The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1972 mercury montego gt 351CJ Q CODE ENGINE CODE D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 mercury montego gt 351CJ Q CODE ENGINE CODE D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 mercury montego gt 351CJ Q CODE ENGINE CODE D
    Posted: 23-January-2019 at 10:29PM
Anyone know where to find a repro decal?
Thanks in advance!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 5:58AM
This place advertises "Any Decal, Any Car, Any Year!"  It is where my 72 GTS laser stripes came from.

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 8:51AM
Originally posted by normand normand wrote:

This place advertises "Any Decal, Any Car, Any Year!"  It is where my 72 GTS laser stripes came from.

search on here but someone had a problem with some of their decals.  I think they made good on it but you should be aware of this.
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 8:58AM
That was actually me. The 72 laser stripes for my red car were not colored correctly. Not to say they were for a green or blue car, they were just off in shading. I sent pictures and they made it right. Keeping the first stripes to decorate my garage. The second set was spot on and no additional charges.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 9:07AM
Originally posted by normand normand wrote:

That was actually me. The 72 laser stripes for my red car were not colored correctly. Not to say they were for a green or blue car, they were just off in shading. I sent pictures and they made it right. Keeping the first stripes to decorate my garage. The second set was spot on and no additional charges.

ahhh ok, I knew they had made good on it but always good to know what the problem was just on the off chance it pops up again with them.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 12:55PM
I am not sure which decal you are looking for.  Marti Auto Works does repo door decals, and maybe some others.

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Autokrafters also has some underhood stickers:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 24-January-2019 at 12:55PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 10:45PM
Vince - it was the decal that goes on the front of the drivers side valve cover.
I thought it was the engine code decal...I have the emissions decal for the side 
of the cover, but the one in front either melted away or was removed leaving 
the adhesive residue behind. I've owned the car for 8 months, it was like that
when I bought....so I'm just guessing that it was the engine code decal.

Still pretty new to all of this, the forum is a goldmine of information and I can't
thank everyone enough for the advice, tips, encouragement etc....

Billy
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 9:49AM
valve cover emissions sticker, what does 'code D' mean?

if you have a Q for the 5th digit of the vin that's your engine code
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 10:00AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 10:40AM
I have the correct emissions sticker, this is the one that goes on the front of the driver side valve cover if you stand at the front bumper looking back. Dearborn has a few of these, just not for a 72 Montego GT with the 351 CJ built at Lorain, Ohio.

Thanks
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 10:48AM
Ohhhh the white rectangular paper that doesn't last a week ...

there was also a metal tag on the coil bracket bolt depending upon model year / build date

IIRC the metal tag was replaced by the white v/c sticker

so you know what the codes are supposed to be on the decal?

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-January-2019 at 10:59AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 10:48PM
Yep - that's the one. No....I'm not sure what is supposed to be on it.
Engine CID, engine plant code, month and year of production....

Thanks, I will keep looking
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 5:05AM
if you knew if all the large letters and numbers were correct as that tag above it would work as all the small ones in the lower left... they just punched out the corresponding number for your car like they do when you buy a new battery Wink

i wonder if kevin marti could help determine this for you???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 3:25AM
I sent a message to Marti Auto Works....we shall see.
Figured since I ordered a report from him previously he could throw
me a bone.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 4:25AM
worth a shot. if anyone could research it he could
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2019 at 2:36PM
I found out today the "Any Decal, Any Car, Any Year!" slogan I mentioned above for Phoenix Graphix is not exactly true.  One of my Rangers (my best one) had somebody hit me in the side.  I need the small stripe down the side.  Ford does not carry them anymore for a 1998 extended cab.  I thought with that slogan the technology was there to make one off decals for the right price.  Got an email to check back at times, they could in the future add these to their inventory.  I still recommend them for items they do have.  They made right on my 72 Torino laser stripe mentioned earlier on this topic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2019 at 3:01PM
Guaranteed Not To Rust Bust or Collect Dust !

Cures the 💩 's, Fits And Sore Censoreds !
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2019 at 10:39PM
Cool....I appreciate the info anyway. I may try to see if I can reproduce it somehow.
I did hear back from one of the folks at Marti Reports and he indicated they would not know.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2019 at 10:13AM
there's a 1972 4V in there, good start

Edited by Rockatansky - 01-February-2019 at 10:15AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2019 at 12:39PM
 PM sal (powersurge) IIRC he had 1 of those stickers repopped for one of his cars and he may know about those codes Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2019 at 2:20PM
I believe your talking about the engine/calibration code tag. Ford had year specific calibration books that would show the correct vacuum schematic/ emission components for each "calibration". These books were invaluable when trying to restore altered/ removed emission components.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2019 at 3:14PM
concourse Mustang restorers would have a line on that info
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2019 at 10:57PM
This forum & it's members are some great folks - I appreciate ALL the assistance!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2019 at 10:20PM
BTW, ECS Automotive made me new engine decals. I took a picture of my metal engine tag beneath the ignition coil and ordered 4 decals. Looks good to me!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2019 at 6:05AM
Originally posted by texanrebel texanrebel wrote:

BTW, ECS Automotive made me new engine decals. I took a picture of my metal engine tag beneath the ignition coil and ordered 4 decals. Looks good to me!

Thanks for the update, it is much appreciated.  Can you post a photo of the decal once you get it?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2019 at 6:24AM
i knew i'd seen this before but i didn't know i had it saved,

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2019 at 6:32AM
still wondering what engine code D is?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2019 at 1:52PM
Having trouble uploading photo of the decal, I have it as a PDF but still get error. Not sure what to do differently.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2019 at 2:25PM
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
 Post Reply Post Reply