The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2018 at 4:08PM
I say keep the vinyl roof but lose the big brougham emblem, lose the wide mouldin and add a laser stripe in the yeller to brown fade.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2019 at 6:30AM
Still working on getting a bumper donor from a wrecking yard. They were closed last Monday, so it'll have to wait until Saturday.

Meanwhile...Does anyone have a set of Drip Rails with the termination point just behind the rear window? If I go through with this and get rid of the vinyl top, I'll need them. I've located some but they are asking a lot for them.

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2019 at 11:55AM
I'll look in my stash of trim parts from my parts car.

Did anyone else spot the Torino coupe on top of the rust pile in the background by the word "both"?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2019 at 12:47PM
I see it now. Last time I was out there, there were a lot of Torinos of different types. Most were picked over or stacked. I'll take some pictures when I go this Saturday. 

I went out a couple of years ago to see if my 1st Torino somehow made it out there. I've tried to track it down before. Fortunately I didn't see anything that could have been it. 

Edited by Uante - 02-January-2019 at 12:55PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2019 at 2:17PM
Uante....

Looks like we should talk...send me a private message, and I'll give you my cell #. I put one set aside.

Dave F

Edited by hogfiddles - 02-January-2019 at 2:19PM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2019 at 6:43PM
there ya go brent! i just checked i'm sold out of those!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2019 at 2:12PM
With the bumper tuck underway I came across a vehicle with a worse bumper than the 5 mph bumper! And I thought the Torino bumper was bad! 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2019 at 5:06PM
Originally posted by Uante Uante wrote:

With the bumper tuck underway I came across a vehicle with a worse bumper than the 5 mph bumper! And I thought the Torino bumper was bad! 

Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 2:10AM
But just think a second..... you could add a big bell, a winch, a siren, and a water pump!!!

Rock it on out!

Oh yeah... paint it red with a white stripe, too!! FIRE That sucker right up!

Edited by hogfiddles - 20-January-2019 at 2:12AM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2019 at 3:43AM
I like the vinyl top but not all the trim.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 3:40AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

I like the vinyl top but not all the trim.

That's a nice picture. Car looks good without the trim. I like the black vinyl too, but wouldn't work with mine as I have brown interior.

It would take a lot, but I could see a black top redoing the interior to black and taking off the trim and repainting. Probably won't go that route, but certainly an option that I would like.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 3:46AM
My interior was originally ginger but I painted it and put new carpet in.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 4:09AM

Did you paint the dash and dash pad with Plastic and Vinyl paint and the Headliner with cloth paint?
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 6:11AM

I looked at that thread about when you were selling your old seats and saw your interior. Pretty nice with those new seats. Ever sell the old ones?
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 6:13AM
I just sold them about a month ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 6:17AM
I put a new headliner in and used SEM brand paint for vinyl and plastic, their is even vinyl prep and adhesion promoter.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 3:21PM
Being in the frame of mind to remove ornamental badging, I took off my front grille emblem with the leaf/branch sides. After it was off it looked like it needed something, so I guess it will go back on. While it was off I decided to look and see if there are any alternatives. There's the Sport emblem that looks like a gear, and a plain round one from the Plain Jane Torino. I really like the Round One! Too bad it won't work on a Gran Torino Grille! 

Here's the Plain one. 

Edited by Uante - 21-January-2019 at 3:23PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 6:45AM
Does anyone have one of these round base model 73 grille emblems in decent shape? I've located one, but figured I'd ask here too.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 6:00PM
no, i have a nice 73 emblem but it has the leaves around it for a gran torino....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 3:17AM
Thanks John, but got one of those Tongue

So I picked up one of the plain ones on eBay. It will have to be modified, but I think I have it figured out how to do it. Should be interesting.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 1:05PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 2:57PM
It should look good!  Keep us post on the mods required to make it work.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 9:34AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

It should look good!  Keep us post on the mods required to make it work.

It's probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. The main issue is that the Gran Grille has only two cross bars and the Base Grille has 4. Once I get the Base emblem assembly I'll be able to tell which one of the two ways I've thought about modifying it will work best.

Hopefully my bumper will be finished today. I commissioned a neighbor down the street, who is a welder, fill in the Rubber Rub attach holes, bumper guard holes and weld the attach bolts in and shave off the heads. He's taking a lot longer than he said, so I guess it's been a pain in the neck to do.

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 3:39PM
filling all those hose can take a while. i'd suggest on the blind bolts... use some good grade counter sunk allen type bolts, taper the hole some with a countersink bit, so the bolt has some part to partially grip after the heads are welded and ground flush Wink
6#-32 Hex Socket Screw Allen Flat Head Screws Countersunk Stainless Steel Bolts
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 4:16PM
Thanks for the advice, but the holes are already filled and the attach bolts welded and ground. Just some small filler welds left and final blending.  Thumbs Up
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 7:36PM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2019 at 3:57PM
Update on the Paint Project... 

Bumper lowered to take out lights and zip-tie back on temporarily for driving. Also removed the lower trim below bumper. 

Both bumpers are going in for re-chroming Friday. The rear has a small crack in it and a couple of chips so I figured might as well get it done with the front one. 

Got a new estimate and it will be $5500 for welding in all the trim holes and addressing a couple of small body issues and the painting with sanding and buffing afterward. This would not include removing the vinyl room as I have decided to keep it. Probably keep taking off trim and prepping it myself and give it to the paint shop in a couple weeks. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2019 at 5:35PM
that's not bad! considering all the holes they'll have to weld up Wink (i'd ditch the top, but that's just me LOL)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 12:29AM
 Brent ,    I was trying to keep a stock look and be able to reinstall the original bumpers . So with another  I  had all the holes and slots filled and the brackets welded to the bumper So as to eliminate the chrome bumper bolts ,smooth them up . I didn't realize at the time using 72 brackets would have tucked it in . So if you are still going to use chrome bolts . get a set of 72 rear bumper brackets and you  can delete that rubber filler strip . Looks like a nice rust free car .   with the chevy I had the whole car painted  keeping  the top but when it came home it just didn't look as good , new paint , 47 year old top ,  I did  had some issues with rust and poor body work under it too  , so it had to go .  Alan

Edited by albo74 - 14-March-2019 at 1:34AM
albos73gts
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 10:43AM
Looking good Brent.  If it were my car, I'd ditch the top too, but I am biased as I hate vinyl tops.  To be honest though, looking at photos, the vinyl top with no trim does look pretty good, and better than your original setup.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>