The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mill/lathe combo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mill/lathe combo
    Posted: 09-September-2018 at 10:38AM
I'm in need of a custom set of front brakes caliper bracket and just like most of you guys, I always want more tools. Which brings me to a lathe/mill combo machine. I've been reading a lot about them and came to the conclusion the most majority prefers independent machines instead. Given the space constriction and the fact I'd be using the machine sporadically at best, I've been looking at used machine, especially the Smithy 1220XL and Granite from the same manufacturer.

I would put one on my box if I get a good deal. There's not much space in the shed and I don't think it would be possible to bring on in the basement without taking it entirely apart.

Anyone has a similar machine with some feedback on the operation?

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 12:23PM
I have never used one of these so I can't comment on the function ability.  However, without a proper shop and without the experience on the machine, it might not be the best investment. Unless you can get a smokin' deal on it, I think you'd be better off just paying someone to do the machine work.  I have had a few custom parts made, but I am luck that my brother-in-law is a millwright who can pretty much make anything out of metal (and has his own company with shop tools).  Did you make any contacts with machinists while working in the garage?  What are you planning on making?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 12:30PM
I don't really know anyone that could mill for me. I'm looking to cut my old rotors into hubs and make a set of brackets to fit a set of 14" wilwood with 6 piston calipers. I figured I could make a few more brackets and sell them to pay for part of the machine. 

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 3:02PM
good luck finding someone you don't know to cut rotors down to hubs, or modify hubs

they call it liability

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-September-2018 at 3:02PM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 4:13PM
hard to tell the size of that machine from the pic but looks way to small to lathe off the rotors!!! i have a 10x 38 lathe and it don't even have enough clearance to the bed to fit a rotor on there to cut  it like you want....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 12:09PM
Ilyes, have you ever tried talking to Little Shop Manufacturing? That was the company that made the tubular control arms and the strut rod bearings for our group buys. They might be willing to do these jobs for you.

https://www.littleshopmfg.com

I bought the strut rod bearings from them and their work is top notch. Not cheap, but it's nice to see a company supporting such small numbers for custom parts.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 12:28PM
Bed clearance is 12", but that would not be an issue really as I would just use a cut off wheel to slice the rotor first. I'd rather put money towards the machine than paying someone to do the work. That'd be more fun to make stuff and I can assume that the price I'd be charge would probably be half the cost of the machine.
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2018 at 10:56AM
I have a set of the finished hubs, I sent you a PM. 

I also happen to have a Smithy 1220xl. It's a very nice home combo machine. I use it primarily for my gunsmithing side business. 

Just something to consider though.... even if you find a used Smithy for a good price, you're going to spend thousands on accessories to use it. I got lucky and got my Smithy from a local estate sale for $900. And then I spent another $3300 buying mills, bits, cutters, arbors, collets, machine vises, hold down kits, different size lathe chucks, precision measuring devices....well you get the point. 

It's neat to think about owning your own mill/lathe, but understand you pretty much need a specific tool for every different thing you'll use it for.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
jamesperry55 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesperry55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2020 at 7:25AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

I'm in need of a custom set of front brakes caliper bracket and just like most of you guys, I always want more tools. Which brings me to a lathe/mill combo machine. I've been reading a lot about them and came to the conclusion the most majority prefers independent machines instead. Given the space constriction and the fact I'd be using the machine sporadically at best, I've been looking at used machine, especially the Smithy 1220XL and Granite from the same manufacturer.I would put one on my box if I get a good deal. There's not much space in the shed and I don't think it would be possible to bring on in the basement without taking it entirely apart.

Anyone has a similar machine with some feedback on the operation?

Hey buddy , if any of you looking for Best lathe mill comobos then i can suggest you these two :-

1. Shop Fox M1018 Combo Lathe/Mill
 Shop Fox M1018 Combo Lathe/Mill is ideal for spinning, grinding, cutting threads, and traction of tiny designs. 

This hybrid lathe mill combo is filled with additional add-ons such as a 9-1/2-inch faceplate, 4-inch 3-jaw chuck, 4-way turret machine panel, and an incorporated revolving vise. 

2. Smithy Lathe Mill Combo
They also give the operator training for how to use this machine and also provide them with a free tool pack on purchasing. Smithy Tools are employed in hundreds of different settings to make and repair parts. 

Smithy lathe mill combo is likely to produce profits and save profits for owners who are going to bring the equipment into operation.

These two are best according to me. I am using  Smithy Lathe and it works good. And i must say they are value for money.
I got their recommendation from this article on lathe mill combos(check).

So you can check any 5 mentioned in article but please first check the buying guide 

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply