The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 26-February-2019 at 7:54AM
Hello all, new member here. I have a 1975 Gran Torino Sport that I just recently purchased. I'm not new to Torinos, as this is the fifth one I have owned since 1983. I am hoping to get more information here, even though I have lots of experience in the cars from the past.

I am already finding out that for some reason, reproduction decals I am finding online, don't seem to match up with what is currently on the car. I was looking for a new air cleaner decal and engine emissions decal. The air cleaner decal currently says 351 2V, with no leaded or unleaded fuel printed below it. Every decal I can find, either has leaded or unleaded fuel in small print below the 351 2V. And the ones that state they are for a 1975, are leaded fuel, my dash fuel gauge says unleaded only. My engine is a 351M, and the emissions decal is a greenish yellow color with black print, and does say 351M/400 on it. The reproduction stickers for a 351M/400 are white with red print, and the emissions specifications are different. The reproduction 351W stickers seem to match up with mine instead, but are yellow, and of course, is the wrong engine. Has anybody else ran into this issue before?

Thanks, Doug.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2019 at 10:58AM
welcome!
 probably those companies repopping the sticker are used to the earlier cars and mustangs as well???
 if yours are good and readable you can probably have a couple specialty places make you the correct sticker if you have a decent one for them to go by and all the info from it will help Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2019 at 1:14PM
Welcome Doug! Sometimes the stickers are categorized incorrectly. My emissions sticker was listed as a Ford LTD sticker while the one listed for Torino was incorrect. So check some other Fords from your year.

Most of these stickers have a Ford part number. You can try searching by that number.Take a photo and post it and I will see what I can dig up.

While your are at it, post some pics of your car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2019 at 2:59PM
Thanks, here are pics of the labels, and one of the car.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2019 at 3:05PM
 Clap very nice!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2019 at 11:16PM
Nice looking ride.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:20AM
she is beautiful, welcome doug
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 12:45PM

Great looking car!  Can you get a closer shot of the part number on the decal, or just post the part number?  It looks like it is on the left side of the decal, but I can't read it on the pic your posted.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 1:55PM
Is there a certain section on the left side, I don't see it at all. I was thinking it might be at the very bottom, but it is too dirty, I tried cleaning it once, but I may try again.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:09PM
In the box that says "Powered by Ford" it looks like a part number is in the lower corner. Maybe I am wrong (most of this decals have a number) as it's pretty fuzzy on the pic you posted. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:17PM
Oh, ok, I was looking at the emissions decal instead. I'll see what I can do.
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 7:45AM
I got better shots of the part numbers, D5OF-9C611-BA for the air cleaner decal, and D5AE-9C485-EB for the emissions decal. Thanks.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 1:11PM

So far I can't find ones identical to yours.  I tried searching by part numbers, but not luck.  They may not be reproduced.  This one is pretty close to your air cleaner decal:

As you said, the only 351-2V emissions sticker reproduced for 1975 is the 351W decal. 

You may have to live with the not perfect repro or see if a decal shop can reproduced them for you (but I suspect that might be pricey).  I will keep an eye out and post if I find something.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 2:39PM
Thanks, Yep that is what I am finding too, or should I say, not finding. I still don't understand why the '75 air cleaner decals, like the one you linked, say regular fuel, I thought that by '75, cars were all unleaded? My gas gauge says unleaded fuel only.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 3:52PM
IIRC 75 was the start of the emissions crap,but i think most vehicles got the smaller filler neck hole in 76 so you only could put unleaded in.
 then some can be transition cars that had some things that a model year newer had but that car got it ahead of time??? like electronic ignition... usually 75's but i parted out 2 74's that had the dura spark (and one had a smog pump) but my 74 and the current 74 parts car i'm parting now both had points ignition...

funny you should mention about the 351M having the green sticker... i had forgotten that many years ago my mom's torino had the 351M and i remember it was greenShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 4:23PM
The first Torino I owned was a '74 with a 351C in it, and I remember it having electronic ignition. I think it was a change that occurred late in the model year. This '75 that I have is an earlier build, the Marti report shows it being built 11/6/74. I assume production started around September?

Edited by DougS - 01-March-2019 at 4:27PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 5:44PM
i wonder if any of the truck/bronco suppliers would have that sticker? as many of the mid to late 70's trucks had 351M's....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2019 at 6:24AM
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Thanks, Yep that is what I am finding too, or should I say, not finding. I still don't understand why the '75 air cleaner decals, like the one you linked, say regular fuel, I thought that by '75, cars were all unleaded? My gas gauge says unleaded fuel only.

It looks like that repro decal covers 1974 and 1975.  My guess is that the '74 decal said regular fuel, but the '75s had nothing like your car since it switched to unleaded.  The Repros probably just only have one version to cover off both years, since most won't notice the minor change. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2019 at 9:21AM
I just looked around at the truck places like LMC Truck, Bronco Graveyard, etc. and no luck there either. I think for the air cleaner, I will probably just go with the '76 decal that is identical to the '74/'75, but says unleaded on it instead.

Thanks for the help.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2019 at 10:36AM
Hey Doug , Looks like a nice original car , 1975 was  last year of the sport ,  did you look for a build sheet ? maybe under the back seat ?

Edited by albo74 - 02-March-2019 at 10:39AM
albos73gts
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2019 at 2:17PM
Thanks, Yes the car is nice, but it has been repainted at least once by a previous owner. I have not had a chance yet to look for a build sheet, but I do have a Marti report.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2019 at 2:25PM
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

I just looked around at the truck places like LMC Truck, Bronco Graveyard, etc. and no luck there either. I think for the air cleaner, I will probably just go with the '76 decal that is identical to the '74/'75, but says unleaded on it instead.

Thanks for the help.

The '76 one should be okay, no one will notice the difference except you.  You could also try contacting Green Sales with the part numbers for each decal.  They have lots of Ford NOS parts.  It's a long shot, but you never know they could have them.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply