finally figured God was giving her a hint that she needed to buy it.

She grew up in Detroit and her father retired from Ford, so Fords are in her blood and it is just a natural fit.
Kevin
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 8:24AM
Welcome. Sounds great. Can't wait to see it
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 10:40AM
welcome kevin...  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 2:35PM
Welcome Kevin!  Thanks for the intro, you've been upgraded to a full member.  We don't have many Elite's on the forum, so it'd be great to see yours.  What engine does it have?  I had two uncles that had Elites in the 70's, both with 460's.

Here's how to post pictures if you need help:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 6:15PM
welcome!!! sounds cool, yes pics!!! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Mantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 8:24AM
Thank you for the warm welcome.  I apologize for the delay on pictures, I realized too late that I have none on my phone or Google drive.  I will have to go take a few.

Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Welcome Kevin!  Thanks for the intro, you've been upgraded to a full member.  We don't have many Elite's on the forum, so it'd be great to see yours.  What engine does it have?  I had two uncles that had Elites in the 70's, both with 460's.

This one has the 351W 2V engine in it.  I would love to find a donor with the 4V engine from the same year.  Not sure why it was not an option on the Elite.  I know people love their big blocks, but I like the small blocks.

We found out the local show has a "work in progress" category, so we will have pictures from her first show next Saturday if nothing else.

Edited by Mantis - 20-July-2018 at 8:25AM
Kevin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 2:39PM
Originally posted by Mantis Mantis wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I apologize for the delay on pictures, I realized too late that I have none on my phone or Google drive.  I will have to go take a few.

This one has the 351W 2V engine in it.  I would love to find a donor with the 4V engine from the same year.  Not sure why it was not an option on the Elite.  I know people love their big blocks, but I like the small blocks.

We found out the local show has a "work in progress" category, so we will have pictures from her first show next Saturday if nothing else.

I think Ford's reasoning that the 351C-4V was a performance engine, and the Elite was a personal luxurty car.  So they didn't really go together well.  Nothing wrong with small blocks at all.  I am partial to the 335 series family, but I like 'em all!
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Mantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 4:02PM
As promised, some pictures.  These were taken the day we got her home.

On a side note, I am hoping to get my wife signed up here to join in the fun.

Kevin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 4:12PM
wow looks like a pretty good car
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 2:05AM
Looks to be in great shape! What kind of plans do you have for her?

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:36AM
Looks great! Sounds like a great idea to get your wife signed up too.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Mantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:40AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Looks to be in great shape! What kind of plans do you have for her?

Plans at the moment are to get her running better and work on her over the next few years.  In time, we'll likely get her looking good and take her to shows.

The good news is she is a nice ride to the shows.
Kevin
jherb10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherb10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 10:02AM
Hi Kevin,

I'm new also. I used to have a 75 Elite. My neighbor gave it to me. Engine was locked up. Removed the plugs and oiled the cylinders, let it sit for a week or so, the turned it over by hand, then got it to fire. athen I pulled the engine (351W) for another project. Junked the car in 1998. Never installed the 351, ended up selling it when I moved. Wished I had it now. 

Good luck.

John

22 Jaguar F-Type R
18 Jaguar F-Pace
17 F250 crew cab
06 Five Hundred
03 F150 Super Crew
71 Monte Carlo SS clone
56 Pontiac Star Chief
 Post Reply Post Reply