The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic door panel repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic door panel repair
    Posted: 25-August-2018 at 4:32PM
I’ve got some somewhat nasty looking door panels on my 73 GTS. The tops of the panels are crumbling and have several holes already developing which is like to repair. I’m trying to think of ways to fill and smooth it out but I’m fairly sure Bondo won’t adhere well to the plastic. I believe it’s HDPE but someone please correct me if I’m mistaken. I was thinking about doing a fiberglass repair putty perhaps with a reinforcement fabric on the backside of the panel, then sand it smooth and paint. On that note, does anyone make a factory ford “blue” vinyl/plastic paint that matches the 73 interior blue?
-1973 Gran Torino Sport 351C 2V
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2018 at 6:53PM
They do make repair materials for all kinds of plastics. The trick is finding the right material to match what is being repaired. I know one test involves whether or not the plastic floats. Not an ideal test for a door panel.
If they are that deteriorated you may wish to dye better replacements if you can find them. If not stop by a jobber (auto body supply store) with the car or panel in question and they should be able to advise you on the correct material.
From there it can get a little pricey. The dual mix cartridges run about $50 but there is also an applicator gun involved and mixing tips.
I'm cheap and I rarely use the mixing tips. They waste too much material for me. I usually squeeze it out on a box an mix it like filler.
Another option to get away from using a gun is to self meter. I had to do this once when using a 3M cartridge but having an incompatible SEM gun. I wound up using an extension and a socket that fit into the cartridge. One side at a time and you're eyeballing the mix.    

That's all I got for you.       
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2018 at 6:58PM
there's a topic on here somewhere about doing that can't remember who did it??? and something about using a heat gun to reflow the sun faded part but sounds like yours are beyond that?

yes those are HDPEWink
FWIW the "A" pillar moldings,dash and consoles are ABS
 and the white dash cluster housings that crumble are PVC i believe
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 12:52AM
Sal wrote something up about fixing the door panels. Its over in the how-to section:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/sport-door-panel-restoration-refinish_topic17064.html
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Notmikeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 2:11AM
I saw that post before. Mine are beyond sanding as I have actual holes that would need filling. I know fiberglass won’t bond to hdpe but I was thinking I could basically “skim coat” the surface with a layer of fiberglass and then have a layer of fiberglass underneath with the holes acting like rivets. Alternatively, I could use the top portion to make a mold and completely replace the top portion with fiberglass.

Or I could just stop being cheap and try to find some good condition panels.
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 2:31AM
scott drake sells interior dyes that are a perfect match. I have used the med blue metallic dye with great results.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 2:51AM
Yeah, the heat gun trick that John mentioned works like a charm. If nothing else, I see the Sport panels come up for sale from time to time on fb.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 7:24AM
there are a set of black panels for sale on FB i think he may be a member here??? i think he has them on ebay as well... they are black with white inserts
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Notmikeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 11:56PM
Are the Ranchero GT panels the same as the GTS? They look similar in pics but I can’t tell for sure without having a set in hand.
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 1:49AM
Yep! Same thing. They'll fit Ranchero, Montego, Gran Torino......
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 4:58AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

yes those are HDPEWink
FWIW the "A" pillar moldings,dash and consoles are ABS
 and the white dash cluster housings that crumble are PVC i believe

This ought to be made a sticky...looking at the SEM line to get the right glue for console/dash and pillar repair!
Thanks Johnny!

Notmikeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 11:23AM
Pics to show the holes I’m speaking of.

Edited by Notmikeb - 27-August-2018 at 11:23AM
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 1:39PM
 Shocked yeah that's pretty sun rotted!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply