The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body part ?????’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body part ?????’s
    Posted: 22-January-2004 at 1:41PM

ok first one " what year fenders interchange( i have a 73) between 72-76 and...will the GT hood off of a 72 fit on a 73? thank for your time.

Enrest

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
firemedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firemedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2004 at 7:47AM
i can tell you for sure that a 72 sport hood will NOT fit a 73. i learned that the hard way. i found one in a junkyard and bought it, brought it home, had it painted to match and installed it and when i went to shut the hood the latch was not even close to matching.
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2004 at 1:43PM
thanks for the 411! sorry about your hood fiasco!  

'Q' code 63R body
capt.b-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt.b-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 7:36AM

i had a a torino expert (self proclaimed- but he seemed to know what he was talking about) tell me that to put a 72 front end onto a 73 or later, you have to swap the front fenders,hood, and front cap(bumper, Grill, valence, headlight buckets,etc,)  nothing against the 73 (i have a 73 ranchero gt) but it would have been nice for ford to have made the 72 front end for more than 1 year

the guy also told me that everything from the doors back would match up to the 72 front end

OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 5:04PM

Well, I know what you guys are feelin' about the '73 vs '72 sheetmetal. I have a '73 myself and decided to do something about the front bumper, hood and a few other things. The link below will take you to a photo album of my '73 Sport in which I show the front bumper prototype I'm working on, in various color trials I tried this past summer. I'll be building the mold for it this spring. I'll also be tackling the hood (bolt-on 'glass '73 hood with the '72 Sport bulge/scoop) and several other items. I don't think the factory lines are all that bad, they just need a few tweaks. Take a peek and see what you think:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/oledutchd

Kevin "Dutch" Dohner
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
rkm1003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkm1003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 7:26PM
Dutch, let me know how your hood comes out, I will be interested. Kelly
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 10:12PM

73-76 fenders from Torinos (not elites) will interchange. That goes for the hood, etc as well.

I do know someone who took a 73-76 Torino (Ranchero actually, but no different) and put a 72 front end on (hood, grill, bumpers, fenders). The issue with that swap is the front of the frame where you need to attach the 72 mounts and brackets (welding required of course) to mount the 72 parts. The fenders will bolt on as will the hood, but they will not fit a 73-76 because the front lines will not match or meet. That is why you have to weld 72 frame parts (just the front mounts) onto the 73-76 car you are working on. More or less they are basically the same otherwise.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2004 at 6:11AM
thank you all hopefully i can change the fender soon and get it ready for the Knotts berry farm all ford expo this summer!

'Q' code 63R body
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2004 at 9:18PM

If you can make a nice 'glass 73-76 hood with the '72 GT bulge/scoop, I'd be very interested as well, I believe it would give me the clearance I need for a Victor intake..

Please keep us informed!

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2004 at 6:16PM
Jim, God willing, it's more a matter of "when" as opposed to "if", on the hoods (as well as other items). The bumper project is front and center for me right now, but I do expect to start the preliminary work on the hoods in the very near future. As far as quality is concerned, this will be anything BUT a half-hearted effort.
We'll keep you posted,

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2004 at 5:57AM
   Kevin's bumper will definately be the hot item for all of us 73 Torino people. 73-76 fenders are the same, also if you do a 72 swap the length of the frame rails are about 2" to long but that can be corrected of course. Gary
Peter Jenerette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2004 at 5:10AM

If you want to know what it takes to put a 72 nose on a 73, I wanted a 72, but the best deal I could find was a 73. Needless to say, I have undertaken the swap.

Check out:

http://www.backwardsthinking.com/Torino

Good luck.

Pete

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2004 at 9:28PM
Bumped to get a progress report frokm Kevin on the 'glass hoods..
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
MTorino74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTorino74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 11:52PM

Hi guys !

Let's hope the attached pictures go through to the forum...

In brief, got 74 2D Torino with sport hood AND 72 front end. I have not done the job myself (previous owner did, unfortunately he has passed away), so don't ask too difficult questions

Torino has undergone quite a list of changes in addition to that: no vinyl roof, engine swap & rebuild, transmission swap & rebuild etc...

This summer I intend to concentrate on interiors as well as tidying up the engine room. Let's see what I find... Also I'mplanning to install 3.70 rear, later also turbine will be changed... Endless pile of work ! But, its a hobby, they say !

Best regards from Finland,

--- MEK

BTW: Since it is not that simple to find any parts to Torino in here, maybe You guys can some day help me !

MEK
jstur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 12:29AM

Personally, I like the 73 GTS better than the 72.  There is something sexy about the nose on the 73.  I think it is the grill.  As for the 5 MPH bumper, it doesn't bother me at all.  I like it, cause it adds to the low slung look to the nose on the car.

Too bad the world does not agree with us about the Torino cars.  We still do not get any respect.  I'm always looking to see prices for the 73 GTS, but rarely see one offered.  That may be good, though.  Once these cars were as common as 68 & 69 Camaro's around these parts.  However, you never ever see a 73 GTS on the roads these days (All crushed, I guess).  The 68 & 69 Camaro's are still commonly seen, though.  These can be seen any day of the week around here, and not just the odd one or two, but all over the place.  I just cannot understand why a car as common as those can have such good value as investments.

Personnally, I'm betting that cars that are quickly disappearing from our roads will be the best investments for the future.  That means that us guys with the 73 GTS cars will finally get some respect.

AH, YES!  The more 73 Torino's they crush, the more valuable mine becomes.  And, as the old saying goes, "They ain't making any more of them", especially the "Q" Code versions.  I'm betting that Mine and all like it will be worth near $100,000 in Ten Years.

JSTurner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 5:29AM

thats why i got my "Q" code in the works!!!! hopefully i can paint it in a month or so!

my huggy bear special!

'Q' code 63R body
jstur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 9:02AM

Mine is an HO 351C (Solid Lifter Engine), though a "Q" Code, that has a Shaker Hood with Ram Air, the extra Heavy Duty C6 with the CJ 2500 RPM Stall Converter, and the Heavy Duty Rear Axle with 3.50 Ratio, Detroit Locker and 31 Spline Axles.  It's a Four Bolt Main Engine.

It also has the Police Handling Package with Rear Sway Bar, Front Disc Brakes, and the Rallye Instrument Cluster with Tach.  Also, it has an Air Conditioner.

Well, all the experts say that Ford never made a 73 GTS like this.  However, mine has been this way since, at least, 1978.  That is the year it was parked in a junk yard.  When I purchased the whole car, nothing missing, just some damage,i.e., right front fender, hood, rear bumper, blown motor, transmission bad...  It was a repossession that the former owner destroyed before it was taken from him.  The Junk Man knew it was special, offering to sell it only as a whole car, and would not sell parts off of it.  No one wanted it, since it was a 73 Torino and these were still pretty common in the late 80's when I bought it complete.  Also, since the junk yard was out of the way in the mountains of Virginia, not many knowledgable people occassioned by.  And too, The car was way off the road back in the mountains until the Junk Man pulled it out to sit near the highway next to his office.  That is when I saw it (Couldn't believe my eyes) and bought it.

I've totally restored the car... done in 1991.  So, during that process I was able to see what was in the car, since everything, especially the drivetrain, had to be rebuilt.  Man!!  Talk about trying to find parts for a 9 3/8" Differential.  I'm guessing this is the Super Cobra Jet Differential...  Makes sense anyway.  It fits into the 9" Housing.

Whatever or however this car came to be, it must be super rare, even if it is just a Dealer Prepped car.

JSTurner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 11:19AM
Originally posted by jstur jstur wrote:

Mine is an HO 351C (Solid Lifter Engine), though a "Q" Code, that has a Shaker Hood with Ram Air, the extra Heavy Duty C6 with the CJ 2500 RPM Stall Converter, and the Heavy Duty Rear Axle with 3.50 Ratio, Detroit Locker and 31 Spline Axles.  It's a Four Bolt Main Engine.

It also has the Police Handling Package with Rear Sway Bar, Front Disc Brakes, and the Rallye Instrument Cluster with Tach.  Also, it has an Air Conditioner.

Well, all the experts say that Ford never made a 73 GTS like this.  However, mine has been this way since, at least, 1978.  That is the year it was parked in a junk yard.  When I purchased the whole car, nothing missing, just some damage,i.e., right front fender, hood, rear bumper, blown motor, transmission bad...  It was a repossession that the former owner destroyed before it was taken from him.  The Junk Man knew it was special, offering to sell it only as a whole car, and would not sell parts off of it.  No one wanted it, since it was a 73 Torino and these were still pretty common in the late 80's when I bought it complete.  Also, since the junk yard was out of the way in the mountains of Virginia, not many knowledgable people occassioned by.  And too, The car was way off the road back in the mountains until the Junk Man pulled it out to sit near the highway next to his office.  That is when I saw it (Couldn't believe my eyes) and bought it.

I've totally restored the car... done in 1991.  So, during that process I was able to see what was in the car, since everything, especially the drivetrain, had to be rebuilt.  Man!!  Talk about trying to find parts for a 9 3/8" Differential.  I'm guessing this is the Super Cobra Jet Differential...  Makes sense anyway.  It fits into the 9" Housing.

Whatever or however this car came to be, it must be super rare, even if it is just a Dealer Prepped car.

i have'nt gotten into the engine of mine but, mine has a/c as well, same c-6 with the stall speed and front and rear sway bars high back buckets with center console(even the light works when you open the top door, rim blow steering wheel, powe sterring cooler, big radiator it has the werdist interior color(looks white or taupe) with the ralley gauges and 3 light courtsey light,the trunk and hood light still work(never had a torino that had working ones)specail tinted tail-light rear lenses,mine does'nt have the extended rear bumper(73's had the rear bumper stick out about 1-1/2" farther) mines a late 72(date code 12/72) it came with the outside chrome moldings that go from front too back,but the previous owner decided too take them off,i am not sure if i am gong too out them back on when i re-paint it!? i saw that little sticker(under the trunk lid) that says this vehicle comes with posi traction etc etc, i do not think the 15x8 magnums are original though? i just wish it was a toploader 4 speed(like my first torino)i need to get the a/c going quick its getting hot in cali already! do you have any pics of the car,that would awesome.

'Q' code 63R body
jstur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 5:20PM

I don't have any pictures, at present.  I'm in the process of going through the engine again.  I had some trouble with the last rebuild.  There was a valve train failure every time I got into it above 5800 RPM's.  Turns out the wrong valve springs were installed or else they were cheapo.  My engine builder last time was a crook.  I paid for top dollar stuff, but he purchased the cheap stuff and kept the extra money. 

Anyway, this time I had the engine done by a race engine shop.  I bought all the parts myself and made sure they went in the motor.  With all the race prep done to block and heads, the engine posts right at 390 HP at 6200 RPM's through the stock exhaust manifolds, according to the shop's dyno.  They turned it up to 6500 RPM's, but prepped the bearing clearances for 7000 RPM or better.  Plus, now it has all the right parts back in it...  And it is still considered to be Stock.  All parts are Ford... Aluminum Intake, carb, valve covers, exhaust manifolds.  It is just really surprising how much Horse Power can be found by line boring the mains, decking & squaring the block, gasket matching, balance and blueprint, cam settings, etc.  But best of all, dialing in an engine on the dyno found 60 more HP in carb jetting & carb setup, timing, etc. 

After the engine work is complete (I'm waiting for the 780 CFM Ford Holley to return from a Pony Carbs remanufacture and further blueprinting), I need to take the car back to the shop for final adjustments, i.e., valve lash adjustment, etc., after a 1000 mile run in.  After that, I'm hoping to raise the money for a new paint job.  A tree fell on the car and did some damage.  Nothing serious, just minor dents, plus it has the vinyl roof which has rust spots popping up.  So, I need to fix that, too.

I'll need to find another sets of the laser stripes, though.  Mine have deteriorated somewhat after being on the car for over ten years.  Once all this is done, I'll take some pictures and post them.  My car is Green and my wife hates the color, but I cannot change it.

Oh, mine has the Rim Blow, AM/FM Stereo, and a green bench seat interior.  It has the factory 14" Magnums.  I'd like some of the 15", though.  There are more tire choices with 15" wheels.  Another odd thing, it has the factory electronic ignition system.  I thought that only came on the 460 PI in a 73 GTS.

Yes, I'd love to have the 4 Speed, as well.  However, I have another 73 "Q" Code that is for sale.  It needs to be restored.  If it doesn't sell, I may put a 4 Speed in it or rather a 5 or 6 Speed.  

JSTurner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2004 at 5:02AM

do you have that weird silver box by the battery? i have msd looking box with 4 wires comming out of it and i cannot figure out where/how the wires go to!? it has a toggle switch on it too switch from electronic or too standard ignition! it looks like its been on the car for sometime! any idea's?

Ernesto

Edited by The Torino Kid

'Q' code 63R body
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2004 at 6:38AM

IT is good to hear people say they like the 73 front end, when i ordered my 73 GTS new in March 0f 73 I seriously thought it looked better! The 73's had a lot stiffer springs and handled better,not as much body roll as earlier 72's. I still have my 73 and dont intend to get rid of it any time soon.   I will post pics soon.

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
jstur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2004 at 8:23PM
Yes, I do have the weird finned aluminum box, but it is on the frame rail next to the washer bottle.  I'm not familiar with the one you refer to with a switch to change from electronic to non-electronic.  What about your MSD box?  You say it is not hooked up.  In need an MSD 6AL box, and will be adding one later.  My engine was dyno'd with the MSD 6AL, but my car only has the Ford finned aluminum box.  There is a huge timing difference between the two boxes.  My engine just would not run properly with the Ford box.  I had to have the timing set way up so the engine would run close to right.  That's why I'm going to need to hide an MSD box somewhere in the system.  This way the car will maintain its' stock appearance, but have the advantages of a modern electronic system.
JSTurner
 Post Reply Post Reply