The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front fender braces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front fender braces
    Posted: 17-November-2018 at 6:48AM
Anybody have a photo of the two front fender braces? The ones that bolt to the core support. I know the "S" shaped one then bolts to the lower corner of the fender, in front of the tire. I cant remember where the 2nd one bolts. I had a photo I took during disassembly, but now I cant find it. Im stumped.   Allen
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:29PM
There are body diagrams over here in the reference section.

What year is your car?

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2018 at 2:00PM
75 Elite. I searched several threads and forums...maybe I missed it but I can't find a good reference.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2018 at 6:34PM
i'll look on my car tomorrow... IIRC the rear of the bracket goes in to a hole at the bottom lip of the fender just ahead of the tire, and the other end of the bracket IIRC goes to the lower hole in the front lip of the fender facing forward where the corner stone guard filler mounts beside the end of the bumper...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 5:17AM
Should be two tabs on the bottom of the fender.
One is at the wheel opening, the other is near the header/bumper filler.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:28AM
I have just one tab in the center, between the front of the wheel opening and the front of the fender. I bought the car in '82 and over the years I replaced both fenders with AZ rust-free ones. They were exact replacements so I know they're correct. Elites might be different than torinos because of the elongated nose, but I know that 2nd brace is supposed to be there somewhere. Wish I could find the photo I took at disassembly. this is driving me crazy(er).
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:33AM
This is the 2nd brace. Bolts to the same point on the core support, at least according to my photos.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:53AM
so your elite only has individual braces? not a 1 piece "V" brace?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 8:36AM
Yup, 2 individual braces. Then I thought maybe they both connect to the fender at that one spot and bolt to different places on the core support. So I tried that. I cant make that work either.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 12:10PM
hmm IDK... i'll text carl, see if i can get him to check in on here he should know? he's had his elite all apart!
 you could look through his "lola" build thread see if you can find any pics of it???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 12:53PM
When I have some time I will check the Ford Parts Catalog for a diagram specific to the Elite. In the mean time, you should reach out to NorthElite. He's building an Elite right now, that will probably be one of the nicest ever. I am pretty sure he just fit his front fenders not too long ago.

His build thread is here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/northelites-1976-project_topic13493_page10.html
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 1:05PM
good idea ^^^^
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 4:15PM
I checked the build threads inc Cougar and Montego. No luck. Also checking with Northelite. By the way, here's my giant LEGO project. I swapped out the wide body moldings for ones from a Montego, but they're pretty beat up. If anybody has some of the shorter "spears" with black inserts please let me know. I'm looking for at least 2 really nice ones. Thanks Allen
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:33PM
 Clap i like it! you ditching the vinyl top?
carl said his laptop crapped out but he sent me some pics...
short rod goes to the bottom of the fender, long rod goes to the middle front of the wheelwell, both attach to the same bolt on the coresupport

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 2:18AM
Thank You!! And thank Carl for me if he doesn't see this. I would not have remembered that the straight brace attaches to the fender there.

I'm replacing the vinyl top. I like the black/red contrast. I also had the chrome trim removed down the center of the hood. Going to replicate the stripes on the Cyclone hoods in matte black to break the hood up a bit. The pinstripes replicate the originals. Just some minor changes along with the floor shift/console/buckets/and wheels.

Owned since '82. Started disassembly in 2009. Probably 2 years away from completion.   Allen
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 3:27AM
ok, i just thought it looked really good right now, clean and simple Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply