The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

insulation what to use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: insulation what to use
    Posted: 20-July-2018 at 2:45PM
what kind of insulation to use on inside firewall before carpet
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 4:53PM
i used reflectix from home depot it's like mylar coated bubblewrap works goodWink glue it on with 3M spray adhesive

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 3:53AM
very good choice Johnny Thumbs Up
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:26AM
I used HushMat on the inside firewall, floors and doors, and Thermo-Guard FR  on the engine side firewall and over the AC box. Excellent results!

Edited by fordismyboss - 21-July-2018 at 11:28AM
doby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 2:38PM
what is hushmat
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 2:44PM
it's similar to dynamat...peel and stick sound deadening insulation
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 3:30PM
When I was working on mine(like that has stopped Embarrassed), I used a product from AudioTechnix, it was an 80mil sound deadener that used butyl as the adhesive(VERY aggressive) and an aluminum facing that is 7 mils thick. Most other sound deadeners at the time had facings of 2-3 mils of thickness and utilized an asphalt based adhesive. I used the 80mil deadener on the floor/firewall, doors, roof and even inside the subwoofer enclosure.

Try to stay away from the cheaper sound deadeners that use an asphalt based adhesive, unless of course you like the smell of a newly tarred roof, which is what you will encounter(especially on hot days) for weeks after it is installed.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
doby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 12:13AM
where would i pick some up at 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 2:10AM
I believe the company Audio Technix is no longer in business, sold out/bought by another company, not sure why the SD is no longer produced but it is/was a good product at a great price. That said, you can find 80 mil butyl adhesive backed SD from many manufacturers/suppliers, I found this product and it looks good at a good price: 
It is good you are looking at installing a SD/heat insulator for your ride, it makes quite a bit of difference once applied correctly to "our" older vehicles that came with little to none of this from the factory. The original jute backed carpet does have some qualities for insulating and/or sound deadening, but nowhere near as effective as the latest offerings in SD/heat isolating technology.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 2:55AM
I used to be a Sales Rep for HushMat and almost every new car manufacturer uses their products.
I was trained by Tim M. from HushMat and I really like their HushMat Ultra out of all their products.
Depending on how much area inside your cab you cover will determine how much heat, sound and vibration it will eliminate.

Make sure the metal is clear of any oil or loose dirt before you apply it.    

When this stuff is installed, its murder to remove it.   

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 22-July-2018 at 3:00AM
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 5:54AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoMan GranTorinoMan wrote:

When this stuff is installed, its murder to remove it.   

I just peeled back the corners to anchor each piece, probably not recommended but it seems to be holding in-place and the sound and insulation quality is perfect.
 Post Reply Post Reply