The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C4 Transmission cooler lines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C4 Transmission cooler lines
    Posted: 27-February-2019 at 1:34PM
How many cooler lines are attached to a C4 transmission? The ones on my 1973 Gran Torino are leaking and I’d like to have them replaced. Also what are the line sizes, and how much fluid will I need to add after replacing them? I’m also going to have the fluid/filter changed this year probably too. I have a case of Motorcraft Type F.
-Rudy
1973 Gran Torino, 2 door hardtop, 302, original Ivy glow paint
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:04PM
I think 5/16 if I remember correctly. There are two lines that run along the right side to the front and cross over to the cooler in the radiator. If there is an aftermarket cooler added it will be mounted to the front of the radiator or A/C condenser. Simple to replace them by making your own. Confirm the diameter though. If it is a small leak, cut it and use rubber hose and a couple of clamps to get on the road again. Not sure of the capacity when starting from empty but a filter change and new gasket are also easy to do yourself.

If you have 8 quarts, it will be close to what you need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:07PM
Also, a flaring tool is needed for the end of each line. Get brass compression couplings to make things easier when joining the bent lengths together unless you use flared couplings.
rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 2:16PM
I’m probably going to have my local shop do the lines, I’m going to do the filter and fluid change myself. I have about 10 or 11 quarts of fluid, I used one quart already when I had my power steering lines done. I’m going to have the lines done first, so I was wondering how much fluid is going to come out when both lines are off? I’m doing the full fluid and filter change after the lines are done. Just want to know how much fluid I’ll need to top it off with after replacing the two cooler lines.

Edited by rudy52397 - 27-February-2019 at 2:47PM
-Rudy
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 3:50PM
I had a C6 in a '63 1/2 Galaxie 500(no, not stock.LOL), and I changed the fluid and filter along with a new chrome pan and gasket.  Didn't make it a mile before the trans locked up.  Clutches were seized together and the input drum cracked. The guy at the transmission shop(a friend of the family) told me that if the trans has more than 30,000 miles on the fluid in the trans, don't change it.  IIRC, he said trans fluid is high-detergent, and all the deposits can get set loose, clog the filter and overheat the trans.  Be wary, hate to see anybody go through that mess(complete rebuild of the trans, and I was fortunate the rebuilder had the drum in his stock of "gonna need this someday" stuff.  good luck!Thumbs UpBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 4:26PM
Wow that’s terrible! My Torino has a little over 53,000 miles, If I do decide to change the fluid/filter and lines hopefully it doesn’t seize up and need a rebuild. Did you flush it or just drain it? I’ve heard that flushing it can stir up deposits and cause a failure too.
-Rudy
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2019 at 5:01PM
if you just do a filter change you should have enough, draining the convertor will take a lot more.
 once you pull the pan you can look in the bottom and see if there's a lot of clutch dust stuck to the bottom a little would be normal for those miles but if it's an 1/8" thick you may be needing fresh clutches soon Confused also look for metal filings they will be a shinier color!!!
 you may lose a 1/2? quart changing the lines???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2019 at 2:52AM
If you don't have a magnet in the pan, add one. It picks up the small stuff that may get through the filter. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with anything.
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2019 at 5:36AM
Originally posted by rudy52397 rudy52397 wrote:

Wow that’s terrible! My Torino has a little over 53,000 miles, If I do decide to change the fluid/filter and lines hopefully it doesn’t seize up and need a rebuild. Did you flush it or just drain it? I’ve heard that flushing it can stir up deposits and cause a failure too.

Didn't flush it, just drained.  When I drained it again after it locked up, the trans fluid looked like the side of a bass boat-deep red, and SERIOUS metalflake. LOL
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2019 at 10:45AM
Did you use Pennzoil fluid?
I worked at a Fast-Lube place 30+ years ago and the Pennzoil tranny fluid would turn brown/black pretty quickly.
I didn't want to add it to any cars, not even a little.
Pennzoil oil would "coke" pretty fast too. we tested everything by putting a teaspoonful over a lighter.
Castrol turned black/smoked/carboned up the slowest. Pennzoil was the worst, a close tie with "Blue Ribbon" recycled oil from the Dodge dealer another idiot worked at.
(We were all idiots, but we had fun)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2019 at 12:20AM
Don't remember, was back in the late '90s('95-96, I think).  Knowing how I was then, probably whatever the local Bennett Auto Supply was running a special on that week.Embarrassed
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
 Post Reply Post Reply