The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey there! 73 Gran Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey there! 73 Gran Torino
    Posted: 13-August-2018 at 8:13AM
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Brandon, 21 years old, and I own a 1973 Gran Torino that I am currently in the process of restoring. It's been a long road to get it to this point but thankfully I am I done with all of the mechanical work and most of my interior. I'm sure I'll be around quite frequently for the last stretch of this project to make sure that everything goes smoothly.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 9:39AM
We enjoy photos of such projects if it is possible Thumbs Up Good luck with finishing it up. 
brandonlabounty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 9:46AM
Usually I would be happy to! But sadly the recent weather was not kind to me and I ended up hydroplaning into somebody so for the time being it is at a garage. I was actually planning on making a post to see if anybody knew where I could find some replacement front end parts (both front fenders, bumper, hood) once my account verified. I'm definitely upset about it happening but it may have been a blessing in disguise as some of those parts were most likely going to have to be replaced for me to move forward on any body work anyways. I really just hope that my bumper ends up being okay since it was in very good shape and would have needed little to no work done on it.

Edited by brandonlabounty - 13-August-2018 at 9:47AM
Bensport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 10:05AM
Welcome Brandon, great to see a younger person into these bad ass classic cars...my 17 year old son is now into Torino's since I got my 73 sport roof. I got lucky and just replaced some light bulbs to get it inspected and on the road... I just bought a 70 Torino as a project car for us to do together. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable people here... Good luck and we do love pics.
Ben

73 GTS Sport Roof
96 F350 7.3 Powerstroke/Chip
96 Bronco 5.8 Eddie B on 35's
95 Bronco 5.8 Eddie Bauer
06 Peterbilt 335
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 12:56PM
Welcome Brandon!  You've been upgraded to a full member,  It's great to see a 21 year old interested in a car twice their age!  Do you have a 2-door or 4-door car?  Is it a Gran Torino or a Gran Torino Sport?

We'd love to see some pictures.  Here are some instructions if you need help:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 2:07PM
welcome! yes pics Big smile i may have some of the parts you need....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 3:35PM
^ This. And welcome.
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 4:54PM
Welcome Brandon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 12:50AM

I hope there aren't any duplicate photos, I'm trying to find what I have stored on my phone, 2 door, base model, had the vinyl top and I should still have all of my trim somewhere around the house, it was taken off for some reason. I forget at this point. 351 Windsor. The interior is basically redone with a few minor things left (some cracked trim, knobs, and the cardboard by the rear windshield, maybe some other small stuff). All of the upholstery is redone at this point though. The last picture is the result of what the accident did to it.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 12:55AM
That has S&H written all over it.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 1:00AM
Oh man that has to hurt to see your car like that! Yeah, you'll have to strip off the font end and let us know what you need. Hope nobody was hurt in the accident. Welcome!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 1:00AM
I've actually been looking at Starsky and Hutch cars ever since the accident. I've been seeing them all around trying to find replacement parts and love it, too bad the insurance company didn't give me enough for one. But one day I'll get there I'm sure. This isn't planned to be my only classic car.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 1:04AM
Everybody was okay thankfully! Surprisingly the car in front of me came out a lot better than I did. I didn't really hit them going too fast, I guess there must have just been some underlying issues with the front end. So far it looks like the hood, both front fenders, the grille, passenger side headlight trim, and bumper. But once I've gotten word back from the garage that it's being stored at some of that might still be okay. The bumper didn't look too bad but it might be wrecked on the back side. I didn't get a good look at it in person, it was a hectic night and my dad ended up taking over with everything for me.
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 5:34AM
WELCOM , where in New York are you located ? I'm just outside of Rochester .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 8:30AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

That has S&H written all over it.

No it does not wrong year. 76 is the correct year but 74-76 works fine for those. Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 8:38AM
That's true! I personally think they are very similar though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 9:23AM
they are.......kind of. The back taillights and bumper are very different. You can pull it off with the 73 front end just not the back (JMO) Good luck trying to put you beast back together. try this guy his parts are very good quality (little pricey) but worth it  http://www.blueoval6079.com/ ; I have used him for the 74 ranchero and have been very happy.   
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 12:37PM
welcome, and sorry to see your baby in that condition.  somethings we have on this forum, knowledge, great people to help, and guys that have parts.  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 6:03PM
Welcome to the site. Some of the body damage while it may appear bad, that can be metal worked with the right tools.
May want to look up a local vo-tech school and see if they have any weekend classes for bodywork. Sometimes some community colleges you can get lucky and take classes and work on your car, use the school shop and tools to fix the damage and learn to respray her.

And remember, when driving these old cars...pump the brakes. They don't have ABS, as you learned the hard way.
There are some local guys to you that may have parts you need. If you were close to me, I know of a few '73 parts cars, but I'm in Nebraska.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 12:23AM
[QUOTE=Eliteman76] Welcome to the site. Some of the body damage while it may appear bad, that can be metal worked with the right tools.
May want to look up a local vo-tech school and see if they have any weekend classes for bodywork. Sometimes some community colleges you can get lucky and take classes and work on your car, use the school shop and tools to fix the damage and learn to respray her.

It's not really that I don't know how to do the work, me or my dad just don't have the time to do it ourselves right now. We have a lot of other stuff going on so this is kind of the icing on the cake. How much are the owners of those parts cars looking for? We're already going to be potentially making a 28 hour drive for something but it doesn't really look too solid and I'm pretty sure I'll just be disappointed when I finally get to see it in person. So if you know of any better options it would be a great help.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2018 at 6:45AM
this might be worth investigating, fly down & take a look, rent a truck or hook up a U-ship if it's worth while

Texas = Thumbs Up, i wouldn't waste any time looking for parts in the rust belt

Edited by 72FordGTS - 22-August-2018 at 11:59AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply