The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie - Matching Numbers & Marti Report?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968TorinoGTOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie - Matching Numbers & Marti Report?
    Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:28PM
Hi,

My name is Tracy and I'm new to the forum. I own 2 1968 Torino GT coupes and am looking at buying a 3rd one. Although I have owned them for many years and used to show one in car shows, I didn't learn until recently (from a friend of mine who has many NICE classic cars) that I need to know about matching numbers. He told me to research it online or find a tutorial, which I have NOT had much success in doing. I'm sure my friend would help more but his 93 year old mother is in the hospital and he's busy for the next few days so I don't want to bother him and he gave me this to do for my homework.

I did find out about getting a Marti Report- I called them and discussed whether to get the Basic or more advanced report and she told me the basic would probably do but now that I have that report I wonder if I should have paid more to get the better one. My friend is going with me in the next week to see the car I want to buy and he wants to check the numbers but I'm not sure exactly what numbers to check when buying a car in order to negotiate the proper price. Will I just be checking the engine or lots of other things too like the transmission, differential, etc. and if so what all should be checked and WHERE do I find each of those numbers on a 1968 Torino GT coupe?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Tracy
Tracy (1968 Torino GT Owner)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2018 at 7:47PM
welcome!
 marti report should tell you most of the info and should have a image of the door tag which will also tell you the trans and rear axle codes...
 others maybe able to comment more
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 12:11PM
Welcome to the Forum Tracy! The Marti report will give you most of your basic information.  Most Fords from this era don't have a partial VIN stamped on the engine and transmission. However, you can check the casting dates to see if they line up with the car's build date, which you will have on the Marti Report. 

Here is some information on casting dates and how to decode them:

More info here:

What engine does this car have?  That would determine where the casting dates are on the block.  Obviously if you find the engine or transmission has a date after the build date, then they are not original to the car.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 19-November-2018 at 12:54PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply