The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aftermarket front brake upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket front brake upgrade
    Posted: 29-August-2018 at 12:54PM
Looking to upgrade the front brakes and I took some measurements of the front spindle.
It seems the 270-11070 hub from the 71-73 mustang application will fit just right. 
I've been eyeing this kit but I'd like to get a thicker rotor and a bigger diameter.
https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-11074
It seems there's a different part number between the gran torino and mustang dust shield. But that shouldn't be an issue, the bracket can be re-drilled.

I'll keep you guys up to date, as I might buy the front kit over the weekend.

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2018 at 1:09PM
Pull up the bearing part numbers and see if they match or at least have the same inside dimension.
Also measure the length of the spindle or the depth between bearings on both rotors.
Then check the location of the disc on the hub. (Like checking backspacing on a wheel)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2018 at 2:18PM
Bearings have the same dimensions and part numbers are the same.
I don't know if the depth between bearings is the same on both rotors but I can tell you it is the same between the wilwood hub and a 73 gran torino hub.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2018 at 6:19AM
When looking into brakes a few years ago I discovered that there were not many options going to a high-performance setup. Even designing something from scratch was a challenge because of the rotor positioning relative to the hub on the stock setup. Something like the Wilwood setup would limit options to Wilwood rotors and a 12" rotor is never going to be enough to give consistent results if that's the only one you can get for that hub. I also have never associated Wilwood with real high-performance applications. I see Wilwood setups on a lot of show cars but never at the track even at auto-x. It does appear that the Wilwood hub is a great start to not having to machine down factory rotors and deal with questionable strength on the aftermarket parts. Let us know what you discover.
-Billy Conturo
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 8:07AM
I've been looking at these. Drilled & slotted made a huge difference on my SuperDuty as well as my son's 93 Thunderbird.

1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 10:15AM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

I've been looking at these. Drilled & slotted made a huge difference on my SuperDuty as well as my son's 93 Thunderbird.

X2 on the drilled and slotted rotors. I have been using them for over 12 years on my SD and every vehicle I own since, hell if my lawnmower had brake rotors they would be drilled and slotted.
As a side note the best brake pads I have used by far for my SD have been Performance Friction Carbon Metallic, #'s 0756.20 Fronts and #0757.20 Rear.

Carry on.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 10:18AM
2 front sets on my Crown Vic wore strange patterns, flat even grooves as if the rotors were heat treated poorly

but they sure stop like Censored

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-September-2018 at 10:19AM
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 10:47AM
Thank you for the input. I went a bit bigger and got those. I will get a bracket made shortly and if anyone is interested, I may order a few extras for yall.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2019 at 4:11AM
Well, the front hub from Wilwood does not fit. My fault for not looking closer at their schematic/measurements chart better.

I bought a set of Wilwood 6 pistons caliper and 13" rotors that came of a 2014 mustang.
First step was cut cut the rotor portion of my old brakes to only keep a hub. Now you can have them machine down to whatever size you want. I will get mine done
 by a friend as soon as he receives his lathe.

I ordered new longer studs has I'm using spacers and I didn't have enough treads left to feel safe. Not necessary at all, you can reuse the old one, especially if you cut down the face of the hub.

I'm using 1/4 steel flat bar to create a bracket that I weld to 2 1/2-13 square nuts. I made a rough template out of hard foam (my cat chewed it off a bit). Once the bracket is made, I reinforced it with a second layer of 1/4" steel. Drilled the bracket to match the bracket that came with the brakes.

MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2019 at 1:22AM
Let us know if you buy those ALT rotors. Reviews don't look that good.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Post Reply Post Reply