The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 68 Torino Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 68 Torino Owner
    Posted: 30-July-2018 at 7:23PM
Good evening all,

Recently purchased a 1968 Torino earlier this month and kept finding myself back at these forums through most of my research and reading, so figured I might as well join.

Been working on vehicles since I was 16, more out of necessity than enjoyment in the early days and had never worked on anything older than the late 80s up until the Torino, which has left me surprisingly ignorant when it comes to working on the older engine.

Looking for a few pointers and some advice as I try to put the old girl back together.

Thanks for having me and looking forward to meeting you all in the near future.

Frost
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 12:55AM
Welcome Frost, tell us about your 68'. This is a great source of info for these great cars.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 2:07AM
welcome! me i prefer working on the older cars, way more simpler!!Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Novarism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 7:49AM
Well let's see here.
I had been actively searching for a project car since back around December. I thought I had found "the one" when I found a 67 GTO (true GTO, not a rebadged Lemans or Tempest) that was running for $7000. Only catch was that it had been rear ended while parked on the side of the road. The seller was originally downplaying the extent of the damage, claiming that it was primarily superficial but when he finally posted images of the frame, it was obvious that the frame had been bent and I just wasn't willing to invest that heavily into a vehicle out of the gates.

My second prospect was a 67 Mustang for $5400. It appeared to be someone else's project car, with most the work appearing to have been done on the body and engine. Unfortunately by the time I called, it had sold earlier that day.

Returning to my search, I came across an unbadged Ford that I did not recognize, but immediately fell in love with. After a few days of texts, a 2 hour trip to Deming NM to look at the vehicle in person, I was bringing her home the very next day all for the low price of $2500.

The 68 Torino is a formal top with stock 302 paired with a C4. For a few hundred more, the couple that I bought the vehicle from tossed in a 390 (I assumed it was a FE, but after finding the casting number I found that it was in fact a 73 FT). The car was originally painted lime gold with a black vinyl top, ivy gold interior seats and trim, and medium ivy carpet. While I'm sure there are those that can appreciate such a stereotypically 60's color combination, I was actually relieved that the interior was completely trashed and that a previous owner had crudely sprayed black and grey primer over the original paint. All the trim had been removed and thrown into the trunk and from what I can tell most of it is still there, though after mocking it up on the body, I think I will forgo most of it and stick with just the basics. Only one patch of rust, I suspect due to damage since its in the same fender that has a dent and the fact that the rest of the body is solid with only minimal surface rust.

I know that 2005 was the last time the vehicle was registered and ran. It was registered in Arizona, before being sold to a mom and pop classic car yard in New Mexico, before being bought by myself and brought back to Texas.

I've only owned the Torino since the 4th of July, but I've managed to get the 302 running again, I've replaced all the rear drum brake hardware (learned when I was rolling the Torino off the trailer that it had no brakes), and primarily cleaning and minor tinkering while I try to decide what direction I want to take the rebuild. I was also dragging my feet while I stripped down the 390 to have it sent for cleaning, resurfacing, and crack checks. I've really been spending most the time

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

welcome! me i prefer working on the older cars, way more simpler!!Big smile

I've always heard this from all the older mechanics I've worked with and learned from, but I'll tell you trying to install a carburetor with no references and only vague generic instructions that came with it (not even for my model) was one of the single most frustrating experiences of my life. After having the engine go full throttle on initial start up (and catching a buddy on fire when it backfired), I realized something might have been wrong. Made some adjustments and it seems to idle as expected, but if I'm being honest I'm still not 100% sure that it's hooked up entirely right since there was no carb in it when I got it and there were lots of extra parts laying around under the hood, with some of them not even belonging to the Torino.
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 8:28AM
Do you know if the big block is a 361 or 391?  the 391's better than the garden variety 390's, due to slightly thicker castings. I had one in a '63 1/2 Galaxie Sportsroof, with a 427 crank and rods, and custom pistons.  True torque motor.  You need to use a FT distributor, however, because the hole in the block where the bottom is supported is slightly larger on the 391(go ahead, ask me how I learned THAT lessonBig smile).  Good luck, and post pics!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 8:30AM
Welcome David. Sounds like you got yourself a nice project car. My wife is from El Paso and graduated from UTEP. We visit her family for Thanksgiving almost every year and our first stop is always Chico's! LOL! At first I didn't get all the hype, but those tacos do grow on you. But it's definitely an El Paso thing...Wink

Post some photos of your car when you can. 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Novarism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 10:29AM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

Do you know if the big block is a 361 or 391?  the 391's better than the garden variety 390's, due to slightly thicker castings. I had one in a '63 1/2 Galaxie Sportsroof, with a 427 crank and rods, and custom pistons.  True torque motor.  You need to use a FT distributor, however, because the hole in the block where the bottom is supported is slightly larger on the 391(go ahead, ask me how I learned THAT lessonBig smile).  Good luck, and post pics!Thumbs Up

While I have not personally verified (bad, I know), the individuals that sold me the engine claimed it was actually a 390 (well, 391 since its a FT), I have not had the time to independently verify this. I plan to within the next few weeks when I'm not stuck working. I'll let you all know when I know, lol.
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Welcome David. Sounds like you got yourself a nice project car. My wife is from El Paso and graduated from UTEP. We visit her family for Thanksgiving almost every year and our first stop is always Chico's! LOL! At first I didn't get all the hype, but those tacos do grow on you. But it's definitely an El Paso thing...Wink

Post some photos of your car when you can. 

I've been here in El Paso for nearly 2 years and have yet to go to Chicos. The only time I have heard people talk positively about it normally do so in the context of "It's great drunk food".

Aside from that, Texas in general has been a candy shop for classic cars. Having originally came from Florida, I'm used to most cars rusting to nothing after 15 years. My 2001 Explorer which was a Florida truck has significantly more rust and pitting than the 68 Torino.

I will definitely be posting pictures later today once I get off of work.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 12:58PM
Welcome to the Forum Frost.  Sounds like you got yourself a pretty nice Torino.  Please share some pics when you have a chance. 

I am sure the members here will be able to help you out with your project.  We look forward to seeing the car and following your progress.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Novarism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2018 at 1:45PM
As per the requests, pictures can be found in this post:

More pictures in the link below the four initial shots.
 Post Reply Post Reply