The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bodywork Torino 72

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zawit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bodywork Torino 72
    Posted: 26-November-2018 at 9:13PM
Hi Folks,

I though Id upload a few pictures of my Torino to show the state of the body. The body itself has been sandblasted to remove the paint, rust etc.

After the blasting we saw that the whole structure of the body looks a bit like swiss cheese ;-). What are the chances in aquiring new/used/aftermarket parts for the bodywork? We´re not looking for simple parts like the sheet metal etc. The problem is the frame of the roof, firewall etc. Are there frame parts available for the Torino?

I hope to get some honest answers and a big thanks to anyone that replies.

Regards

Ben

jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2018 at 5:53AM
Shockedwow , I have had parts cars that looked better than that .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2018 at 10:45AM
Eek! Swiss cheese indeed! The parts are out there, mostly cut from guys who have parts cars. Others will chime in here soon!

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2018 at 2:44PM
Needs lots of love, but it can be done. Good luck

Tschus
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2018 at 12:09PM
No one reproduces any of that structural metal on the car.  You'd have to find someone willing to cut up a car with good metal and send it to you, although that might be expensive due to your location.  Otherwise, you'd have to cut and fabricate patches to fix those parts.
There is some sheetmetal available, like 1/4 panel skins, but no trunk floors that I am aware of.  You'd have to make a patch for the trunk and the floor area under the rear seat.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2018 at 12:38PM
Seeing that he is from Germany, I can understand why he would have snagged this!!
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Zawit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zawit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 7:04PM
Hi...phew..what a work week. Just found the time to sit down and get on the net ;-).

Thanks for all of the replies. We knew that the body wasnt in a good shape but the other parts (engine, brakes etc.) compensated it.

Im still deciding about repairing the body or buying a new one. Slowly but surely I think Im gonna have to buy a new one. ;-)
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 7:01AM
Would try and find a southwestern body and frame if I were you. Desert Valley and Hidden Valley in Arizona are two places to check. Neither will be inexpensive. I did cut some perfect Quarters off a car in the El Paso U pull eight or so years ago. They had three 72-73 formal coupes in a short window of time. All are crushed and gone now.
 Post Reply Post Reply