The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

69 428 carburetor and date code questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farqs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 428 carburetor and date code questions
    Posted: 19-November-2018 at 6:52AM
Hello-

The torino that I purchased this past summer is a 69 R-Code 4 speed. Over time, I want to get the whole car as close as possible to date code correct... That being said, I am making a parts inventory so I can start looking for and assembling parts. The car drives now, so the restoration will take place over time... The car is a January 10, 1969 car and I have a couple of things that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1- What is the general guideline when matching dates on parts to the actual date of the car? Would be a couple of months? Being such an early 1969 car, what would be acceptable date stamps?

2- I am looking for a correct carb... I know it's a Holley 735, but I am a little confused with the part number for a 4-speed as the only part number I can find for a 1968 428 carb seems to be for an automatic (ID# - C8OF, part#- C8OZ9510AB). The part number C8OZ9510C seems to only be for 390-ci engines... I have found some on ebay but I feel like some sellers aren't sure what the application is for the carb they're selling and I want to be 100% sure as it is a pretty big purchase... Can anyone help me out with the correct numbers for this particular carb?

As you can most likely tell, I'm pretty new to this! But I am in love with this car! Any help on the above would be great! I will post some pics soon... Thank you! Bryan
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 7:32AM
"My Censored brother bought her back in September '57. That's when you got your new model year, in September. Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world ... " ~ George LeBay

9A10, or Jan 1, 1969 isn't that early of a build date for a 1969 model year car.

we just had a 351C block casting date posted on the Cleveland's Forever fb page, the first week in July of 1971 for a D2 block. at least 2 months before the cars would be available for purchase in the dealerships but this is unusually early. normal is not much more than a month maximum before the buck date or actual build date of the car. in this case i wouldn't go much earlier than Dec 1, 1968 or 8M1. getting into November 1968 or 8L2x would pushing it yet still possible especially for a carb that my sit waiting for a specific build. and carb date tags are coded differently with changes to the coding at certain dates. carb date codes / tags can be very hard to find info on depending on the carb & date

have you seen this page? i'm going with C9AF-9510-M

http://www.mustangtek.com/4150/holley4150.html
72 GT Ute

farqs29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farqs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 11:57AM
Thanks for the response and the help!... I had no clue it was a month or two at most for date correct...

Thanks for sending the website...I had seen that website before, but when I looked at the C9AF-9510-M part number in the past, I didn't think a carb date in year 1969 would be correct because of the January 1969 build date. I then looked at the 68 #'s and saw that the C8OF-9510-AA only applied to 428CJ Mustangs and Cougars (the 69 part you referenced had Torinos also as an application) but then thought maybe they left the Torino off the list on accident?

Here's another question, hopefully it's not stupid - could a C9AF-9510-M carb come with a December 1968 date stamp?

Thanks!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 12:06PM
Yes, the C9AF-9510-M carb could be on a car with a December 1968 build date.  The C9 refers to the model year, not the not the build date of the part.  So for example, most parts specific to a 1972 Torino, which was new for 1972, had D2 a the beginning of the parts it used, even if the car was built in 1971.
There is  lots of info for 428CJ's out there, but most of it will be on Mustang sites. Check out his info here on detailing a 428:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
farqs29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farqs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 3:37AM
This is great info! Thanks for sharing
farqs29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farqs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 6:25AM
Hopefully this works...here are some pics of my 69 429 CJ. The original color was Brittany Blue and I will eventually bring that back. Drivetrain is original, but obviously not the correct air cleaner, carb, distributor etc. If anyone has any thoughts on some good parts guys, let me know as I'm in the market!! Thanks
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 5:39PM
Thumbs Upvery nice!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2018 at 12:17AM
That is very nice!  I bet it moves out okay too. Is your plan to bring it back to 100% factory correct?

Edited by 72FordGTS - 21-November-2018 at 12:52AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
farqs29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farqs29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2018 at 5:36AM
Thanks. Yup that’s the plan over time... It drives now so just enjoying it while I start assembling some parts
tyfaciane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyfaciane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2019 at 11:57AM

Im restoring a 69 R-Code GT
68 Mustang 390GT Coupe - Project
69 Torino GT 428CJ Fastback - Project
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 2:31PM
QUOTE=farqs29]Hopefully this works...here are some pics of my 69 429 CJ. The original color was Brittany Blue and I will eventually bring that back. Drivetrain is original, but obviously not the correct air cleaner, carb, distributor etc. If anyone has any thoughts on some good parts guys, let me know as I'm in the market!! Thanks[/QUOTE]

Nice Ride.  I've got a '69 GT Formal 351 2V.  This guy specializes in parts for the 68-71 mostly:

Also check out torinocobra.com forum if you haven't already.  Lots of 68-71 guys there.
 Post Reply Post Reply