The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy suspension LCA bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy suspension LCA bushings
    Posted: 03-December-2018 at 2:41PM
I am installing new energy suspension front bushings (kit#4.3111g) on the 73 GTS and I'm not really impressed with the design of the lower control arm bushing. I left the outer shell in place as required! The bushing presses in relatively easy but once in place, there is nothing to restrict the control arm from sliding back and forth on the bushing like the factory style does. I guess maybe the strut rod is supposed to hold it centered? Did anyone else notice this or am I the only one? Maybe Im too picky but I don't like it.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2018 at 5:34PM
hmmm i've had mine in there for about 5 years now no issues. IIRC the shoulder side of the bushing should be facing rearward i believe?? yes i think the strut rod does support it for and aft
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Fordman428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 5:16AM
The way my factory ones were installed the sleeves were forward on one side and back on the others, the poly bushings only go in the sleeve one way. I just don’t like how the factory bushing allows little to no fore and aft movement vs the poly 1/4 inch plus. I’m sure it works fine but it really doesn’t look right.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 1:31PM

Only the upper bushings differ, the lowers are the same no matter what the build date. 

While the strut rod does stabilize, 1/4" does seem like a lot of play.  I used rubber lower bushings in my car and I don't remember and significant play.  I remember for the energy suspension rear control arms bushings they have little rings that go between the bushing and the mount that is supposed to keep the bushing tight.  Does the front kit have these rings?

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 1:38PM
I have a rear set to install also and they have the little rings. Nothing like that for the front and if there was , there is nothing for them to ride against on the control arm.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 1:41PM

I don't know then, it does seem like a lot of play to me.  Maybe CaliforniaJohnny can advise if his install had that much play or not?  If you aren't comfortable with it, use rubber bushings for the lower arm.  They are still readily available.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 3:00PM
i was going to mention the rings on the rear... those confused me at first! no the fronts don't have anything like that! i'll look under my car and see for sure how the bushings are facing...

when you say a 1/4" movement, are the arms sliding around on the bushings in the shell? or the arm flexes at the end?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 3:43PM
The control arm and shell will move fore and aft on the bushing as there is nothing to stop it. This is without the strut rod in place but still seems off to me. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2018 at 5:46PM
ok, i looked under my car... the drivers side arm has the shoulder edge of the bushing on the front side and the passenger side bushing has the shoulder side to the rear!
 i did notice the drivers side arm was back from the shoulder maybe about 1/16" (could have been from jacking it up??) but so far all works well for about 3,000 miles driving over the last 5 years!!!
 with the bushing in the arm all the way... there should be some resistance as you put the inner sleeve into the bushing, basically enough that it can be drawn into the bushing by squeezing it in with a vise Wink if that makes sense? also check if your original sleeve fits better than theirs? IIRC i had to reuse a couple original sleeves on my vette i think? i have poly bushings in most of my cars Wink
 the strut rod will keep the arm located as most of the working forces are outward from the spring and strut rod ...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2018 at 7:58AM
Thanks for going out and looking under your car, I really appreciate that. Sounds like your sleeves are in exactly how mine were, I wonder why they did that? The factory inner sleeve was way looser on the lower arms. I’m sure it would work fine just like yours do but that just isn’t right in my mind. I just ordered some Moog replacements for the lowers and will use the rest of the poly kit in the upper arms. Thanks again everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply