The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351 CJ Fuel Pump Eccentric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgold69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 CJ Fuel Pump Eccentric
    Posted: 02-November-2018 at 1:59PM
what do you guys know about the fuel pump eccentric for a 351 cj . engine  the guy at the local speed shop says  there is only one for clevelands it has a 3/8 bolt  I thought the q code engines used a 7/16 bolt  any help would be appreciated  I haven't taken the timing cover off yet but I looked in the hole for the fuel pump it looks like the timing chain is rubbing on something
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2018 at 11:19AM
Originally posted by oldgold69 oldgold69 wrote:

what do you guys know about the fuel pump eccentric for a 351 cj . engine  the guy at the local speed shop says  there is only one for clevelands it has a 3/8 bolt  I thought the q code engines used a 7/16 bolt  any help would be appreciated  I haven't taken the timing cover off yet but I looked in the hole for the fuel pump it looks like the timing chain is rubbing on something

the 351C / 351M / 400 fuel pump eccentric is unique, not the same as others. using engine codes for the FP Eccentric will get confusing when it comes to the H code because 351W-2V's are included under that category, and they use a different FPE than the 351C-2V (H code) which is the same FPE as the 351C-4V M & Q codes and the 400 (S code)

the 335 series FPE is 2 piece, thinner and smaller diameter than the typical Windsor 1 piece FPE, aftermarket timing sets for the 351C and often are not compatible with the original 2 piece unit and cams come with the wrong length dowel too. it can get into a big mess, but i've never heard of one wearing out, what's the problem with it anyway?

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2018 at 10:27AM
72 GT Ute

oldgold69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgold69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 4:20AM
I  put a new fuel pump in it after I also put a new gas tank in too blew air in the tank gut it to prime up to the fuel filter line when I hook up the fuel line it wont fill the carb  so I took the fuel pump out   when I looked in the hole it looks like the timing chain   is rubbed  on the front side of the timing chain  I haven't had time to pull it apart  to see    bought new chain and gears  just thought I would change the fpe at the same time  I thought if it is a two piece fpe it might have come loose  that would stop it from turning wouldn't it   the speed shop down the road  thought  that they were all the same with a 3/8 bolt  thanks jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 5:39AM
if $ is no object,

IDK if this outfit honors the specific OD to each application, they have 4 different part numbers
https://www.hipoparts.com/ford-roller-bearing-fuel-pump-eccentric-kit-w-arp-pro-series-bolt/

just doing a timing set can open a can of worms nobody saw coming with the FPE issues Angry

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 6:14AM

ShockedShockedShockedThumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 9:18AM
Not sure I would trust that snap ring.
oldgold69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgold69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 12:49PM
so what would the part number for the fuel pump eccentric  be for a 72 351 cj  I will look online for one    I saw the roller one on ebay for a 165 dollars  do you think there would be enough oil slinging on it to lube the bearings  at the rpms  they run to make it last

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 1:12PM
the Master Parts List probably has the Ford PN,

this came up in a quick search but doesn't go far, Pioneer P10-PF113/114

the Ford motorsport catalog had several with different bolt hole sizes, this / that & the other, Summit probably lists those & maybe the Pioneer too. there's also a DuraBond  FKF-6 'finishing kit'  that includes a 2piece eccentric, i haven't heard any feedback on that unit yet so i can't speak to the quality / fit etc

and i just remembered a trick several guys have used to make the 2 piece work on the replacement timing sprockets, if you add a washer between the eccentric and the sprocket the outer ring is able to rotate otherwise it gets pinched & stuck.

but i really doubt there's anything wrong with the one that's in there

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-November-2018 at 1:19PM
72 GT Ute

oldgold69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgold69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 1:26PM
thank for your help  i am learning a lot  so you put a washer to act as a spacer so it is a way from the gear so does the outer part of the eccentric spin separate from the base or does it push to make the timing gear crooked with no spacer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 1:27PM
as far as the ball bearing roller deal, people suggest all kinds of possible faults with it, mostly that the balls will escape and 'go through the motor'. there's like minimal load on the bearing, no side forces with a pretty sufficient oil supply, i doubt the assy will fail my issue with it is the $ ... and the part where the original eccentric lasts forever

remember, camshaft rpm is 1/2 crank rpm
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2018 at 2:21PM

I had a chance to check for you tonight.  The Ford part numbers are as follows:

Outer:  D0AZ 6287-A
Inner:  D0AZ 6287-B

Bolt:  3/8"-16 x 2"

It shows the same listing for the 351C-2V, 351C-4v and 351M. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2018 at 7:21AM
do you still have that window open?

there's a specific thick washer that makes the bolt length critical. i found that if you omit the eccentric the bolt bottoms in the cam just at about the same time it snugs to the timing gear tricking you into thinking everything's OK, it's not
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2018 at 2:42PM
I don't have it handy at the moment but I can check later. I do recall the 351W use a shorter bolt though.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 3:38AM
Puzzled about the Windsors having a one piece FPE????
Mine is 2 piece.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 12:29PM
could be early, what year motor?

interesting ... i wonder what the chronology / application coverage is for the various FPE's
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 1:21PM
I looked up the washer. It is C2OZ 6278-A and shows .406 ID, .225" thick.  It's listed for the 351W and 351V in the 1965-72 parts catalog and the 1972-79 catalog.

The 1965-72 parts catalog shows a one piece eccentric for the 351W, with part number

C3AZ 6287-B until February 2, 1972
D3AZ 6287-A from February 2, 1972

The 1973-79 Catalog shows the 351W with a two piece FPE.

Inner:  D5AZ 6287-B
Outer:  D0AZ 6287-A (same as 351C/M)
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply