Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porous Master Cylinder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porous Master Cylinder?
    Posted: 16-September-2018 at 1:26PM
I was working on bleeding my brakes this past weekend now that I have the new combo valve and lines reinstalled.  I noticed at the back of the master cylinder there was a wet spot.  This was on the part between the reservoir and the mounting holes.  I dried it and noticed over night it was wet there again.  The top is on and sealed, so it seems like there is either a invisible crack or the casting is porous and seeping fluid.

This master cylinder is not that old, maybe about 6 years old.  I believe it is a "new" not rebuilt Cardone unit, but it may be a made in China casting.  So maybe that's why it's seeping? 

Anyone have a suggestion for a good quality master cylinder for a '1972 power brake car?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2018 at 1:48PM
more than likely there's some pitting inside or the o-ring seal is leaking????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2018 at 1:54PM
No pitting or anything. It looks like new.  And it the actual casting that is getting wet.  It's right in this corner of the casting I circled in red below.  Right at the bottom of the reservoir where it meets the tubular section that goes back to the mount. 
I am assuming this junk now and I don't want the fluid to eat my fresh paint.  I just want to buy a decent replacement that will last more than a few years.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2018 at 2:21PM
  Shocked wow you probably have a bad casting often referred to as sand pitting
replace it and you should be fineWink
 if you want... pay the shipping i'll send you mine from my car it was fine i swapped to the lincoln mark IV master
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 12:12PM
Thanks for the offer John. I ordered a new one frm a parts place today and it will be here tomorrow. I will try Doorman this time. It has a lifetime warranty.

FWIW, I could have got a cardone again, a Raybestos or a Doorman. All are about the same price, but Doorman has the best warranty. All are offshore, Cardone and Raybestos made in China, Doorman made in Taiwan.

The leaking master cylinder also damaged the paint on my newly repainted booster! So I will have to fix that too!
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 1:25PM
the chinesium casting has released the schmoo!

i might've ordered the same one and returned the leaker in the new box
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2018 at 3:18PM
Yeah I didn't think of that.
Although the parts guy is my friend so I'd have to buy it from a different place if I was going to do that.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2018 at 12:24PM
Just to update, I got the Doorman master cylinder yesterday.  It seems to be better than the Cardone unit.  I noticed immediately that it is much heavier than the Cardone one.  When I looked at the Cardone unit closer, it seems to be some sort of strange metal casting.  It's non-magnetic and it much light than the obviously cast iron Doorman.  It's heavier an darker than cast aluminum?  I hope this Doorman unit lasts longer...

Vince

GTS.org Admin
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2018 at 3:54AM
I bought a brand new Dorman ('77 Lincoln Mark V application) and it's made in Italy. Very good quality and perhaps the '72/73 application are the same, but?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2018 at 9:31AM
Yup, chinesium
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply