The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Paint?
    Posted: 10-December-2018 at 5:02PM
So I'm at a point where I need to decide how I'd like to paint my car. 

First of all the reason it needs it is because the hood and trunk don't match the rest of the car and I'm getting tired of it. They are close, but you can tell in most lighting, especially in daylight at car shows. 

Second I don't really like the way the car is set up. It's all original with the vinyl roof and side body molding, but I feel it's dated and boring. Normally I like all original, but if I keep all the trim, it could always be put back on. 

I asked the question at work today and one guy said, "Would the car be worth more or be easier to sell if it was all original looking or more with a fresh more eye catching look? I answered that I thought given the type of car it is and it being not one of the more collectable models, that a fresh look would certainly draw more interest. 

I really like what Casey and others have done with their cars. I would keep mine Gold, but get rid of the vinyl roof and side body trim. Not sure about any graphics, but that could be cool too.  
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 5:18PM
i agree with ditching the wide side trim and the vinyl top Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 1:12AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i agree with ditching the wide side trim and the vinyl top Wink

Well I've had the car 10 years now, well in 2019 will be 10...Perhaps it's time for a change!
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 6:07AM
the wide trim helps tie in the bumper

maybe anodize it a complimentary or contrasting shade, copper plate?

ghost flames, true fire? https://www.killerpaint.com/
72 GT Ute

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 8:16AM
There used to be a way to do a Poll on here where everyone could vote. It may still be on here, but that might be a fun way to get responses and then go from there. I sorta like your car the way it is and the "retro-going back in time" photos you have taken were pretty cool too. Good luck!  
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 8:57AM
Keep the Trim , Lose the  top ,  Muscle cars don't need vinyl,  But the molding is unique to Gran Torino IMO
albos73gts
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 9:21AM
Originally posted by albo74 albo74 wrote:

Keep the Trim , Lose the  top ,  Muscle cars don't need vinyl,  But the molding is unique to Gran Torino IMO

So if you get rid of the vinyl, for a "Formal Roof" car like mine, it seems the chrome goes from the front bottom of the window up and over the top and stops. What's used to cap the chrome piece at the stop? Anyone got a picture of how it ends?

Also if I ditch the vinyl what about my Brougham badge behind the side windows? Probably look strange without the vinyl top.

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 11:55AM
Any pics?
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 12:20PM
This is what the car looks like now. I did a quick photoshop taking the vinyl roof out and it looks ok. I'll load that one later. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 12:46PM
I usually don't like vinyl tops but your car looks good with one. It goes nicely with the dark paint on the lower part of the car. I'd like to see the photo shop without.

You could also eliminate the trim and add a laser stripe. That might work with or without the vinyl top.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 12:58PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I usually don't like vinyl tops but your car looks good with one. It goes nicely with the dark paint on the lower part of the car. I'd like to see the photo shop without.

You could also eliminate the trim and add a laser stripe. That might work with or without the vinyl top.

I was thinking along the same lines. Here's a picture of the quick photoshop hack job I did taking off the roof. I like the idea of having laser style stripe made and putting it in the body line like Casey did with black. I'd do the brown into yellow (gold) and redo the lower brown on my car to just a couple of inches instead of the whole lower section. 

I'm going to try a photoshop of the whole scheme later. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 2:47PM
that's a damn good photoshop! color and lighting is perfect looks real to me!
 the drip rail is closed at the end about 3/4" past the window... easiest thing is to cut and carefilly bend the edge in, or swap drip rails from a 2dr hard top
 brougham emblems... just a couple holes to weld shut Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 2:57PM
It looks good either way. Plus, the wheels are sweet.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 12:55AM
Right now I am having the vinyl top pull off my 72 Chevelle  I have resisted all these years because it was factory green , boy does it look good just off!  Opera windows were only available with vinyl  tops. Late 70's early 80s' I had the white top removed  from my 74 sport to repair some body damage and never wanted it back , Did add some pin stripping   and deleted the sail badging  moved Sport onto the fenders  That was my daily driver most all of the big 80s  

Edited by albo74 - 12-December-2018 at 12:59AM
albos73gts
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 1:19AM
Nice. Thumbs Up Is the bike a CB750?  Early to mid '70s?
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 3:21AM
Thanks for all the input so far. It's been great for ideas and in the decision making process. Albo74 had a great idea about relocating a badge to the front fender below the Gran Torino...after seeing that I'm like "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Anyway, no luck with the further photoshop picture. I tried to rush it yesterday because I had to grill some chicken for dinner and it looked terrible.  

- Update: Made an appointment at a Custom Paint shop for tomorrow to get an estimate.

Edited by Uante - 12-December-2018 at 8:04AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 8:53AM
It seems if I delete the vinyl roof, I'll have to get a set of side Window Rain Drip Trim pieces. From what I could tell, they terminate just above the AFT edge of the rear side window. Can anyone verify this or does anyone have a set?
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 3:31PM
More Photoshop. btw, Thanks Johnny, just don't look too closely lol 

Before 

After Trim and Top Removal (PS) 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 3:46PM
If you remove the vynil you definitely need to add something else to break up allow that color.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 5:00PM
Originally posted by ZCowher ZCowher wrote:

If you remove the vynil you definitely need to add something else to break up allow that color.

Agreed...way to plain like without something added.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 10:54PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I like the vinyl roof. Maybe change it to black? Just my opinion.

Edited by stanman - 13-December-2018 at 12:12AM
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 12:36AM
Image result for 73 dodge challenger
 A stripe like this could be cool. The vinyl does look good though, or both.

Image result for 73 dodge challenger

ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 5:36AM
the wide Sport trim is iconic Gran Torino, needs nothing else but a unique graphic ~might~ work

have you ever seen a true natural beauty all Censored up with tattoos & piercings?

suck that rear bumper in or fill the gap & call it good ;)
72 GT Ute

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 5:48AM
Just another possibility, coloring in the flare with a good contrasting color similar to this
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 6:35AM
been done

Originally posted by M Casey Stock M Casey Stock wrote:

72 GT Ute

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 6:58AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

been done

[/QUOTE]

Yes I know...what Casey did looks awesome. It's what's inspiring me to change my car up, but I don't want to just copy his ideas.

I'm headed now to get a quote for several options. It'll probably be more than I want to spend, of course, so I'll end up with keeping it like it is and just repaint the horizontal surfaces and tuck the front bumper.

Edited by Uante - 13-December-2018 at 7:00AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 9:16AM
Just got back from the Body Shop. Full repaint is too expensive. Painting/fixing the horizontal surfaces is much more within the budget, so that's all that's going to get done, plus maybe the front bumper tuck. 

Thanks for all the input! It was fun dreaming up schemes for the car...wish I had more cash to stick into it. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 3:22PM
Out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what was the estimate for a full paint job? I have no idea what it costs these days.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 13-December-2018 at 3:23PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2018 at 4:53PM
Well for a top notch job at a pretty good place he said it would be between 9 and 10K. That would include welding all the trim holes in and complete sanding of problem areas from a previous crappy job. To just do the hood and trunk blending into fenders fixing a mismatch job it will be less than 2k.

Checking around I found a short with a reasonable price. If I wanted the top redone in a different color, say black, it would be about $700. If I wanted the top removed, holes filled and a full body paint it would be about $3200. About the same price if I wanted a full paint and new top since there wouldn't be a buncha hole filling.

Edited by Uante - 14-December-2018 at 6:13AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2018 at 10:46AM
  Wow , I hope my guy never hears about this . yup the economy is good . so if you fix the sails and weld up all the holes , it is the same as covering them up with a new top ,
albos73gts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>