The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3G Alternator upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3G Alternator upgrade
    Posted: 01-August-2019 at 1:09AM
What did this turn out to be? Curious.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 12:44PM
Double checked all the fusible links?
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
rodgy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodgy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 12:21PM
I have isolated all alternator wiring from main harness and I still get no power. Do you have any other suggestions, you mentioned something about the ignition switch. Looking for any idea's.
Thanks
Rod
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 11:31AM
so you have power inside at the fuse box?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 10:06AM
I would remove all wiring to alternator, should be just BAT(+) and Light Green/Red Stripe wire(trigger wire that "tells" the alternator to charge), just to remove it electrically if there is an issue within(like a leaking diode or blown VR). I have a few ?'s, but will start with this one.   1) Do the lights come on when you pull the light switch, parking and/or headlights. This verifies wiring is OK for that circuit and battery +/- connections are at least decent.  2) On the battery side of the solenoid there are 2 or 3 wires with a fusible link made into each wire, you may need to remove loom/electrical tape about 8-10" from the wires starting nearest the fender mounted solenoid and traveling toward firewall, doing this will allow to test each fusible link with a VOM multimeter that has audible verification. Remove the wires from the solenoid, place one lead of the ohm meter to the ring terminal and on the other side of the fusible link(you can visually see the link made into the wire)pierce the wire with the ohm meter probe and listen for the audible tone. If no tone, check probes for connection, if still no tone you possibly have a bad fusible link. Now you can temporarily jump this bad link with a piece of 12 ga wire, to test if there is now 12v where there wasn't before. One of these fusible links energizes the ignition switch-the wire is YELLOW and comes from the battery side of the starter solenoid. I believe you have either a blown fusible link, possible bad wiring connection or a faulty ignition switch(least likely).

As far as wiring the choke coil, I would not use the stator lead directly from the alternator, I would use the LIGHT GREEN/RED STRIPE wire from the ignition switch circuit that energizes the alternator to also energize the choke coil via a Bosch style relay and fuse both the LG/RS wire(7.5 amp) and the output wire to the choke coil (7.5 amp). Hope this helps.

Edited by aquartlow - 06-October-2018 at 10:09AM

rodgy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodgy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 9:21AM
No power at all, and I have disconected the choke for now.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 9:01AM
So no power at all, or just no alternator output? How did you wire the choke coil, the 3G stator lead by any chance? BTW, don't let your "friend" help out anymore Wink.

rodgy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodgy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 8:36AM
On my 75 Ranchero 460,I did the the 3G alternator upgrade and as I was finishing up, a friend who was helping. I checked Accidently grounded the the choke coil wire to the manifold. The result is no power to anything. I have checked all fuseable links and all ok. I also checked the main fuse block under the dash, and all were ok, I checked them with a meter not just visually . I'm at a loss as to where to go next. Looking for help.
 Post Reply Post Reply