The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor pans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor pans
    Posted: 07-December-2018 at 5:14AM
I have found a possible floor pan donor for the 73 GTS. It is a 1978 thunderbird. According to all the searching I have done on this site it should be a match. My question to anyone who knows is , what are the differences if any in the newer pans? I wonder if all the lines and humps and bumps are all the same. I didn’t plan on using the whole floor so it would be nice if everything is close to the same.

Thanks
Ken
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 5:31AM
I believe they're the same.  I'll be under My bird this weekend(79), I'll try to get some pics.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 6:34AM
you can get repro pans now for these cars, not sure i'd mess with trying to use used ones unless they were absolutely mint and dirt cheap.
Fordman428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 7:12AM
My understanding from reading this forum is that the aftermarket floor parts are really bad quality and don’t even come close to matching. Has anyone had a better experience with them?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 10:37AM
We brought in floor pans by the pallet at Keystone. Mostly Mustang and Ford pickups. They were never returned. Not sure what they are like in modern times.
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 2:15PM
I would believe that repro pans that are not that great fitment wise would still be better than any other solution you might have, such as making a pan of your own...
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 2:27PM
yes the bird pans are the same. the aftermarket pan sections i got for mine were not worth it, but from what i understand there's a company now making stamped pans... not sure how the fit is?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 2:58PM
Just out of curiosity or maybe ignorance, if the after market pans are sh*tty and not worth the trouble, what is the alternative?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 6:44PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. The alternative for me is driving a long ways tomorrow to look at a Thunderbird with hopefully rot free floors. I only have one experience with repop floor pans on a 1975 f-250. I put them in but was not happy with the fit or the end result. Looking at the pictures of the aftermarket pans available doesn't give me much confidence they will be much better. I'm gonna spend about the same for either option so I'm gonna give the original stuff a go. I have been trying to ignore my rotten floor pans for the last couple years and they finally got to me, I can't put it back together until they are fixed.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 7:12PM
marc, i'm referring to the pans you see on ebay, can't remember the name but they are just bent in a brake not stamped! but from what i'm told there's a company that is now making stamped pans? C to C or something like that... not sure how they fit?
 also on here somewhere there's info about using 65 mustang pans
 FWIW if the bird pans are junk... i have a nice full pan in a car still that i'm parting out, and i'm only about an hour from you!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 3:20AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

marc, i'm referring to the pans you see on ebay, can't remember the name but they are just bent in a brake not stamped! but from what i'm told there's a company that is now making stamped pans? C to C or something like that... not sure how they fit?
 also on here somewhere there's info about using 65 mustang pans
 FWIW if the bird pans are junk... i have a nice full pan in a car still that i'm parting out, and i'm only about an hour from you!!!

hows the trunk pan? Thats what I wish they'd reproduce for our cars.
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 3:42AM
Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Just out of curiosity or maybe ignorance, if the after market pans are sh*tty and not worth the trouble, what is the alternative?

There were (past tense) a good supply of donor cars in the southwest with clean bodies. The scrap run up in the mid - late 00's ended much of that supply. Of course there are still suppliers willing to cut out and ship (desert valley comes to mind) but it is not cheap anymore.   
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 5:35AM
If you are still looking at the Tbird pan, it will work and match fine with the difference being in the trunk floor, due to relocated gas filler neck.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 7:00AM
bob, on mine? i think it had some spots starting to rust??? this orange car is nice from the doors forward, had a poor vinyl repair  (hack) job that caused it to leak in the rearCry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 5:45PM
I called Desert Valley about floor pans because I was going to be down there in January. They sell the pans in quarters at $199 each so that would be $800 plus shipping.

I picked up the t-bird today and the floor pans look pretty solid, hopefully there are no hidden surprises.
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 5:51PM
If those T-Bird pans don't "pan-out" I have a 73 montego...I think the pans are good.........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 7:26PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

If those T-Bird pans don't "pan-out" I have a 73 montego...I think the pans are good.........

Pun intended! Thanks, I'll get a better look soon. There is a guy from Vancouver Canada who always has an ad looking for 72 Montego parts that I see on my Seattle search if you are looking to get rid of some parts.
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 10:29PM
I'm still looking for a driver's side front pan from the seat support on, including at least the toeboard of the firewall.
Just saying. Embarrassed

And as far as those aftermarket pans, unless you can find what John was referring to I would avoid the new bent pieces of junk that most are selling for our cars. I am NOT a metalworker in the least, and I could do better. Now, Mustangs are no problems, can get a whole stamped floor or just about any piece you need. Not even expensive.

ETA, here is the C2C pan. I'm not that impressed, would prefer an original used piece, but might have to try to use it.
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 08-December-2018 at 11:18PM
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 11:04PM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

ETA, here is the C2C pan. I'm not that impressed, would prefer and original used piece, but might have to try to use it.
Russ

These floor pans are incompatible and total sh*t. I just wonder how they can even sold these with name Torino. You can buy same sheet metal plate from hardware store.

Yes. I have one set. I hate being cheated AngryAngryAngry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2018 at 11:17PM
But tell us how you really feel. LOL

Yeah, not worth the money at all to me. Even if free.

Starting to think I am going to have to buy a full used pan just to get the section I need. Which would not be good, since I already have one I bought that is only missing the one section. I didn't think it would be so hard to find someone selling it by itself.
Still, 4/5ths of a pan is better than what I have in the car right now.

We bought a cheap plasma cutter because my wife wanted to play with one. Might give it a go on the Ranchero floor.

Russ

NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 12:23AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

But tell us how you really feel. LOL

Embarrassed Sorry

LOLLOLLOL
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 3:57AM
Has anyone looked at Crown Vic floorpans?
Cars are the same size, frames are similar...
I know a couple threads here talk about doing a whole floor/CV frame swap to install mod motors, but might also work as patch panels.
And there's millions and millions of them.

Just looked at the C2C pans....
What crap.
Better off with a sheet of metal, a brake and a bead roller.

Edited by Big Bird - 09-December-2018 at 4:00AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 4:10AM
wasn't it someone on here that used early mustang floor pans as well?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 4:24AM
yeah i just looked at their rear pan sections... those aren't stamped as i was told they are the same crap i bought for my car from off ebay just bent in a brake Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 5:53PM
That Crown Vic idea is interesting.
Have to see if I could get a floor pan cheap to check it out.
Thanks,
Russ
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 11:01AM
For those that forgot, or didn't follow....here's the build that has been going on with a CV frame and floor.......

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/72-gts-cvpi-frame-coyote-swap_topic15882.html

Dave

Edited by hogfiddles - 10-December-2018 at 11:04AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 3:17PM
They are putting a complete pan and frame under a torino, we were considering cutting patch panel/partial pans out of a CV. Both are roughly the same size, with a channeled frame...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 3:34PM
Yeah, I know......but the point is that now you can see what the CV floor is, and get a better idea of what you'll need to do
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 7:21PM
T-bird pans look pretty solid.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 7:35PM
yeah those look really good! the rust stains there are probably from wet carpet from a window left down...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>