The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

paint chip protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint chip protection
    Posted: 08-January-2019 at 4:58AM
I remember on my original white 73 GTS that it suffered alot of paint chipping especially behind the rear wheels.  I was told by my body/paint man that the newer paints are much harder and chipping will not be near the problem it once was.  I am also planning on going with a wider tire than stock which will probably increase the amount of debris thrown up.  I am curious if anyone has any opinions on this and also if anyone has applied anything like SEM's chip guard paint behind the wheel wells.  thanks - dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 11:30AM
keeping all your paint coats (primer,paint, clear) to a minimum helps to chip less Wink 3M makes dome clear vinyl stuff that helps. most factory cars have some in chip prone areas.
many of the paint manufactures have a urethane spray on chip gard stuff that can be painted over but it has a "textured" look to it Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 12:15PM
Mudflaps.
Mudflaps with chrome naked lady silhouettes.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 12:50PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Mudflaps.
Mudflaps with chrome naked lady silhouettes.
LOL
NEW CHROME NUDE NAKED LADY TRUCKER GIRL MUDFLAP DECAL STICKER NAMEPLATE EMBLEM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 12:53PM
My car had mudflaps since day one. They were installed on it when it was brand new by the dealer. It's helped save the paint over the years. They are the nicer polished stainless/rubber ones.

Otherwise, the modern 3M type clear plastic would be the best bet. My truck has it on the box sides in front of the wheel openings and they work well.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 3:29PM
Thanks for the responses, I like the clear plastic film idea, will be checking into that.  Vince, would you possibly have a picture of your car with the mudflaps on it you could post?  Like to see how they look and would definitely consider those.  thanks again
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 4:56PM
speaking of mud flaps... something i've done on a couple of my cars... made flaps from 1/8" thick clear vinyl (like the hanging things in the doorway of a cold storage place) with 3 snaps riveted through the vinyl and the screw type matching male snaps mounted to the rear edges of the front fenderwells! (yes, i said FRONT)
not noticeable going down the road, then snap them off at a show put em in the trunk Wink

why on the front you ask? because you drive through rocks on the road first with the front tires! Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 08-January-2019 at 5:00PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 6:35PM
the body lines of the 72-76 cars sure make everything behind the wheels easily hit with debris from the tires. I have some small stainless steel "spat" style mud flaps I might use but just hate the idea of mud flaps so much.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2019 at 7:21PM
oh i do too!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 3:16AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

oh i do too!

I do like your idea a LOT though, way to think outside the box.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 1:36PM
Here's a pic.  Since the car has always had them, they don't bother me.  The rubber is getting a little rough on them since they are nearly 50 ears old so I may replace them.  But they have saved my paint.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 1:48PM
Thanks, Vince, those do look really good.  Did some checking today to see if I could find something similar but couldn't. If you do find them I'd appreciate it if you would let me know where at  -  thanks- dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 2:50PM
 yeah i haven't seen that style in a few years... but i'm sure there's some around they were popularback in the 80's and 90's
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2019 at 3:06AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

Thanks, Vince, those do look really good.  Did some checking today to see if I could find something similar but couldn't. If you do find them I'd appreciate it if you would let me know where at  -  thanks- dave

you can find them on ebay, I got a few sets this past summer just in case I wanted to use them on my formal and fastback. maybe I'll use the snaps so they are removable.....................

PS-don't buy unless 20.00 or so a pair, some that are priced on there are INSANELY priced but there are cheaper ones on there if you hunt.

Edited by MrSmog - 10-January-2019 at 3:10AM
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2019 at 3:15AM
just search for "muscle car stainless steel flap guard" and they'll come up.
 Post Reply Post Reply