The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi everyone! (73 GTS)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi everyone! (73 GTS)
    Posted: 05-August-2018 at 4:47AM
Hello,

My name is Mason from KS. Growing up I always wanted an old car and fix it up. When I was dating my wife in high school, my father in law had a 73 GTS formal roof sitting in a barn(was his ride when he was in college) When I asked him about it he flat out handed the keys to me and said it’s yours. So far I’ve rebuilt the engine & trans and rebuilt the front end. It’s not my dream car but working on it and hearing memories my father in law tells of the car make this car special to me.

Im no mechanic so I’m taking this project slowly piece by piece. Hoping this forum can help in any questions I have.

Thanks for letting me join!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 6:09AM
 welcome mason! that's cool! well if you've already rebuilt the engine , trans, and front end that's pretty damn good for not being a mechanic!!!
post some pics when you can Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 2:14PM
welcome just ask someone has done it or undone it /ANDY
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 2:42PM
Originally posted by andrewok1 andrewok1 wrote:

welcome just ask someone has done it or undone it

Ain't that the truth!

Edited by lynchster - 05-August-2018 at 2:42PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 12:55AM
Welcome, and I think most of us have been in the same spot you are! Sounds like progress is being made, though....that's all that matters. Make it your own, take your time and you'll have a great car. And yes, post pics...we love pics here!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 1:24AM
welcome mason, you are in the right place.  these guys got me through a complete frame off restoration on my 73 gts.  and i am not a mechanic either.  but you will be amazed at what you can do with a little effort and these fellas behind you. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 2:03AM
Welcome Mason, I am a new forum member also and also reside in Kansas. Where are you located in the state? It's good to have a fellow GTS Kansan here. Good luck with your project.
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 2:13PM
Welcome Mason! My 73 formal roof wasn’t my dream car either when I bought it 2 years ago, but it had a Cleveland that ran good, wasn’t a rust bucket, and was roadworthy enough to enjoy driving while I slowly made improvements. I wish you luck with your project & look forward to seeing some pictures of it!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2018 at 3:00PM
Welcome Mason!  Sounds like a great car to fix up with your family history attached to it.  Share some pics, we'd love to see the car. 

Here are instructions if you need help:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 3:27AM
Thanks for the motivation all!
Here's some pics of my progress so far.

Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 3:28AM
Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 3:29AM
Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 3:30AM
Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 3:31AM
I live in the Wichita area. Great to see other Kansans as well! 
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 4:16AM
Looks like a good solid car. The frame looks great after you’ve cleaned & painted it. Just curious, how are you cleaning the frame prior to painting it- blasting? wire brushing?- the end results look really nice. You have a clean, dry place to work which is important to the success of any project. Keep the updates coming!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 4:48AM
wow looks like a great car, glad you got the that top off while you still had metal there
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Mason355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mason355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 9:31AM
I ended up using a wire wheel on a power drill to get down to bare metal, sanded, sprayed primer then spray paint. Took my time getting it down to bare metal. Would have been quicker if I took the wheel wells out but I'm still nervous about taking parts off and getting them back on correct. Last winter my goal was to get the front end rebuilt which got me motivated to paint.    
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 10:14AM
very nice job ,looking good 3 more to go 
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 3:52PM
Coming along nicely. Take the time to document what goes where with pics and videos. It is a lot of fun working on these machines. I am into my project for way more than I had planned but it will be worth it once finished. Haggerty disagrees but it is what it is.

Edited by handsofstone - 26-August-2018 at 3:53PM
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 3:55PM
welcome and cool Torino, I have always liked that green.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 5:22PM
Looks very nice. Same color as the base 4-door that I had....4C Ivy Glow.
David
 Post Reply Post Reply