The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limited slip differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limited slip differential
    Posted: 09-December-2018 at 11:25AM
I am guessing my 9' rear end has a 31 spline. Can some one please help me figure out what rear end I have. 73 gran Torino
Mark
Markb73gtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 11:26AM
I plan to install a new limited slip diff
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 12:16PM
  If it still has a tag AND the rear assembly is basically untouched, this link may help with the 28 vs 31 spline question: http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
It is still best to open it up to verify what you have, may have had a few "mods" since it left the factory. Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
qcode72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 12:19PM
Look for a tag on front of diff,or pull an axle then count spines.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 1:01PM
if it still has the tag, it probably hasn't been messed with as most people don't bother to put it back on Confused more than likely it has a 28 spline, pull an axle an count them, then you'll know. also is it a 9"? not an 8"??? ( 8" has a curved rear housing) 9" is curved but with an expanded section in the rear for the bigger ring gear to fit Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 1:07PM
an 8in all the bolts are easy to get at on a 9 one or two are not
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 1:08PM
Is the sticker on the door jamb? It will tell you what it came with from the factory. Or look here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 1:09PM
My tag is at 11 o'clock. Can't see it in this pic. Sorry about that.
ETA: The bottom can be seen.

Edited by handsofstone - 09-December-2018 at 1:10PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 2:26PM
Thanks everyone, pretty sure it is a 9", I was reading that the 73 model year had the 9". Anyway, I will let you know what I find out. Merry Christmas to all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 2:43PM
The 9" pinion won't let you get a socket on the two nuts at the bottom and will destroy your fingers if they are in the way during installation.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 2:54PM
All 1972 and newer Torinos had 28 spline axles from the factory.  But check the tag in case it was swapped over the years.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2018 at 11:09PM
Everyone has been very helpful. I will let you know what I find, also the install does not look too tough. From what I am reading if the ratios are the same the new limited slip should bolt right on. Thanks again!
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 1:42AM
I am looking at many choices for a limited slip diff, does anyone recommend or not recommend a particular brand. I was considering the Yukon brand. Looking forward to your advice.
Mark
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 3:28AM
i added a yukon one to my blazer... no issues Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 6:39AM
I put an Eaton Tru-Trac in my 72GTS and I love it.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 2:21PM
ratio has little to nothing to do with it, GM uses different carrier housings for different ratios but Ford doesn't. in the Ford 9" there are 2 basic carriers for open differential and Trac-Loc units. the 2 main factors to pay attention to are the axle spline count and the pinion flange. are you planning to replace the entire 3rd member complete or just retro-fit yours with a upgraded center section? 
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 12:45PM
I have the 28 spline axles and a rebuilt clutch style differential out of a late 70s lincoln.  I know I could break it if I tried but I only run the R-comps at Auto-x and never fully launch the car. If I had to do it over I would probably find the strongest helical style differential and stick to the 28 spline axles. I don't think the axles are the weak link especially when the torque is distributed to both wheels with something like a helical setup and a low final drive is used.
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 2:39PM
Thanks guys, I am planning to replace the center section, but since you mentioned it to rebiuld the carrier seems like it may be easier. This is all new territory for me so I am learning as I go. The bottom line is I want power to both wheels. The helical differential seems like a good idea. I really appreciate all the help.
Marl
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2018 at 3:35AM
looks like Torsen only does a 31 spline unit for 9", so factor in complete axle & bearing assy's to the budget ... and they may not be rebuildable?

last i heard Auburn unit's are disposable but they do a 28 spline

72 GT Ute

Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2018 at 5:49PM
The stock clutch style (ford trac-loc?) type are affordable and work great for mild performance applications. Had em in pickups and a bronco, and they work and are easy to rebuild when they don't. I will be upgrading to a Yukon limited slip center and 31 spline axles on my car. I wanted a helical, but i got a smokin deal on the Yukon. And i wanted 31's as I have twisted 28's before, on my dirt track street stock back in the day, so there is that. But if you run street tires they should act as the fuse somewhat. I don't know how Billy gets away with it with that beast of his Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 12:18PM
Thanks Ron and all,
I confirmed my rear is a 9 inch today, it still had the tag on the diff, however is rusty so I am deciphering it now. So the 28 vs 31 spline is still unknown.
Mark
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 12:48PM
here's where i got mine for my torino...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-9-INCH-TRAC-LOCK-POSI-TRAC-LSD-NEW-4-SPIDER-28-SPL-MUSTANG-SUPER-SALE/153052133427?hash=item23a29e3833:g:yAkAAOSwft9axT0N:rk:8:pf:0

not a bad deal IIRC i paid $331 for mine a few years ago  ( they also have a 31 spline too)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 1:30PM
Originally posted by Markb73gtorino Markb73gtorino wrote:

Thanks Ron and all,
I confirmed my rear is a 9 inch today, it still had the tag on the diff, however is rusty so I am deciphering it now. So the 28 vs 31 spline is still unknown.
Mark

Try some sand cloth on both sides. It may tell you what it is. Mine was hard to read until I sanded it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 1:43PM
That is what I am doing. I painted it and now I will stand it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 1:44PM
Sand it*
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2018 at 6:34PM
31 spline will have 3 holes in the end of the axle, 28 splines will have a oval-ish slot in the end of the axle. These cars all had 28 spline axles from the factory, both 8" and 9" used the same axles.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 2:19AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

31 spline will have 3 holes in the end of the axle, 28 splines will have a oval-ish slot in the end of the axle. These cars all had 28 spline axles from the factory, both 8" and 9" used the same axles.

I was burned a couple times using the 3 hole I.D. method, both sets of axles I had were 3 hole versions and only one set had 31 splines. Here is a link to Vince's (72FordGTS) work on his Torino's rear axle assembly a few years back, he verified the "deception" : http://forum.grantorinosport.org/rear-axle-questions_topic9149.html
 Two words to(at least for me) avoid when working on a Ford, never and always, unless of course you have Nomex underwear on Embarrassed.

Edited by aquartlow - 16-December-2018 at 2:24AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 3:41AM
Are there any oem 31 spline drop ins for a big tapered bearing style axle housing? Don't mean to high-jack the thread.

In fact, there should be a thread of the different swap options like with the front hub/rotor madness. There are three housings that are a direct bolt on for the Torino.

What 31s drop into the small ball bearing housing?

What 31s drop into the small taper bearing housing?

What 31s drop into the large taper bearing housing?

I've had all 3 in 28 spline at some point or another but I'm not sure if I ever took measurements. Maybe I have pictures.

Originally posted by Rons73 Rons73 wrote:

The stock clutch style (ford trac-loc?) type are affordable and work great for mild performance applications. Had em in pickups and a bronco, and they work and are easy to rebuild when they don't. I will be upgrading to a Yukon limited slip center and 31 spline axles on my car. I wanted a helical, but i got a smokin deal on the Yukon. And i wanted 31's as I have twisted 28's before, on my dirt track street stock back in the day, so there is that. But if you run street tires they should act as the fuse somewhat. I don't know how Billy gets away with it with that beast of his Shocked

I think I can get away with it because I run a 3.25 or maybe its a 3.50. I can't remember, but it kind of works out like this...

~600ft/lbs (built bb) * 2.87 (TKO 1st) * 3.25 (final drive) = ~5500ft/lbs

~450ft/lbs (build sb) * 2.87 (TKO 1st) * 4.11 (final drive) = ~5300ft/lbs

Those two setups have pretty similar potential to break axles and difs and I'm sure tons of folks are running the second one with 28 spline axles. Maybe 450ft/lbs is generous for a small block. I don't know.

-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 12:48PM
I covered off the different rear bearings in this post here:

I didn't cover off housing differences though.

The 3 hole thing isn't always true like Todd says.  My car has the 1972 axles that were replaced under the recall in 1972.  They are 28 spline and have 3 holes in the centre of the axles.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 16-December-2018 at 12:48PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 1:10PM
So I was able to read the tag on my Diff and my torino has a 9' rear end with a 2.75 ratio and a 28 spline. Thanks all for the help. After I finish the steering rebuild the diff is next
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>