The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PI exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PI exhaust manifolds?
    Posted: 03-February-2019 at 2:58PM
Need some info on the exhaust manifolds that are on my engine.  One of the manifolds was cracked and has a  missing sliver piece on one of the bolt holes.  The numbers on the manifolds are D20E 9431E AA 2 and D30E 9430 BB.  From what info I can find  on these numbers they appear to possibly be Police Interceptor manifolds.  Does anyone know if this is right?  Also not familiar with repairing manifolds but is it feasable to fix the bolt hole area?  thanks - dave  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 4:41PM
what number do you have on your cyl heads just out of curiosity? definitely have those manifolds repaired if at all possible, a good welder knowledgeable with cast iron should be able to fix em up. those are gettin hard to come by anymore.
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 5:48PM
you might have a another problem.you have a mismatch set.i no the pass side has a spacer in it on the 1973 set like the 428.the drivers side i dont no whats the difference is for it to have a 1973 number. i have a set on my 1973 torino with D3 part numbers and i have a set for my 1973 wagon thats getting a set of D2 part numbers.
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2019 at 1:08PM
Checked the heads and the number appears to be D3VE-A2A.  This car has had a couple of surprises in it for me so it wouldn't surprise me if there are some additional non-stock items on it.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2019 at 11:57AM
ok i think thats standard 73-75ish big block heads, the PI heads for 72-74 have d2oe-ab
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2019 at 2:02PM
deplete stock on hand directives and spontaneous engineering changes can cause previous model year and next model year casting numbers to be assembled onto current model year product. there were a lot of engineering changes going on from mid 1972 to late 1973. a lot of times the next level part is by all appearances identical to the PN it supersedes, sometimes there's an obvious difference that requires other interacting parts to complete the update.

72 GT Ute

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2019 at 1:31AM
Reference the header part numbers I recently saw another set on E-bay listed as Police Interceptor manifolds with the same two part numbers I have, like Rock said I believe these were originally a set.  I am going to check if I can find a good welder locally that can repair these, would like to use them if possible.  I've mentioned this before but the previous owner used to drag race this car in stock class and these headers may be another part (along with a cam change) he snuck by the inspection at the track. 
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2019 at 4:14AM
what side of your set is damaged.is it the pass side?im wondering whats your date codes?

Edited by torinojon - 07-February-2019 at 4:15AM
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2019 at 4:34AM
The passenger side is the one with the bolt hole damage, not sure on the date code, can check later.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2019 at 1:04PM
According to the Ford parts catalog, there was all Torino 429s/460's used the same exhaust manifold, including the police models.  Only the fullsize Fords have a different listing for the 460 police and it is the same part number as the 1973 Torino.

It looks like one of your manifolds is a 1972 casting date, so it could have been replaced.  Or it could have left the factory with it - we all know how Ford works.  According to the pasts catalog it should both should be 1973 casting numbers.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2019 at 6:20AM
Mustang Tek is a good reference resource, they don't show / list every part number / suffix but you can extrapolate a little. the notes do indicate that D2 & D3 manifolds were paired together for some applications http://www.mustangtek.com/exhaust/Exhaust.html

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-February-2019 at 6:22AM
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 8:02AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

According to the Ford parts catalog, there was all Torino 429s/460's used the same exhaust manifold, including the police models.  Only the fullsize Fords have a different listing for the 460 police and it is the same part number as the 1973 Torino.

It looks like one of your manifolds is a 1972 casting date, so it could have been replaced.  Or it could have left the factory with it - we all know how Ford works.  According to the pasts catalog it should both should be 1973 casting numbers.

standard police big blocks maybe but the hi-po police interceptor engines got their own unique maniolds similar to the cobra jet manifolds of 70/71. they used them until 74 when those and the d20e heads went bye bye.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 1:37PM
OK, a little more info on the manifolds.  The drivers side has a date code of 07-27-72 part #D20E-9431-AA2 and the passenger side has a date code of 11-15-72 part number D30E-9430-BB.  I will post photos of the numbers and also the damage to the bolt hole area.  If the damage is repairable I would really like to use these and would appreciate any opinions on repairing them.  thanks  -  dave                                                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by 1973gts - 09-February-2019 at 1:38PM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 2:02PM
did the pass side have a spacer in it like the fe 390/428.the spacer takes a flat gasket(manifold side) and a doughnut gasket(exhaust system side).  
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 2:29PM
Looks like they need resurfacing if you can use them over. I didn't even use gaskets when I did the engine on my first gran torino back in high school.
Used a big flat steel plate and elbow grease to get the surface flat and shiny. I think we had sticky emery if I remember correctly. We weren't allowed to use machines aside from valve job tools.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 4:13PM
it looks like a usable manifold, you have all of the flat head sealing surface and looks like about 90% of the flat bolt head surface still intact! probably could be welded with a high nickel content rod maybe done with a TIG???  i'd definitely have them resurfaced so they seal perfectly against the head Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 4:59PM
Sounds like I will be getting the hole welded up when I find a knowledgeable welder and have the resurfacing done.  For torinojon if you are talking about where the end of the manifold goes into the exhaust pipe there was a doughnut type gasket on one of them, don't remember if the other side had the same setup.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2019 at 7:41PM
i think what jon was getting at was if it had a heat riser on there??? usually indicated by longer studs and it may or may not have a beveled edge for a doughnut or flat surface?
 if it has the beveled surface but long studs you could change to shorter studs to eliminate the riser...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 3:31AM
OK, I'm not real clear on the heat riser aspect of this, the engine builder removed the manifolds and they were not installed on the engine when I got it back.  I'll throw a few pics on here to see if it helps.  Am I just looking for a deviation on the surface of the mating side of the manifold for different types/shapes of gaskets?

Dave - 1973 GTS N code
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 4:02AM
it looks like its there.so if have to replace it  your good on just buying the manifold.i seen the manifolds for sale with out that part...
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 4:04AM
Also another thought, would it be feasable/desirable to weld a hardened washer/flat metal piece onto the bolt head side of the damaged hole? Won't be a very visible area and it would spread the torque pressure off the weak spot in the bolt hole. 
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 4:06AM
Jon, I take it the tube shaped piece where it connects to the manifold is what you are referring to?
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 4:49AM
what i was thinking jon was referring to is the thick extension looking thing in the lower left corner of this pic
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 4:59AM
Heat riser?

For factory air cleaner setup.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 5:02AM
Better picture, the part on the end?

Dave - 1973 GTS N code
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 6:06AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

Also another thought, would it be feasable/desirable to weld a hardened washer/flat metal piece onto the bolt head side of the damaged hole? Won't be a very visible area and it would spread the torque pressure off the weak spot in the bolt hole. 

I would find a junk manifold of similar shape in that area, cut that portion of it off, grind both surfaces to mate well enough and have that welded on. you can always run a drill bit through to clean the hole up, would be stronger and look better.  or you can just let me know what it costs to send that junk to se ky and i'll be glad to pay you for scrap weight LOL
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 6:49AM
i was asking about the very end part where the exhaust system hooks to the exhaust manifold.so if you have to replace it you have what a loot of people sell with out..... 
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 8:11AM
MrSmog, I'll be checking with a couple of local welders and see what they think, will definitely run your suggestion by them, also I'll keep your scrap recycling offer in mind should it come to that but not sure I have a box the right size to ship it.  

Jon, looks like I have that part, until you brought it up I hadn't specifically noticed that being on there.  

Thanks to all for the info, appreciate it  -  dave  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 10:44AM
Do you have the part that broke off?
If so, gas welding (oxyacetylene) with a bit of attention to preheating the parts should work.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 11:37AM
I'll have to check the boxes I got back from the engine rebuilder, not sure if I have it or not.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>