The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1971 Cougar Seats and Various Misgivings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Cougar Seats and Various Misgivings
    Posted: 25-September-2018 at 8:59AM
Going to be picking up a set of buckets from a 71 XR-7 in pretty good shape. I realize these are based on the 71-73 Mustang, so it's not a "plug and play" (to use the millennial language) in regards to the tracks. I have a set of mint 74 cougar 50/50 seats, and the mint black bench out of my 72 Montego.  So....is this a lot of fab work? Or will tracks swap out with maybe some drilling, etc. Remember...I was stupid (and drunk a lot) in my youth and never took shop classes, so welding is out for me...although I'm sure I could find a place to do the work for me. Rather not take that route, though. 

Part of the deal also includes 2 1971 Cougar consoles and all related accessories, the rim-blow wheel, and the XR-7 hood scoop. No idea what I'm going to do with them yet, but who cares! Big smile

Any other parts I should get off this that MAY be of use down the road on my 1972 Montego? I love the style of the dashboard, but that might be a bit too much work. Mirrors? The rear bumper on these Cougars are way cool, but it would have to be sectioned and new brackets made to work.  Just thinking out loud.....I'm not a purist, but I certainly lack skills!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2018 at 1:49PM
I love 71 - 73 Cougars.  I hope to get one, one day.

Don't know much about them though, so I'm not sure what else you should get, nor what it would take to make the seats work.  Sounds like you're getting the stuff that counts.  If the mirrors are the "bullet" sport mirrors, then I'd think they would be worth getting.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2018 at 1:05AM
I had a '73 Mach 1 years ago, and I remember the rare parts were the in-dash tach, center dash gauges, and any deluxe interior parts.  The shifter mechanism is the same as most of the Fords of that vintage.  The steering column is way different, but I think the TS switch and keylock both interchange.  

Post Pics of the scoop and console when you get them, I may want to take them off Your hands.Big smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
 Post Reply Post Reply