The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new guy
    Posted: 12-February-2019 at 10:11AM
How’s it going everyone.
     I recently purchased a 1973 Gran Torino sport. I had been driving passed it, sitting in a field, for two years but never stopped and asked about it. I really didn’t even know what make or model it was. All I knew was I loved the lines of the rear window and deck lid.
    I jumped out to attempt and identify the model and was caught by the owner. A 60 year old woman. She told me it was a torino her husband purchased just before he passed away in 2010. He had plans to restore it after seeing Clint Eastwood film.
     I passed buy the house the next day and saw something ripped up her trash. So decided to clean it up, not wanting her to have to deal with it, but I was caught again. This time by her son in-law that lived down the street. Long story short, he told me she had tried giving the car everyone in the family but didn’t get any takers. He advised me to come talk to her about it.
    I ended up going back and speaking to her about it and trailering it home later that month. I have never owned or worked on a american muscle car but have always wanted one. My experience has been with Japanese cars but have always loved the choppie ideal of cammed V8. Now the work begins. It was missing quite a few things, like the engine and transmission, but is mostly rust free. Now the hunting and researching begins

Sorry for the lengthy intro

Kerry
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 10:31AM
welcome! cool story
post some pics when you can Wink

myself and others here have extra parts
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 11:23AM
Welcome! Don't worry about the long post, it was a great story and we love those around here. Post some pictures of the car, we love those too!

Here are some instructions if you need help;

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/how-to-post-a-picture-updated_topic16433&FID=18&PR=3.html
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 1:29PM
out of curiosity... she was going to give the car to a family member... since up picked up her trash... did she give you the car???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 1:46PM
Cool story. I hope one day you can take her for a ride. Welcome aboard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 1:46PM
Oh, and lots of pics. We love pics.
Eclectic car guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 5:40PM
Will do on the pictures. Just have to figure out why they are flipping up side down. On the price, no, she didn’t give it to me but pretty much. She first said $1000, which I was good with. I stayed there talking to her and I guess she took a shining to me because she kept lowering the price. By the end of our conversation she let me have it for $600. She told me that she still had the re-chromed bumpers in the shed. Also found the transmission in the chicken coop, that I still have to pick up, along with the center console.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 5:53PM
Clap looks like you did well!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 1:00AM
I'd pick up those extra parts asap before they change their mind. Time has a way of doing that to people.
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 2:10AM
Nice!
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 3:01AM
Great deal. And as others have said, get the extras asap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 3:03AM
Bead blasting the body will show the what really lies beneath. Too of rear window should be the tricky part.

Edited by handsofstone - 13-February-2019 at 3:03AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 10:35AM
Yeah I’m afraid to bead blast it until I learn to MIG. The floors have the normal rust holes and the trunk matches nicely. And yes I do need to get the extra bits ASAP. I’m not planning on a full restoration at the moment. More of a rolling restoration, after watching shows like roadkill showed me its more about enjoying the car than anything else. It let me see that even a green horn like myself can make something interesting and enjoyable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 11:42AM
Oh and as for why no one in the family wanted it was due the the owner being a bit of a gear head. He had four other fully restored vehicles. You can see some in the photo parked under the car port. So the untouched Torino wasn’t high on the grand kids list. Coupled with the fact kids are not into cars like they were when I was in high school kinda put the old girl in a spot. I drive around a lot of neighborhoods for work and see cars that would make most car guys go into a coma. Heavy metal that is returning to the earth and it makes me sad to see them going to waste. So getting to hopefully save this girl just felt right.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2019 at 11:50PM
The car looks fairly solid from the pics.  How's the frame?  Any ideas one what you are going to run for and engine and transmission?

Edited by 72FordGTS - 14-February-2019 at 12:52AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 1:02AM
And you got the rims, too! Nice score.

There are those of us here who have lots of parts, so don't be afraid to ask.

Dave F
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 4:29AM
Frame looks pretty good too. Unfortunately the wheels are 14’s so they probably won’t stay. I’m pretty sure I’m going to stay with the magnum 500 look but will probably go up to 17 simply due to the inability to find affordable tires. I would love to keep it traditional with white letter tires but it only going to get harder to find them.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 4:38AM
I might be interested in the rims!
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2019 at 11:56AM
I have never been a fan of raised white lettering on my vehicles. Still debating in my mind what I will do when I get new wheels.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 4:37AM
Welcome Kerry. I want to say I saw that car For Sale a while back in a East Texas Craigslist ad, but they were asking $6K for it. I thought about calling about it, but never did because of the price tag. I figured it'll be a great candidate for a clean new interior and new mechanical's and just clear that "straight out of the field" patina look. 

Great score! Keep us posted as ya go....I'm in Dallas if you are ever up this way give me shout! Thumbs Up 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2019 at 1:12AM
Wow... 6k would have been a no go for me (wife would have skinned me). I was thinking the same on the finish. New engine and wiring but with the much earned patina. As far as the engine goes. I thought I had my hands on a big block 429 in a 71 LTD sedan but it sold to fast. I was considering a coyote swap but will depend on the price of the engine. Have been looking for a 5.0 from a F150 to save a little bit. Would have great power and drivability and, I could pull a boat if I wanted, just kidding. Car was originally a 351 with a 2 barrel (so 160 hp and at best 250 torque if you believe Wikipedia). F150 makes around 350hp and 380lb-ft, quite the improvement.

Dave once I get something new to roll it around on I will let you know.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2019 at 8:36AM
A '71 429 would have been a nice purchase.  I don't know of anyone completing a Coyote swap yet, but we did have one member start one here:

A Coyote would be cool, but a lot of work.  If you stick old school, a 351W based engine, a 351C, 400 or Big Block are all easy swaps.  And each can be built to have way more power than stock.  Keep us posted on your project.  Feel free to start a project thread so we can all follow.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2019 at 10:09AM
I agree that keeping it old school would be so much easier. I think budget is the biggest hinderince though . I’m going to start going to the swap meets to see what I can find. I would in no way turn my nose up to a 351w. I would love a 72 front end but I was looking at the bumper swap done by hammer. Looks really good with the 74 front end.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2019 at 10:42AM
I have a 73 q-code GTS that is getting a 72 nose. I have started referring to it as the "'72 Q-Clone"
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2019 at 2:03PM
keep in mind that the 73 has a slightly "flatter" nose to it but i'm planning on doing hammer's bumper swap to the 76 ranch i sold my step bro Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2019 at 4:44PM
I'm swapping the whole nose.......heck, I'm doing it the easy way. Instead of taking the chance at messing up where to cut the frame for welding the '72 horns on, I'm swapping the whole frame to a ''72 frame.. My '72 parts car has a gorgeous frame, so I'm just gonna use that. The '73 is already apart from the frame, I'm using much of the '72 parts car for sheetmetal parts, that has no interior at all already, so since it's all coming off the frame ANYWAY, I'm going to stuff THAT under the '73 once the floor pan is replaced. In reality, by the time the body is back on the frame, it'll be a '73 body in a '72 GTS. A. Fair bit of bling under the hood, and a Mildy upgraded interior. It's my car, and it probably won't be for sale anyway.:)

Dave
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2019 at 5:55PM
my above comment was for kerry. although i've seen a couple fastbacks with a 74 - 76 front clip on them Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2019 at 1:05AM
Oh, I know. I'm just Explaining my path......I also really like the 74-76 nose. That was my first Gran Torino. I like the whole line from '68 on, but am particularly fond of the '69 sports roof, and the '72 gts sportsroof
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2019 at 1:06AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

my above comment was for kerry. although i've seen a couple fastbacks with a 74 - 76 front clip on them Wink

HAPPEN to have a pic of one?
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic car guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2019 at 1:34AM
Yeah I noticed the 74 has a little more point to them. The grill also goes down lower. It’s probably just as hard to find the parts (and as expensive) to swap to the later nose. Seeing as everyone wants the 74-76 parts for their Striped tomatoes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>