The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limited slip differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 2:13PM
Same one in mine.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 2:14PM
I am not looking to race or beat my car so the one wheel peel is fine by me.
Markb73gtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2018 at 2:22PM
Thanks brother
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2018 at 6:42PM
Mark are you planning to change the gear ratio as well? As far as the "seat of the pants" meter goes, changing to steeper gears gives a high smiles to dollars ratio. I cannot remember what you had planned, but a fun weekend toy scenario would have me running an inexpensive trac-loc with gears in the range of 3.7-4.11. A bit hard on tires Wink and highway travel is less fun, but it depends on what you want to do. With your automatic trans, it would be safe to keep the 28 splined axles, putting the money into the locker and gears.  Now if you were dropping the clutch at 5000 rpm into some sticky slicks...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2018 at 12:55AM
Ron, I would like to change the ratio. When I bolt in the new diff I will be doing this for the first time. There are a number of choices out there. Is Trac loc a good choice. In the long run I want my Torino to be a hot rod with in reason. After the rear end is done I will start work on the motor. 4bl, headers etc. Who would you buy your trac liv from?
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2018 at 4:07PM
Mark, I mention the trac-loc as they are the stock Ford limited slip diff, and are generally inexpensive and readily available. CaliforniaJohnny put up an ebay link, but members in your neck of the woods might have favorite vendors. I do not get to enjoy the parts availability and variety as easily as you guys do. Plus I think the exchange rate is somewhere around $1 US to $500 Cdn lol. Hence I tend to do things on the cheaper side. There are better units out there, Billy C mentioned a helical geared unit if he was looking for better as well. Give us an idea of your budget and usage and we can fine tune suggestions a bit.
For example - I am going to guess you want a peppy, fun car, but like all of us, have to watch how we spend what we make. Perhaps a few passes down a strip for fun, occasionally leaving a little rubber on the street, and only fueling up every third gas station. A trac-loc fills the bill. 3.25 or 3.5 rear axle gears will make you think you have 75 extra cubes up front, and keeps the rpms reasonable on the freeway.
If you want to do more aggressive activities, let the gurus here know and they will happily help out.
I love your car btw.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2018 at 4:52PM
ron, it' says blain, wa. in the link but they are in B.C.!!! they drove mine across the border into blain and shipped if off to avoid the customs B.S.Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2018 at 5:36PM
LoL gotta love ebay. Maybe my world is a bit bigger than i thought???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2018 at 10:15PM
Ron, yes you hit the nail on the head. I want my car to be the wolf in sheeps clothing. I think the tracloc is a very good option. An entire third member is around 800 and I have my second son heading off to college next fall. My boys spend most of the money my darling wife and I have. If I was going to go full on hot rod for the drag strip I think the new third member is the way to go. My current third member has a leak at the point where just before the U joint attaches so I will be putting in a new seal there as well. Looks like new bearings will be needed for the trac loc as well as as axle seals. Let me know if there is anything else I am forgetting. I am blessed in the fact that my 73 sedan has no rust. More to follow gentlemen. Have a Merry Christmas.
Mark
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2018 at 4:48PM
I think you would be happy with the 3.5 gears, but that is just my opinion. You shouldn't need a new third member unless something is broken inside (pinion support casting can break with abuse but unlikely in your case) so I wouldn't look at replacing yours. You will get all the seals, bearings and shims for the center section in a ring and pinion install kit. Have a look at Summit racing or Jegs online and they will show what I mean. I cannot remember if you mentioned leaks at the axles, usually for the 9 inch axles you can get an axle seal kit that also includes the bearing and lock sleeve/retainer. These are a bear to do properly if you have not had previous experience. Take em to a shop unless there is someone close who can help. When I was a Ford tech we had a press and some jigs/pullers and it was easy.  I won't tell you how I do them now, I'll just suggest you take em to a shop.  If they are not leaking I would leave em alone unless it will keep you up at night. Again, just my opinion. Anyone else got some suggestions? Merry Christmas!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2018 at 7:18PM
hmm, does it involve a 4 foot length of 1 1/2" pipe???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2018 at 5:21AM
1st question is if Mark is comfortable setting pinion and carrier bearing preload in inch-lbs?

most Homer J. Homers are not equipped or experienced enough to attempt and successfully stick a complete 3rd member overhaul with gear change ... go for the complete assembled unit with a warranty ;)

when the time comes, 1st step get the axles out & run them over to the local transmission or full sevice parts house that presses bearings and they'll be ready to install when you need them ;) ;)
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2018 at 7:03AM
All good points, I am considering buying a press for the bearing install, but the complete 3rd member is attractive. In the long run the costs may be similar. I rebuilt a Dana 44 front diff on a 95 Bronco and it went ok. Not to intimidated but very cautious none the less. The pinion on my torino leaks as well so it looks like.more than just a new LSD . Thanks for the advice. A new 3rd member is around 900 bucks from what I have seen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2018 at 9:58AM
start scouting shops in the area, get word of mouth feedback, there are rock stars and rip-offs in any industry.

nothing's getting cheaper but i'd hope you could get the whole thing done including axle bearings for that much? and if you have the shop do the R&R labor that's a double bonus CYA

you're familiar with inch-lb bearing preload? i had to buy an in-lb tq wrench from an on-line bicycle shop to set up my manual steering gear sector shaft, and use duck tape to fill a socket to turn the splined shaft. IDK how i'd rig up to set the carrier side adjusters? specialized tools are a beautiful thing

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2018 at 11:05PM
I am not familiar with an inch pound bearing preload. I know the Harbor freight sells relatively in expensive presses that I have seen in videos used to press bearings. The nice thing about the 3rd member replacement is off with the old, on with the new. Once I have the rearend apart and the old Diff out it looks to be a fairly simple re-install. The 9" has adjusting nuts instead of shims so that is really cool. The toughest part to me looks to be getting the 3rd member back on. I may remove the entire rearend just for easier access. Then replacing bushings and such is fairly simple in the rear arms that attach the 9" to the car. No matter what I am in over my head, but there is no other way to learn and get better. After I retire from the Army I want to build cars . Thanks for all of the support.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 3:05AM
I bought a harbor freight press for when i do my control arm bushings and differential. Ended up just doing a reseal on the rear. If you get the press, buy the heavy plates that will let you press the new bearings on. Wear glasses and stand off to the side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 3:09AM
Sounda like very good advice. I may just get a new 3rd member and call it good. I always need more tools so setting up my garage with what I need first may be the right call before I dig into a project like this. Thanks again
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 4:31AM
Maaayyybeee....Wink
I believe there is threaded rod, scrap metal, and a BFH too.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 12:06PM
Originally posted by Rons73 Rons73 wrote:

Maaayyybeee....Wink
I believe there is threaded rod, scrap metal, and a BFH too.
Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 2:14PM
Thanks again, also if I leave the ratio at 2.75, where it is now, and install a LSD, then the job would be easier. Food for thought I guess
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2018 at 4:36PM
that's what i did on my torino... i had 2.75's that were good, so i had my differential guy set them up on the new LSD with new bearings and seals, and new bearings on the original axles ( then i swapped housings to the lincoln mark 5 with rear discs using the lincoln axles and bearings  and housing then just placed my 3rd member section into it after the swap)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2018 at 1:48AM
I am leaning that way so I can learn to crawl before I walk or run. For me I see it like I am in school, you guys and the internet are the teachers and my Torino is the class/homework.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2018 at 3:46AM
2.75:1 gears Censored Censored Censored

been there done that

in one day i got passed by the street sweeper, ice cream truck, a little girl on a tricycle and a man with a cane

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2018 at 8:06AM
LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2018 at 11:11AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

been there done that

in one day i got passed by the street sweeper, ice cream truck, a little girl on a tricycle and a man with a cane

That's it???
You must live in a small town.
A VERY small town.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2018 at 11:51AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

been there done that

That's it???
You must live in a small town.
A VERY small town.
LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2018 at 2:51PM
it was, until it wasn't

as i recall the old man with the cane got me a 2nd time at the light

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2018 at 3:08PM
You guys are funny
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2018 at 3:30PM

it was, until it wasn't

as i recall the old man with the cane got me a 2nd time at the light

"2nd time" what you didn't learn the first time? or were you guys racing for double or nothing $$$ ???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2018 at 1:08PM
Pinks...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>