The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vent Cowl?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vent Cowl?
    Posted: 13-December-2018 at 12:41AM
Yes some awesome documentation. I have only seen One 70 - 71 in over a decade of u pull it yarding in El paso. A beat up four door. In hindsight should have taken more off it than the few bits I did remove.
mainemud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainemud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2018 at 2:07AM
Incredible post! Thank you so very much! Your pictures are invaluable.
1970 Torino Fastback with 1972 Lincoln 460
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 3:39PM
here's what i found when i removed the top 1/2 of the cowl pillow,

drivers side

middle

passenger side

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 3:21PM
depends upon the level of repair / restoration and how long you need it to last?

i used fiberglass, other have welded in metal. some have covered over the entire cowl air intake and sealed it so no water (or air) gets in anyway.

i might be 'off' but i think i just remembered there are repair panels available for 70-71 cowls?

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-September-2018 at 3:21PM
72 GT Ute

mainemud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainemud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 2:35PM
Appreciate the info. Fiberglass repair?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 2:28PM
the cover / grills don't keep water out, if you're getting water into the vents you have a rust problem under the pine needle acorns and leaves. from new in 1970 there was a stand-off the separates air from water for the blower fan intake, in 2018 it probably looks more like this

the putty schmoo was from when water started getting into the vents as you're describing, then the rest crumbled through around the stand-off hat and water started coming directly into the passenger compartment. big job to fix Confused

72 GT Ute

mainemud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainemud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 1:37PM

Looking for what I believe is called the vent cowl / cover. Water is getting inside vent system while i'm doing other work.

I'm new to finding a company that either makes these or perhaps OEM from a yard.

Thanks all
70 fastback
 Post Reply Post Reply